500hp engine parts list

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
So on top of me repairing and tuning up the Leon 4x4 to stage 2 I am also building a 500hp engine setup on the side... oh my wallet

Hey guys just wanted to get my parts list checked off as im starting to buy things for this build and get a few questions answered. The car is a Seat leon 4x4 ( exactly the same as a golf mk4 4motion or an audi a3 8L 1.8t quattro, or if it exists a TT 180 quattro ) my poor friends in the USA never got the leon or the early a3. The goal is to have a fast little street car and going to some track days over here in Germany.

So here goes, any opinions and ideas would be appreciated.
peace.gif

AGU largeport longblock 60,000 miles (150hp a3)

Wideband sensor (if i dont have one already, havent looked)

Ignitron ECU, or Maestro Tuning Suite (Ignitron is plug and play direct replacement of the ME7.5) (7500 rev limit) (unless valve springs then 8000)

VVT Chain and tensioner/4 window sensor *****(Can i wire this in directly to the ecu pinout? or do i have to get the entire engine loom and ecu from a car with VVT?)*****

forged H-beam rods and ARP rod bolts (unfortunately not rifle drilled) (is it worth going rifled?)

Stock AGU pistons

Supertech stainless exhaust valves

valve seats all 20

Valve springs? (not entirely necessary?)

ARP head bolts

T3 top mount spaghetti manifold

Holset HX30 6cm, HX32 8cm (rare turbo), HY35 10cm, or HX35 10cm twin scroll (rare turbo)

3" downpipe with 3" 200cell cat at midsection (far from turbo) to 2.75" piping the rest of the way back

Phenolic Spacer

FMIC custom setup

GATES OR OEM TIMING BELT??? HELP???

Metal finned water pump

E85 (255lph pump, 1000cc injectors, BKR8IEX NGK spark plugs, extra fuel fulters)

Upgraded Single mass flywheel and clutch

Custom TIP and Filter 80-90mm (RS4 maf?)

Oil feed lines for turbo

Oil Catch can

Upgraded Diverter Valve

Let me know what you guys think, anything i NEED to add or im missing just hollar, if you think im dumb also hollar its no problem.

Reactions: Connorg115

Connorg115

Aug 29, 2017
United Kingdom
For you questions about rifle drilled rods, have you spoken to bill at badger5 about them? Im sure I've seen numerous posts about how they affect the longevity of the engine (in a good way)

If you're going to go big, might as well do it right! :drive2:

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I agree with connor about the rifle drilling, also i would definitely fit uprated valve springs
Uprated valve springs for the sake of higher rpm limit? Or do you think it's necessary for higher hp? I know for sure the exhaust valves stock are shite.

If so which would you recommend?

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I'll definitely look into the rifle drilling. I think I wanted X beam or I beam rods anyways.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Uprated valve springs for the sake of higher rpm limit? Or do you think it's necessary for higher hp? I know for sure the exhaust valves stock are shite.

If so which would you recommend?

I'm far from an expert on it, so you'd need to speak to someone like bill really, but yeah, imo for raising the rev limit. If you're aiming for 500+bhp then i think you're going to need every extra RPM you can get, both for the overall figures and to take advantage of the huge turbo and the new ECU etc.

Edit: IMO you're definitely going to need uprated pistons at that sort of power.

Last edited:

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
I'm far from an expert on it, so you'd need to speak to someone like bill really, but yeah, imo for raising the rev limit. If you're aiming for 500+bhp then i think you're going to need every extra RPM you can get, both for the overall figures and to take advantage of the huge turbo and the new ECU etc.

Edit: IMO you're definitely going to need uprated pistons at that sort of power.

Yeah I'm thinking of valve springs for sure, I was trying to keep the revs down so i wouldn't have to. But I think it's inevitable, I know I am gonna want to rev that motor especially on the track. Ofcourse the turbo will breathe up top but the idea is having a setup where it also flows well down low. Hence the smaller exhaust housings on those holset turbos.

