Low speed “rattle” or creak

Jul 12, 2019
I found this forum whilst trying to find possible solutions to something. I’ve got a 2018 Leon 1.4 DSG and whilst I really like the car (last Seat was an Altea) it’s my first DSG.

Basically if I start the car, foot on brake, put it in D, release handbrake and then release the brake there is a rattle or creak coming from the transmission tunnel area. So we’re talking super low speed and revs. Noise disappears or can’t be heard once you’re actually moving off.

Car drives really well, smooth changes but this noise annoys the sh!t out of me! Anyone with any ideas?

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2019
Ok, pretty sure the noise comes from the DSG gear selector mechanism...sounds like plastic on plastic - that type of creak. If i put it in park and wiggle side to side I can make the noise happen. Worth a trip to the dealers under warranty or worrying about nothing?

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Ok, pretty sure the noise comes from the DSG gear selector mechanism...sounds like plastic on plastic - that type of creak. If i put it in park and wiggle side to side I can make the noise happen. Worth a trip to the dealers under warranty or worrying about nothing?
probably worth a trip to dealer.
If nothing is wrong at least you have a record. So if something is needed later you have evidence you reported it.

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Would recommend you demonstrate the noise to the dealer... make sure they can't just fob you off with " no fault found "

In my opinion, it's probably nothing massively wrong, but when it comes to noises, dealers just kick them out the door almost instantly. If you show them it, they have to find a reason why

Reactions: Jeffsy
Jul 12, 2019
Morning - just a short update. Dealers had the car yesterday and the problem was the heat shield - weird how it presents as a noise as the shifter but all good now! Seat Gloucester were great

Reactions: LouG
May 31, 2021
Morning - just a short update. Dealers had the car yesterday and the problem was the heat shield - weird how it presents as a noise as the shifter but all good now! Seat Gloucester were great

Hi Jeffsy,

has the problem been kept at bay?
My car, same year, box etc has what sounds like the exact same issue in terms of what you described.

thanks in advance
Nick

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.