Best mpg out of your 95/115 hp

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
hi guys
Still looking for my new car , took a quick trip to my local dealer to have a look at Leon FR's and 90% of the forecourt was littered with Ibiza's lol. But I have to say the Ibiza FR does look nice and not a lot smaller than my current Leon.Therefore will have to do a drive comparison when next around at dealer.
Apart from nippyness of car mpg is important so Ibiza could swing it. What are you all getting from your ibiza's mpg wise ? I'm only doing 8k a year and there's only the 2 of us now and mostly around town driving.
Current car 2013 1.2 Leon - mid 40's mpg.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
My long term average is mid to high 40s right now, but I've just started a new job and I'm getting mid to high 50s on my commute, which is almost all motorway and going against the flow of traffic! I've seen over 60 on some trips. My previous car was a Fabia with the 1.2 TSI 90PS engine. My Fabia used more fuel on similar routes compared to the Ibiza. The Ibiza is the 1.0 TSI 115PS. As you say the Ibiza is not much smaller than the Leon, there's not a huge amount in it fuel wise.

Reactions: pompeydave

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Weekly 90 mile trip up the M6 sees 62-64MPG on the onboard computer for me. I've yet to break 65 but I'm determined to do it!

That's with speeds between 65-70MPH. I do go through the 50MPH roadworks at Stafford so I guess that helps things. I'm very impressed so far.

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Both very good figures guys...can't crack 60mpg with the Leon but had high 50's at cruise set at 60mph.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
I once got it over 60 on a trip down south, ACC at 70, fair bit of frustrating 50mph bits too. I normally have the cruise on at 70 on my commute.

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
vc-10 that's impressive , these little engines can certainly get high mpg if driven well it seems . My old ecoboost fiesta wasn't bad but only had a 100bhp so had to put foot down a bit which killed mpg.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
My daughter is aiming to move in the opposite direction, even test driven a Cupra ST - I'm trying to do the fatherly thing and guide her back towards a 2.0TSI FR 5 door as the 1.5TSI with the manual gearbox seems a bit too risky still.

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
A CUPRA would be fantastic but mpg far too low for me lol.
Heard good and bad about the 1.5 engine , 2.0 sounds a good bet.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Swapped a 1.2/105 for a 1.0/110 in the same bodystyle. Long term mpg was 50 now 52 (both summer figures). But the driving experience is not as good.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Motorway journies at or just below NSL, would give me 55-58mpg. Town driving (London) low traffic, up to 50mpg is possible (long stretches of 30mph), but usually up to 45mpg. 40-50mph roads free flowing, gets me around the 60mpg mark.
Best long term mpg over 1600 miles was 49.8mpg. Had a Leon 2.0TDI DSG that did very similar figures.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Mine's a 2016 1.0 litre 3 cylinder Ibiza ST Ecomotive with the 95hp engine CHZB? We do Edinburgh to Barnstaple (Devon) and Edinburgh to Salisbury (and return) at least twice a year. Both journeys are completed on one tank of fuel comfortably. Cruising, where possible, on the cruise button at 70mph and obeying speed limits. She reliably returns almost exactly 60mpg (fill to 2nd click and refill to 2nd click) fully laden, two passengers - self and wife - and everything in the back including the kitchen sink! I don't really bother looking at town mileage but very roughly I recon she's around 45+ mpg around the city with the odd trip out into Mid Lothian and the Border country. My previous car was a Cordoba 1.9tdi and I really thought this small petrol engine was going to be a big disappointment - but none of it. Yes it doesn't quite have the sheer "grunt" of the diesel but it goes much much better than I was expecting. I'm very pleased with it. Doubt if the wee overstressed engine will still be as fit after nearly 20 years as the old Cordoba's diesel was though?

pompeydave

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks guys , impressive figures coming in. I think what Crossthreaded said at the end there is something a lot of owners will be thinking.i too am a little concerned as to how long these engines will last but as I only do around 8k a year and change my car every 2/3 years it prob won't affect me.

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
After driving home from work today:
86xWaGY.jpg

ycnQHyd.jpg

FvU8XG6.jpg

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I think there is a problem with people's understanding of what fuel consumption figures are possible and and how to achieve them with this relatively new generation of small capacity, direct injection turbo petrol engines. My perception is that there's a lot of clever stuff going on with mixture control and air management which is optimized for small throttle openings and low boost pressures to give best possible use of the fuel and hence economy. This is reflected in the excellent fuel consumption figures when in cruise on motorways. As soon as you start to "lean" on the throttle and allow the turbo to produce significant boost pressures and use higher revs the fueling map changes to a much richer charge to avoid pre ignition, detonation and possible consequent engine damage. The result of this is that fuel economy goes through the floor. Of course it doesn't take you very long to discover that the performance is there if you need it so the temptation is always there to use it and boy does it make big holes in consumption figures. If you are prepared to "***** foot" around on small throttle openings and changing up really early (have you noticed how the gear indicator on the dash is always wanting you to be in a ridiculously high gear? that's why) you can achieve remarkable figures - but who wants to drive like that? This obsession with trying to make the engine run on as little fuel as possible when boost is low and throttle openings are small has given rise to a relatively new problem for them LSPI Low Speed Pre Ignition. From what I read it doesn't seem that our engines are particularly affected by it but some manufacturers are having big problems and it can destroy pistons etc. Try Googling LPSI Low Speed Pre Ignition to read a whole lot more - and it's very interesting stuff. Try this to whet your appetite
https://www.oronite.com/about/news/low-speed-pre-ignition.aspx

Reactions: Jonathan Bassett

vc-10

Mar 29, 2016
Mine has improved a significant amount since new. The style of driving definitely affects this engine a lot more than the old 1.2 TSI. Hills, heavy acceleration, all of that massively chews fuel. I'm not driving Miss Daisy, but I do take a fairly relaxed style on the motorway, there's simply no point doing anything else. I don't think I'd get much above 30 if I took it for a spirited run down a back road! Unfortunately those sorts of runs are few and far between, given that most of my driving is commuting.

Cristian CH

Mar 19, 2018
I mostly agree with you Crossthreaded, but have you noticed from the articles there is no lower limit for the low speed pre-ignition?
Driving around 2500RPM does not feel like it should be low engine speed and therefore I should not have LSPI. So my reasoning is I could still have a low boost/low throttle (and good MPG) at this RPM sacrificing just a bit of MPG due to higher RPM.
Getting high MPG is a lot of work as you need to keep your foot in a low throttle position and allow the torque to do the magic. Also this can be quite annoying to other drivers as you are letting yourself slow down(a bit) on purpose when going uphill.

My MPG varies between 45 for the short trips to 55 for the long trips. I think 50mph in 4th gear is optimal for getting the best MPG but I couldn't be bothered to prove it on a long trip.

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
I agree with pretty much all of that Cristian. What I've said above is by way of an observation, I don't actually drive like that. I concentrate much more on trying to run light loads on the engine and avoid making it slog along at ultra low revs or wring it's neck at the top end either. Most of my local driving is done within the rev range 1,500 to 3,500 but on light throttle depression. On long distance stuff I will sometimes take the revs higher with larger throttle openings - pulling away from roundabouts for instance - partly to give her a bit of a clear out and partly just for the fun of it. I pay almost no heed to the gear select indicator in the dash display.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.