What's causing the grinding noise?

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
When I brake, I hear a grinding noise when the car is coming to a stop i.e. once under 10mph or so. I don't hear the grinding at higher speeds, just when going very slow. I was assuming it's a brake thing as the noise starts/stops if I lift my foot on/off the brakes however all pads are relatively new and all discs have been done within last couple of years.

The garage I use said no sign of pads/discs rubbing, I've not however taken it for a second opinion. Could it be something more serious e.g. a wheel bearing that is being caused to grind when brakes are applied? I 'think' the noise is coming from the rear however difficult to know for sure.

Car's an 08 plate, FR TDi.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
When you are on a slight incline does the car roll easily? When our rear caliper was binding it did something that seems similar to this and the car would "hold" on a shallow incline.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
When you are on a slight incline does the car roll easily? When our rear caliper was binding it did something that seems similar to this and the car would "hold" on a shallow incline.

I did notice the car not appearing to move on shallow inclines when brakes not on. The front calipers where replaced last year and the rears cleaned up as the garage (who are good that way) said still some life in them. So it could be a binding caliper, cheers. Will get it investigated, might need them replaced.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Rear calipers sticking by the sounds of it. Release the hand brake and with the car on a flat road try pushing it, if the calipers are sticking it will take more effort than you would think it would take.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
Thanks all, I know you'll be disgusted but I'm pushed for time at present, a job I could trust a Kwik Fit type place with? My garage tends to want the car booked in, left for at least 1/2 day etc and I just don't have time for that just now.

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
You could but id say they find a million things to charge you for it didn't need.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
As mentioned you’ll defo be able to feel the heat coming off it. When you drive it next get out and just feel if one of the rear discs is giving off a lot more heat than the other. Don’t touch them, it’ll be really obvious. On ours you could feel it as you walked past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Thanks all, I know you'll be disgusted but I'm pushed for time at present, a job I could trust a Kwik Fit type place with? My garage tends to want the car booked in, left for at least 1/2 day etc and I just don't have time for that just now.
In short no, find a local indy garage with a good reputation or just book the car into the garage use usually use

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
I wouldn't trust Kwik Fit to empty the ash tray out the car.

This. They crashed one of my mates cars, it was in for a free brake check?! Wtf. Forgot to pump the pressure back into the brakes before taking out. I’d never go to kwikfit if they offered me money to go there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.