Brakes!

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Hi everyone,
Loving my Ibiza FR Sport, it's a great motorway cruiser. Currently sitting at 5500 miles and only 2 and a half months old!

I've noticed a bit of an issue with the brakes over the last couple of weeks. At higher speeds, say 70mph and having to brake a little, I noticed vibrations. I can't specifically say this was through the brake pedal or through the suspension or what, but it's there.
I tried putting it into neutral and braking, to rule out the DSG changing down gears but it's still there.
I don't notice this at all if I'm doing about 30mph and brake to a stop, only at higher speeds.
I've had an old Clio with warped discs before and this doesn't feel like that. In the Clio I had definite pulsating of the brake pedal at all speeds.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also noticed the occasional crunch of brakes at low speeds i.e. when parking and coming to a very slow stop, as if it's metal on metal and there is no pad material left?

On the other hand, the brakes are so sharp! I wondered if something could be wrong? They've almost catapulted me through the window since I've had it and I thought they would 'bed in' a little bit but they haven't changed. We've just had a new Ateca and these aren't anywhere near as sharp, just as I'd expect brakes to be.

Edit:
I've also noticed how hot the brake pads/discs are when I get home and take a look, never noticed this on a car before? I also cannot see any gap whatsoever between the pad and disc, however I guess this is normal because the Ateca seems the same.

Zayynn12

May 8, 2019
Hi everyone,
Loving my Ibiza FR Sport, it's a great motorway cruiser. Currently sitting at 5500 miles and only 2 and a half months old!

I've noticed a bit of an issue with the brakes over the last couple of weeks. At higher speeds, say 70mph and having to brake a little, I noticed vibrations. I can't specifically say this was through the brake pedal or through the suspension or what, but it's there.
I tried putting it into neutral and braking, to rule out the DSG changing down gears but it's still there.
I don't notice this at all if I'm doing about 30mph and brake to a stop, only at higher speeds.
I've had an old Clio with warped discs before and this doesn't feel like that. In the Clio I had definite pulsating of the brake pedal at all speeds.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also noticed the occasional crunch of brakes at low speeds i.e. when parking and coming to a very slow stop, as if it's metal on metal and there is no pad material left?

On the other hand, the brakes are so sharp! I wondered if something could be wrong? They've almost catapulted me through the window since I've had it and I thought they would 'bed in' a little bit but they haven't changed. We've just had a new Ateca and these aren't anywhere near as sharp, just as I'd expect brakes to be.

Edit:
I've also noticed how hot the brake pads/discs are when I get home and take a look, never noticed this on a car before? I also cannot see any gap whatsoever between the pad and disc, however I guess this is normal because the Ateca seems the same.

I don’t notice vibrations however I agree the brakes are sharper than any car I’ve owned or driven

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
My 2016 Ibiza ST has very strong power assistance and I kept standing her on her nose at first - annoyed the Mrs a lot.

The brake problem could well be discs. If a disc wears so that it is of different thickness over it's surface then you'll feel the pedal pulsing under your foot as the pads follow the thicker and thinner surfaces so causing the piston (or pistons if it's not a sliding caliper design) to "pump" in and out with each revolution. This sounds as if that's what you had on the Clio. If the disc is of reasonably uniform thickness but is not running "true" to the hub - ie wobbling" (I don't mean loose but perhaps distorted) at slow speeds the pads will follow the disc surface but as the thickness is uniform they wont "pump" in the same way but will cause the caliper to oscillate back and forwards as the pads follow the "wobbling" disc. If it's a twin piston caliper the pistons will pump in and out but fluid will transfer from one side to the other so you won't get any pulsing at the pedal. As speed rises the mass of the caliper comes into play and eventually it won't be able to follow the oscillations being asked of it so you get a grabbing pulse at higher speeds but not at lower speeds. This sounds like what you're experiencing. You need to find a competent workshop who can measure disc runout and thickness (Dial test gauge and micrometer, or similar, needed) If the discs are not running true sometimes stripping down, meticulously cleaning all mating faces and reassembling can cure it but if the discs themselves have distorted you'll probably be needing a set of discs and pads. I'm intrigued to know how this pans out so please do give us an update on the outcome. Good luck.

PS they only need to be running out by a few "thou" for it to have effect

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise