Which Alhambra?

Jul 6, 2019
After a specced up Alhamba, main asks are leather and electric doors but more toys the better. Would I best be going for an SE Lux over an SEL? What's the pros/cons for each?

My budget can't stretch to an Xcellence.

Thanks

Jonno

stevie-p

Registered VCDS User
Feb 10, 2018
Doncaster
Welcome to the forum.

Judging from the couple of items you have mentioned an SE lux from 2011 onwards is probably the way to go, the standard spec for them is quite impressive and includes, Electric rear doors and tailgate (remote open and close included), panoramic roof, full leather with heated and electric front seats, folding mirrors, 3 zone climate and more.

If you are looking for one with extras I can recommend the bi-xenon lights and the heated windscreen, as both are fab additions to have. I also have self park on mine but I think I have only used it twice in 18 months, and that was just to show people how it worked. Its a must if you are not confident parking a large vehicle but other wise its just a bit gimmicky.

Steve

Reactions: LookItsJonno

baba_metca

May 4, 2016
The first major safety issue are the side mirrors. They are not big enough so it's better if you have Blind Spot Monitoring System. The other thing is the rear camera. It comes with the nav system /and Full Link at some point/, the nav is pretty useless compared with Google Maps, but the backup camera is a must. You cannot see enough with that long car. And as it is tall you might miss a kid or even a low car. It went over my budget and i did not think that the rear camera will be so needed. After six months I installed a Dual dash cam, that has a rear camera and it can be shown on the main camera screen with the push of a button. I use it like every day. Bi-Xenons are a great. I have it and it's a joy to drive in the dark. Even on a country road, they are curving quite nisely.
You can get the sporty seats, they are not leather, but have alcantara center and heating, and have more bolstering then the normal ones, and lumbar on both front seats /electric for the driver/. Also at some point the sport seats came with heating window washer nozzles /a part of heating package/. They are a lot cheaper, still comfortable but miss on a memory seats and passenger mirror automatic lowering /this can be programed later on/. Nice compromise thow. I did not get the electric doors, because they come with the keyless entry. I do not like it. I kind of regret that, because I would really benefit the electric doors sometimes and I'm sure there is a way to disable the keyless system from the computer. 17" wheels are more suitable for high speeds. It makes the car more stable /here the speed limit is 140km/h - 87mph and it is noticeable/. If it's mostly town you do not need them. The 18" are just a waste of money, the car becomes uncomfortable, and you will need the suspension upgrade. Tyres become more expensive and wheels are more prone to damage.

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Welcome to the forum.

Judging from the couple of items you have mentioned an SE lux from 2011 onwards is probably the way to go, the standard spec for them is quite impressive and includes, Electric rear doors and tailgate (remote open and close included), panoramic roof, full leather with heated and electric front seats, folding mirrors, 3 zone climate and more.

If you are looking for one with extras I can recommend the bi-xenon lights and the heated windscreen, as both are fab additions to have. I also have self park on mine but I think I have only used it twice in 18 months, and that was just to show people how it worked. Its a must if you are not confident parking a large vehicle but other wise its just a bit gimmicky.

Steve
Heated windscreen ? I thought ford had the monopoly on this,is it actually heated or just like VW who claim it’s heated but actually it’s just a special type of glass ?

stevie-p

Registered VCDS User
Feb 10, 2018
Doncaster
The windscreen is properly heated. It is just like the Ford system in that it has the metallic heating elements in the glass (wavy lines that run top to bottom in the screen). I have also had this on a couple of B7 Passats I have previously owned. From what I have been told, Ford owned the rights to the system for many years and put it in loads of their vehicles, but at some point in the early 2000's it was made available to other manufacturers as well. The oldest VAG I have seen this in was a 2007 Passat. Anyway it's a fab system and I have seen a few Alhambra's with it fitted.

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
The windscreen is properly heated. It is just like the Ford system in that it has the metallic heating elements in the glass (wavy lines that run top to bottom in the screen). I have also had this on a couple of B7 Passats I have previously owned. From what I have been told, Ford owned the rights to the system for many years and put it in loads of their vehicles, but at some point in the early 2000's it was made available to other manufacturers as well. The oldest VAG I have seen this in was a 2007 Passat. Anyway it's a fab system and I have seen a few Alhambra's with it fitted.
Wish I could spec this on my cupra!!