Uninsured car on the road

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I hated doing it, but I just reported a van on my road for not having insurance (I checked on AskMID). The thing has been left there by a guy who is using it as 'storage' and doesn't even live near my road. Parking here is as always, tight.

Anyway the Police said it wasn't illegal to have an uninsured vehicle on the road, but I was sure (and still am) that it now is illegal. Is that right? The Police said it wasnt taxed either although my check said it was, so either way its parked illegally (and half on and half off the pavement).

SwissCupra

May 7, 2019
Switzerland
Better off reporting it for no tax than to the police, remember seeing them around Brighton a lot with a Hiab flatbed just picking them up and taking them away.

Reactions: Bucksssss

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Well the police did do a full check when I phoned so they know. They are sending out a local bobby to check if its there still and will act accordingly.

I just thought that all cars had to be insured now unless they are declared SORN, even if not on the road, which then obviously means they have to be off the public highway anyway.

EDIT, Yes there is now a rule called continuous insurance enforcement, so it is on the road illegally. I think the guy on the phone was wrong.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
This is going back a few years. I can only guess it was stolen / abandoned as a car was dumped outside my driveway with windscreen cracked, wheels buckled and looked like the interior had been set on fire (but it hadn't properly gone up). After about a fortnight of reversing round it, I called the police for it to be removed. They asked if it had a tax disc (a few years back). It did I replied, to which they said there's nothing they can do.

Weirdly the very next morning the side window was smashed and the tax disc had disappeared :whistle: I phoned them again and said no, no it doesn't have a tax disc and they came and towed it to impound.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Im hoping they do something. I wouldnt mind if the guy actually lived in our road, but he lives a few miles away and chose our road because its slightly secluded. Worse he parks his other van here overnight as well and then gets the bus back to his house! That's really not on.

Judging by what ive seen I think the blue van is broken, last time I saw it run it was shrouded by blue smoke. Unfortunately its MOTed until November otherwise that would be another thing to report it for.

When my Cupra arrives Im going to have to use my current car as a block to hold a space outside my house. I wish I didn't have to but its become like that in the last year because random vans have decided our street is a car park.

SwissCupra

May 7, 2019
Switzerland
I'd be removing his valve cores, and then replacing them so there's no air in any of his tyres, but no damage... but then I'm an a**hole sometimes. That's pretty cunty though if he doesnt live there

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd be removing his valve cores, and then replacing them so there's no air in any of his tyres, but no damage... but then I'm an a**hole sometimes. That's pretty cunty though if he doesnt live there

Haha, I thought the same. But then he's even less likely to move it.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I had same problem on my street a builder was doing some work on a house a few doors down and dumped his van here and was not parked well we did not know at the time and rang the police to say a van had been dumped on our street and no one knew who it was the owner off it we told them the Reg and found the van owner and got them to move it while they where here to make sure he moved it you could try that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
Another resident did confront him, but he didnt care, said his girlfriend lived in an adjacent road and that means he could park there. Notice that he isnt parking his large 3.5t LWB Transit outside her house!

Had this before at another house I lived in. The neighbours would park their van in front of any other house but theirs, because the road was just a meter in from the houses and it blocked the light.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
In the past here the council have removed or had removed untaxed/uninsured vehicles, including trailers and caravans, might be worth a try?
Does your builder mates van need some sugar in its tea? Tank.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.