As for the pistons that is a very mixed topic, many guys in the US are running stock pistons reliably till 600hp. All about the tuning. I wont upgrade them as of yet.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
Crazy how many people say to talk to Bill... I feel bad calling or emailing him with my lame questions. He's a busy man I'm sure

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Interesting. Expensive but interesting.
People say speak to bill because he is the best for the 1.8t In The country but he could point you to some people just as good.
500hp from a 1.8t....rods,piston's,head work,stroker set up would be best but the block isn't going to last imo. Reliability will be a nightmare

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lightup

May 27, 2019
so what is your budget for all this ? im thinking of just swapping over a complete bam front from a audi tt with maybe a rebuild forged bottom end.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
So on top of me repairing and tuning up the Leon 4x4 to stage 2 I am also building a 500hp engine setup on the side... oh my wallet

Hey guys just wanted to get my parts list checked off as im starting to buy things for this build and get a few questions answered. The car is a Seat leon 4x4 ( exactly the same as a golf mk4 4motion or an audi a3 8L 1.8t quattro, or if it exists a TT 180 quattro ) my poor friends in the USA never got the leon or the early a3. The goal is to have a fast little street car and going to some track days over here in Germany.

So here goes, any opinions and ideas would be appreciated.
peace.gif

AGU largeport longblock 60,000 miles (150hp a3)

Wideband sensor (if i dont have one already, havent looked)

Ignitron ECU, or Maestro Tuning Suite (Ignitron is plug and play direct replacement of the ME7.5) (7500 rev limit) (unless valve springs then 8000)

VVT Chain and tensioner/4 window sensor *****(Can i wire this in directly to the ecu pinout? or do i have to get the entire engine loom and ecu from a car with VVT?)*****

forged H-beam rods and ARP rod bolts (unfortunately not rifle drilled) (is it worth going rifled?)

Stock AGU pistons

Supertech stainless exhaust valves

valve seats all 20

Valve springs? (not entirely necessary?)

ARP head bolts

T3 top mount spaghetti manifold

Holset HX30 6cm, HX32 8cm (rare turbo), HY35 10cm, or HX35 10cm twin scroll (rare turbo)

3" downpipe with 3" 200cell cat at midsection (far from turbo) to 2.75" piping the rest of the way back

Phenolic Spacer

FMIC custom setup

GATES OR OEM TIMING BELT??? HELP???

Metal finned water pump

E85 (255lph pump, 1000cc injectors, BKR8IEX NGK spark plugs, extra fuel fulters)

Upgraded Single mass flywheel and clutch

Custom TIP and Filter 80-90mm (RS4 maf?)

Oil feed lines for turbo

Oil Catch can

Upgraded Diverter Valve

Let me know what you guys think, anything i NEED to add or im missing just hollar, if you think im dumb also hollar its no problem.
If you want 500hp rods I'd be looking at these or at least I beam rods not h beam.

https://www.zrp-rods.com/shop/vw-au...x20-rifle-drilled-heavy-duty-connecting-rods/

OEM belt, gates has been known to make noise.

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
so what is your budget for all this ? im thinking of just swapping over a complete bam front from a audi tt with maybe a rebuild forged bottom end.
3500-4000 when it's all said and done. But that's if I'm doing my own tuning. Which I might do to be honest. I thought to take tuning classes here in Germany. Itll be the same money as getting it tuned.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Thanks yeah I found some forged rifle drilled rods I'm happy with, just gotta wait for more paydays to order.
I hear you on that mate. Pay days are a pain..slow to come but quick to go.
Water pump the stock one is known to last 100k so just use what's proven.

lightup

May 27, 2019
But that's if I'm doing my own tuning

that sounds very nice. did you do anything on suspension and stuff? you know what arb upgrades are good ?

Leon20vt4

Oct 21, 2018
But that's if I'm doing my own tuning

that sounds very nice. did you do anything on suspension and stuff? you know what arb upgrades are good ?
Not yet on the suspension, but I plan on doing coil overs and also some special 18x9" wide wheels for summer with 18x8.5" wheels for winter. Bigger brakes also to come. Along with the Haldex insert to make the engagement of the haldex 50/50

lightup

May 27, 2019
What upgrades you looking for?
nice.
im doing chassis first. gathered most stuff allready, all polybushes.coilovers, brembo cupra R brakes. audi tt subframe and steering rack. only need the hubs and dont know about the arb's. and yeah the haldex controller is also on list for when i have more power.