Tuning 1.0 tsi 115 engine options

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
Has anyone on this forum tuned their 1.0 115ps tsi engine yet? I would love to hear what they have done and their opinion of the result.

Reactions: Stagsfell

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
I wonder whether much was done to strengthen the engine to handle that power?

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
I'm immediately put off by the thought of squeezing nearly 150bhp out of a 1.0 litre engine :eek:
OK with a prospect of 300 BHP from a 2 litre though? It's how well the engine is designed and built that really counts.

Though regardless of capacity, anything that maxed-out at the top end to achieve big numbers is going to suffer a
relative lack of lower-down torque, often not the smartest option on a road car.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
There's a tradeoff with everything. Squeezing 150 hp out of 1.0 litres is not an issue as long as the engine is built to handle those forces. It could be built to handle more, but again it's a tradeoff. The internals need uprating to handle more- think forged pistons and the like. But those things cost more, so it's often cheaper to build a larger capacity engine to get your 150 hp and deal with worse fuel economy. Drivability is also a big factor, as @'& Son' managed says. Newer turbos are more flexible and build boost quicker, due to variable geometry, better aerodynamics, and stuff like that, which has enabled these highly turbocharged small engines to be viable.

Stagsfell

Feb 16, 2015
We've tended to bounce between Ford and VW group cars over the years, currently having a Fiesta and a Mii.

The Fiesta is a current (Mk 8) 1.0 Ecoboost 140 and the driveability is very good throughout the rev range, so I don't doubt that a higher output version of the 1.0tsi would do likewise. I guess VW group don't need to as they have the 150ps 1.5 which they can fit in the Ibiza when/if they feel like it!

In terms of reliability, the ecoboost has had problems with cooling, particularly on early Focuses, but a new hose layout seems to have sorted that. Another issue is really down to poor maintenance. Failure to regularly change the oil and/or use the specific recommended oil, has led to instances of the oil pump becoming blocked with debris from the timing belt which runs in oil and can start to break up if oil changes are neglected. The latest version of the engine in the Mk 4 Focus has gone to a chain cam drive, I assume because of this issue.

The previous Fiesta had a 5 speed box which was never really intended to be used with a turbo engine, and the 140ps version has suffered synchro issues. The current version has a stronger 6 speed which (fingers crossed!) seems ok.

One tuner (Pumaspeed) has been running one of these engines at 200ps plus for some years, with standard internals and no reported issues other than (unsurprisingly!) the aforementioned gearbox issue. They offer a 6 speed box conversion for the earlier cars - a few owners have done a diy job.

Incidentally I've tried to persuade the Mrs to upgrade the Mii to an Up! Gti, but no success so far!

Reactions: IanH72

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I got a TDI Tuning box for my Ibiza and it didn’t work - car didn’t start and threw loads of lights up cos of it. Got it replaced twice and was being fitted 100% correctly. So don’t touch that box. Go with DTUK or do what I done; sell the Ibiza and get a Leon Cupra

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
I have install the k&n filter, I don´t drive the car much it´s my wife that drives it, but so far I notice that its a little bit faster when pressing the gas pedal, and I can wear more the engine.

Reactions: IanH72 and mopsi

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Ford sell a 140PS version of their 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cyl, however I've not heard great things about the long-term longevity of the 1.0 Ecoboosts.

I had that engine in my last car and I believe the Turbo and a few other things gad to be upgraded to get this extra power. The issue with boosing a 1 Ltr to 145 ish Bhp is the stresses you then put onto other components. THB I prefer the Ibiza with the 115 1.0 to the Fiesta with the 140 Bhp Ecoboost. It seems to have a lot more ooomph at low revs and gets much better fuel economy.

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
If you guys want to read up about this, I suggest browsing Brazilian forums, etc.

They use this engine a lot and actually manufacture it there. They also use it with alcohol as well.

There are several examples of VW Up with this engine producing about 150 hp and ~240nm.

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019
If you guys want to read up about this, I suggest browsing Brazilian forums, etc.

They use this engine a lot and actually manufacture it there. They also use it with alcohol as well.

There are several examples of VW Up with this engine producing about 150 hp and ~240nm.
Can you put some links to these sites so I can find them please?

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
I can tomorrow.

Most stuff I looked through is on YouTube.

It's mostly remaps, changing the turbo for the 1.4L one. Or use a hybrid turbo with the 1.4 and 2.0 turbo's internals. You can also go for a downpipe and catback.

Obviously, the bigger the turbo, more lag you get. In some more extreme mods they also add an intercooler. As you know this engine has a watercooler.

Search on YouTube for Up TSI Brasil or Polo 200TSI. Most stuff will be in Portuguese, but you'll be able to see the pretty colour images.

You can also search for TSI forum Brasil, up TSI forum, etc and use Google translate to help out.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Well with a few mods, they managed to get the VW UP GTI (same 115PS 1.0TSI) to almost 150ps.
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/up-gti-by-milltek/

Anyway, we all know VAG tells porkies about figures (for better or for worse).
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...eals-actual-output-is-134-hp-video-98828.html

Regarding 1.0TSI 115 vs EcoBoost 1.0T 140, ever noticed that the Fiesta 140 is 'only' 0.2 sec faster to 62mph? So where did the 25PS go? Or is the Fiesta 140 a true 140ps, where as the 1.0TSI is actually outputting 120+ PS stock anyway?

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
I usually drive an Ecosport 140 and I feel that it has less torque at low revs, which might make it move slower from stand still.
I think it has 170 nm, with 200 nm in overboost.

Overall, I prefer my 1.0TSI for low/mid revs driving.

In that Brazil article, they don't mention if the Up! was using alcohol or petrol. You get more hp with the first.

SilverPilgrim

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Regarding 1.0TSI 115 vs EcoBoost 1.0T 140, ever noticed that the Fiesta 140 is 'only' 0.2 sec faster to 62mph? So where did the 25PS go? Or is the Fiesta 140 a true 140ps, where as the 1.0TSI is actually outputting 120+ PS stock anyway?

It wouldn't surprise me if the 115 TSI is putting out 120+ bhp in reality. I have seen a dyno graph of the stock 95 TSI and it was putting out 103bhp, likewise the 1.8 192 TSI Cupra is over 200bhp stock. VW group seem to understate the power outputs of their engines for whatever reason :whistle:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Like in Japan, all cars were 'capped' to 276bhp, Supras, and Lancer Evos, RX7s, Nissan 350Zs etc...but in reality....they were all 300+ bhp.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.