Mk4 pre facelift rusty wheel arch problem

Claire124000

Dec 1, 2017
I’m just wondering if anyone has sorted out the rusty wheel arch problem on the mk4 pre facelift Ibiza. I’ve had a quick google and it seems to be a common fault something to do with the foam inside the arch getting wet and never drying hence rust accumulating.

If anyone has rectified the problem how much roughly did it cost??

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Front or rear arch?

If it's fronts then you might get lucky and be able to slap a new wing on there, cheap and easy.
The rears will need new metal welding in, you've gotta balance the cost vs the value of the car.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Happens on facelift models as well, both my fronts are crumbling. Ordering 2 ready painted ones off ebay next month to swap. Not much else you can do. Looking around 100-130 per wing ready painted. You can get 2 primed on ebay for 95 quid.

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
I claimed using small claims court saying that it should be covered under the anti perforation warranty and especially on the basis that it is the result of a known design fault that has affected a number of cars across the VAG range. I think the second argument is much stronger. SEAT denied both and sent me a mean fifty page legal letter telling me how scurrilous I was. They claimed the rust is due to stone chips and that the identical location on each of the wings is irrelevant! to the case went to arbitration and I settled for £450 iirc which covered most of the cost of third party pattern wings.

There is a technical service bulletin that applies to diesel Ibiza's but seat like to claim it didn't affect other models which is an outright lie. I can send you pictures of the rust on mine which might help you to show it is a common fault.

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
I claimed using small claims court saying that it should be covered under the anti perforation warranty and especially on the basis that it is the result of a known design fault that has affected a number of cars across the VAG range. I think the second argument is much stronger. SEAT denied both and sent me a mean fifty page legal letter telling me how scurrilous I was. They claimed the rust is due to stone chips and that the identical location on each of the wings is irrelevant! to the case went to arbitration and I settled for £450 iirc which covered most of the cost of third party pattern wings.

There is a technical service bulletin that applies to diesel Ibiza's but seat like to claim it didn't affect other models which is an outright lie. I can send you pictures of the rust on mine which might help you to show it is a common fault.

What is this technical service bulletin you are referring to? I have a diesel so can I get them replaced free?

alexh

Mar 1, 2017
Can't find the TSB, you'll have to either search online for it or you could always ask SEAT about it. Think it was diesels up to 06 IIRC.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise