Facelift or pre facelift

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Hi,
Looking at getting a Leon fr have seen a few about reg march 2017 so was wondering what the difference is between the two.
I know that the front bumper/foglight are different, the facelift one comes with an electronic handbrake and a bigger info screen, also the 17" wheels look different.
The main reason is are the facelift ones worth the extra.
Thanks.

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Hi,
Looking at getting a Leon fr have seen a few about reg march 2017 so was wondering what the difference is between the two.
I know that the front bumper/foglight are different, the facelift one comes with an electronic handbrake and a bigger info screen, also the 17" wheels look different.
The main reason is are the facelift ones worth the extra.
Thanks.
Personal choice I would say. Although i'd go for one with Full Link activated (or activated as part of purchase deal if it isn't already).

I've had pre and post facelift Leon's and enjoyed them both.

I guess its down to the price you want to pay.

Steve J

May 26, 2019
Facelift for me personally I prefer the bigger screen and indicators on the front.

PaulyM

still learning
Apr 6, 2011
Cheshire
I would agree, definitely facelift. The lights are better, faster and larger media system, and in my case better screwed together interior (no bleeping rattles or squeaks!).

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I'd pay the extra just for the better headlights. After having gone from a 15 plate pre face the led headlights were like a couple of torches into the facelift the headlights are fantastic.

I think at the time they advertised them as having 30% better range/brighter.

Reactions: kazand

Deleted member 103408

They are both good cars but you need to test drive them first because there are good and bad examples of both pre and post models.

You also need to define what you want from the car and what gadgets are important to you personally.

You should also check specs to see what the difference is.

I love my 2014 pre face-lift and would never change it

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Sorry to intrude but what year is facelift? I have a 66 plate Cupra 290 is this facelift or pre facelift? I’m new to Leon’s; I’ve always had Ibiza’s!!

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Ah okay great thanks! My mate has the 300 and I prefer my wheels and the styling of mine apart from interior!
It's a tough one. I preferred the black line alloys on my 280, blacked out section behind the number plate and the honeycomb bumper inserts.

Having added the skirts & lip to the 290, I've changed my mind and now prefer the exterior styling of the facelift. The bigger grille makes it appear more aggressive too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
See I much prefer the grill on mine, with the black insert behind the numberplate. Not keen on facelift. I also prefer the look of the headlights on mine (not talking about performance, just look). And my wheels although I think they are the black edition ones because my car is the black Edition; I much prefer.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
See I much prefer the grill on mine, with the black insert behind the numberplate. Not keen on facelift. I also prefer the look of the headlights on mine (not talking about performance, just look). And my wheels although I think they are the black edition ones because my car is the black Edition; I much prefer.
I think we're on about the same wheels.
I loved them on the 280.

If the 300 had kept the blacked out number plate it would have looked much better than 280.

6aa5cefc6305c924222d464dc9e162c7.jpg

Last edited:

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
7F78052E-68D3-4BD5-A8BE-40213933ED0C.jpeg
I think we're on about the same wheels.
I loved them on the 280.

If the 300 had kept the blacked out number plate it would have looked much better than 280.

Debatable which one looks meaner from this shot though.
539b16ba4804ab7f363d01873343bcf6.jpg
6aa5cefc6305c924222d464dc9e162c7.jpg

Definetly prefer my pre facelift sorry guys! It’s all opinion

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
View attachment 7967
Definetly prefer my pre facelift sorry guys! It’s all opinion
Nothing to apologise about mate. Like you said it's all a matter of opinion.

It took the addition of the side skirts and the OEM front splitter to my facelift to firmly change my mind (if we are only talking about exterior styling)

I also think the Alor blue was the one of if not the best colour, that certainly helps your case too :)

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Nothing to apologise about mate. Like you said it's all a matter of opinion.

It took the addition of the side skirts and the OEM front splitter to my facelift to firmly change my mind (if we are only talking about exterior styling)

I also think the Alor blue was the one of if not the best colour, that certainly helps your case too :)
Yeah mate each to their own. I love the colour too I got quite lucky because I haven’t seen many about or for sale! Also looks nice in red, my mate has a 300 in red. I do prefer the interior of the facelift though especially the door cards. Does it have bucket seats?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Yeah mate each to their own. I love the colour too I got quite lucky because I haven’t seen many about or for sale! Also looks nice in red, my mate has a 300 in red. I do prefer the interior of the facelift though especially the door cards. Does it have bucket seats?
This is my current Leon. Prefer it to the look of my previous 280.

It has beats, winter pack, reverse camera e.t.c
But I went for sunroof and skirts over the seats.

After waiting 15 months for the thing to turn up and getting the skirts for free I'm gutted I didn't spec the bucket seats and kessy.

The standard seats are disappointing, although the white trim on the 280 required regular cleaning.
11752cf19413696597266f5212d2a441.jpg

Reactions: LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
This is my current Leon. Prefer it to the look of my previous 280.

It has beats, winter pack, reverse camera e.t.c
But I went for sunroof and skirts over the seats.

After waiting 15 months for the thing to turn up and getting the skirts for free I'm gutted I didn't spec the bucket seats and kessy.

The standard seats are disappointing, although the white trim on the 280 required regular cleaning.
11752cf19413696597266f5212d2a441.jpg

Looks really nice mate I like the copper badges, I’m not too keen on the skirts and bumper spoiler tbh! KESSY I don’t think I would ever have as keyless entry is dodgy! Yeah I love my buckets and the white trim doesn’t look amazing but I don’t care about keeping it clean as I’m washing it twice a week haha!

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Looks really nice mate I like the copper badges, I’m not too keen on the skirts and bumper spoiler tbh! KESSY I don’t think I would ever have as keyless entry is dodgy! Yeah I love my buckets and the white trim doesn’t look amazing but I don’t care about keeping it clean as I’m washing it twice a week haha!
The copper has grown on me. The skirts were a must as I went from a sporty looking 3dr coupe to the 5dr hatch and it immediately looked less sporty.

The skirts helped that but then the front end looked too high. So the lip remedied that.
It also now looks meaner from the front similar to the effect of the black behind the number plate in the pre facelift, due to the black part at the bottom. You have to work with what you have :)

As for KESSY I wasn't bothered until I had it in a couple of courtesy cars. It was a really nice touch.

Twice a week washing - if only! Mines only been washed x2 since I got it in January and that was by the dealers.

Any noticable creaks on yours?

Reactions: LR231998

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
The copper has grown on me. The skirts were a must as I went from a sporty looking 3dr coupe to the 5dr hatch and it immediately looked less sporty.

The skirts helped that but then the front end looked too high. So the lip remedied that.
It also now looks meaner from the front similar to the effect of the black behind the number plate in the pre facelift, due to the black part at the bottom. You have to work with what you have :)

As for KESSY I wasn't bothered until I had it in a couple of courtesy cars. It was a really nice touch.

Twice a week washing - if only! Mines only been washed x2 since I got it in January and that was by the dealers.

Any noticable creaks on yours?

Don’t let dealers touch my car; I have a part time car detailing company; i’m really into Detailing. Quite hard to get the time to do it as a head chef mind!! no nothing at all mate touch wood! I have only had it a couple of months I had a 67 plate Ibiza FR but was a bit boring and I have always wanted a Cupra since before I could even drive! I really like the copper mate! What’s winter pack include? Mine has heated seats what else does winter pack give?

Last edited:

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
Hi,
Thanks for the replys I wasn't aware that the lights are rubbish on the early ones as I do a lot of driving at night that's a consideration.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise