Copra 290 pops and bangs disappear after 5 mins

JamesT

Mar 18, 2013
Warminster
Hello chaps

I’ve had my Copra for a month or so now, and when I stick it into sport or cupra mode, there’s some nice pops and bangs from the exhaust when letting off at around 3500 rpm. Great!

But it only lasts so long. After 5 mins or so, the pops and bangs stop, and I have to go back and select sport (from cupra) or vice versa, and then I get another 5 mins worth till they disappear again?

Any ideas?

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Hello chaps

I’ve had my Copra for a month or so now, and when I stick it into sport or cupra mode, there’s some nice pops and bangs from the exhaust when letting off at around 3500 rpm. Great!

But it only lasts so long. After 5 mins or so, the pops and bangs stop, and I have to go back and select sport (from cupra) or vice versa, and then I get another 5 mins worth till they disappear again?

Any ideas?
I was told the exhaust does not change so the modes should not make a diff so be interested in replies,I don’t have mine yet to comment still waiting :)

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Well I can say it definitely starts popping and banging when in sport or cupra compared to comfort mode...just doesn’t last!
This is why I wondered if it had flaps as I had a golf R previous and if not in sport only two exhaust pipes were open which was very annoying !

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Sounds odd. “Engine mode” reverts back to normal after an ignition cycle which means you’ll have to select Cupra again on start up to hear any pops, however if you set it to Cupra / sport and don’t shut it off, it’ll stay in that mode for your whole journey.

Maybe it’s a case of not quite hitting the perfect rpm, when stationary it’s a lot harder to pop then when moving. Mine pops and bangs at 2k rpm or just under(it depends on the gear). I have a res delete and it’s never ending popping/ crackling which I love with no compromise to unwanted drone.

Would recommend you to get a res delete done if this bothers you. It bothers most Cupra owners who get res deletes, it should be like it standard, but unfortunately not.

JamesT

Mar 18, 2013
Warminster
Sounds odd. “Engine mode” reverts back to normal after an ignition cycle which means you’ll have to select Cupra again on start up to hear any pops, however if you set it to Cupra / sport and don’t shut it off, it’ll stay in that mode for your whole journey.

Maybe it’s a case of not quite hitting the perfect rpm, when stationary it’s a lot harder to pop then when moving. Mine pops and bangs at 2k rpm or just under(it depends on the gear). I have a res delete and it’s never ending popping/ crackling which I love with no compromise to unwanted drone.

Would recommend you to get a res delete done if this bothers you. It bothers most Cupra owners who get res deletes, it should be like it standard, but unfortunately not.

I do have a res delete fitted. So it makes it much more obvious when the pops from the exhaust stop. I’m clearly still in cupra mode when this happens, and have to reset it to get the pops again. Quite frustrating!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Res delete on a Cupra 4 drive here pre PPF and can confirm pops and bangs don’t go away when driving for any length of time.

JamesT

Mar 18, 2013
Warminster
I'm wondering if it's temperature related. As I'm "testing" the pops, I get it popping all the time..........maybe somethings getting too hot for it? PPF hitting its heat limits? (if that's even a thing?)

coiloverspl

Apr 24, 2019
I have Copra and mine do pops and bang always in Sport/CUPRA mode.
So, maybe is something wrong with software in your car.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I get pops in Cupra mode, but not sport mode. Maybe the fuel used has an effect? My car seems to like Momentum, but not Morrisons super, for example.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
My MY19 does this and it annoys the t*ts off me - it's not you doing anything wrong (not me either) it just stops any pops/bangs/crackles on overrun after anywhere between 2-5 mins. How on earth do you explain that to a tech as it's not really a problem!
My thought was that it's so when WLTP testing, they'll hear (and know) that there are the pops/bangs etc, but so as not to effect the overall WLTP mpg, it stops.

We aren't going mad...it 100% happens. Now, this can't be isolated to two of us...I think it effects all MY19's from BW38 2018 onwards, but nobody has really noticed. I challenge everyone to drive around with engine in Cupra and windows down, and you'll see that James and I aren't going mad!

EDIT: Just to add to this, it never happened on my previous 290 Black Edition

Reactions: Polly and JamesT

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
My new 290 doesnt stop popping. once in sport or cupra it will pop all day long...unless you turn car off and then need to reset again. it will only make some noise above 2.5k revs i think (ECU controlled im sure) the Res delete on the new 290 makes them more pronounced with no droning over standard setup! no pops in comfort...although i have had the odd burble in comfort with the gearbox in S

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
My MY19 does this and it annoys the t*ts off me - it's not you doing anything wrong (not me either) it just stops any pops/bangs/crackles on overrun after anywhere between 2-5 mins. How on earth do you explain that to a tech as it's not really a problem!
My thought was that it's so when WLTP testing, they'll hear (and know) that there are the pops/bangs etc, but so as not to effect the overall WLTP mpg, it stops.

We aren't going mad...it 100% happens. Now, this can't be isolated to two of us...I think it effects all MY19's from BW38 2018 onwards, but nobody has really noticed. I challenge everyone to drive around with engine in Cupra and windows down, and you'll see that James and I aren't going mad!

EDIT: Just to add to this, it never happened on my previous 290 Black Edition

Mine will do all manner of noises no matter how long its been driven for?

Maybe you are noticing the sounds more because its a cold system under stress? Cold exhaust resonating, engine back pressuring as hasn't warmed up?

As an example, after a 180 mile commute yesterday, once on home turf whacked the stick back and hooned it the last few miles along back roads, i can assure you it farted, popped and down shift crackles in manual.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
Mine will do all manner of noises no matter how long its been driven for?

Maybe you are noticing the sounds more because its a cold system under stress? Cold exhaust resonating, engine back pressuring as hasn't warmed up?

As an example, after a 180 mile commute yesterday, once on home turf whacked the stick back and hooned it the last few miles along back roads, i can assure you it farted, popped and down shift crackles in manual.
I've exhaustedly (excuse the pun) tested in all driving situations - makes no difference. Once 5 mins it up, no pops and crackles. It's easily tested as you've only to switch to manual and hold the rpm at around 3k and let off the throttle - once you start driving at a steady state (or for a few minutes) it stops. Let off at 3k...nothing...reselect Cupra...pops and bangs. James and I aren't doing anything wrong or not allowing to warm up etc. It happens and it's so hard to try and explain.

Actually, it's not...the car forgets after 5 minutes...

Reactions: Polly and JamesT

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
I only recently had the res delete done using a zaustworx part. I tend to do most of my commute in comfort mode so not noticing any pops but i will be testing all modes soon.
However still pleased with the effect that the res delete has had on the car in comfort mode; much deeper noise with purpose, what it should have sounded like on these cars fitted with the dreaded GPF.
Anyone with a GPF fitted in their Cupra should seriously consider the res delete as its probably the only way that you will get pops etc even if its for a short while at a given rev.

A9BNL

Mar 6, 2019
I've exhaustedly (excuse the pun) tested in all driving situations - makes no difference. Once 5 mins it up, no pops and crackles. It's easily tested as you've only to switch to manual and hold the rpm at around 3k and let off the throttle - once you start driving at a steady state (or for a few minutes) it stops. Let off at 3k...nothing...reselect Cupra...pops and bangs. James and I aren't doing anything wrong or not allowing to warm up etc. It happens and it's so hard to try and explain.

Actually, it's not...the car forgets after 5 minutes...
have you done a res delete

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.