Had ceramic coating done yesterday (pics)

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
So I have had a quote for Cquartz ceramic coating £479

Or Diamondbrite £280

Any opinions ?

Ashley_ng

Jan 27, 2019
So I have had a quote for Cquartz ceramic coating £479

Or Diamondbrite £280

Any opinions ?

Diamondbrite is an absolute waste of time in past experience, had it on my fiesta ST and lasted about 2 months, that was with it being properly maintained and washed every 2 weeks,

Going to go down the ceramic coating route with my Cupra :)

Reactions: Betts-4

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Diamondbrite is an absolute waste of time in past experience, had it on my fiesta ST and lasted about 2 months, that was with it being properly maintained and washed every 2 weeks,

Going to go down the ceramic coating route with my Cupra :)
Well the ceramic is a deal from £650 to £479 so thinks it’s a no brainier
It’s a combo product Cquartz and Gliss combo

Does the exterior glass and wheels and complete interior

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Paid the deposit for the ceramic coating,just got wait for my car to be delivered now :) then will upload before and afters

indyjones

Aug 14, 2017
Had my car coated with Cquartz professional, really pleased (I had the glass, wheels and interior done too). They prepared the case first inside, then baked the coating on with IR lamps.

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
Yeah, this was the Cquartz coating, for most of the car. also had glass and wheels done. It was a different type of coating for the vinyl wrap on top of the car but I'm not sure what the name of that was but they did use heat to dry it.

I can't comment on procedures, whether the car should be inside - outside - upside bloody down or not, I got a recommendation from a friend saying these guys were great. They came, did the job, were very professional and I assumed they noticed that the car was outside when the coating was done. I am extremely happy with the finish, and the price they gave me, that's all I can really comment on lads.

My car is near to tree's near my driveway which is why I wanted it done in the first place, and after the wind over the last two days blowing all the contents and pieces of said tree's on and around my car I am happy that I did.

The difference afterwards, while driving in the rain is quite something. The water beading up and off the windscreen increases visibility a surprising amount.

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Yeah, this was the Cquartz coating, for most of the car. also had glass and wheels done. It was a different type of coating for the vinyl wrap on top of the car but I'm not sure what the name of that was but they did use heat to dry it.

I can't comment on procedures, whether the car should be inside - outside - upside bloody down or not, I got a recommendation from a friend saying these guys were great. They came, did the job, were very professional and I assumed they noticed that the car was outside when the coating was done. I am extremely happy with the finish, and the price they gave me, that's all I can really comment on lads.

My car is near to tree's near my driveway which is why I wanted it done in the first place, and after the wind over the last two days blowing all the contents and pieces of said tree's on and around my car I am happy that I did.

The difference afterwards, while driving in the rain is quite something. The water beading up and off the windscreen increases visibility a surprising amount.

The products are made for outside installation and as long as it’s not windy is fine,if windy they will set up tent like structures.

Seems a few people have had it and all good

Diff being was about £1600 for basic ceramic coating at a company where it’s in house ! So guess it’s what u can afford

Reactions: Glennc91

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
If I had a Hurucan, then £1600 is viable. Don't get me wrong I love my Cupra but it would actually be £1600 + the cost of a divorce.

I can't see how it would be 4 x the finish anyway, because it looks perfect.

Reactions: Zer0 and Betts-4

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
If I had a Hurucan, then £1600 is viable. Don't get me wrong I love my Cupra but it would actually be £1600 + the cost of a divorce.

I can't see how it would be 4 x the finish anyway, because it looks perfect.

Yes but you did get a cracking price,having now shopped round i would bite their hand off for same deal

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
It was kind of a group price as my friend had his golf R done the day before, and I also did a remap and ghost installation for the Valeter a couple of months back. I think you'd pay £500ish usually

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
It was kind of a group price as my friend had his golf R done the day before, and I also did a remap and ghost installation for the Valeter a couple of months back. I think you'd pay £500ish usually

£525 exterior
£150 inside
£75 wheels
£25 window glass

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Do you recommend the ghost ? Have u fitted it to yours ?

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
High end ceramic products need to be done inside, but there are others that dont really need that strictly speaking. The 'detailer only' ones really do, but most others are fine. They flash off quicker and arent quite as hard or durable, but they still last a long time. none of them can get wet for a few hours though.

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
I polished my desire red cupra and then applied Sonax CC36 ceramic coating by friend who is a certified Sonax detailer.

It is not optional whether you apply ceramic coating inside or outside. Applying it outside is simply said impossible without trapping dust and debris inside the coating or between the coating and clear coat. It will probably last a couple of months and then come off, worse scenario is dust gradually releasing and scratching your paint and peeling the coating. Yeah, its that bad.
Before applying the coating the car should be polished to remove previous coating and take out swirl marks and minor scratches. After that the car should be degreased with professional-grade degreaser, and then the product coating manufacturer recommends before coating the car. The garage should be perfectly clean while working, preferably floor washed with water to prevent you agitating the dust while walking around. My guy locks himself inside while working so nobody would open the door and let the dust in. Then you apply a couple of layers depending on the product and let it dry for at least 12 hours in the same area - dust free.
You coated the car and left it exposed to elements immediately. When I detail my car (using high quality products) the layer of dust is visible within 5 minutes after drying on roof and glass. Also because my car is red I have at least 10 mosquitoes and other insects on the car trying to bite it.
Ceramic coatings last between a year and 3 years depending on climate and care you give it. I always used 50-50 dilluted sonax brilliant shine detailer as a drying aid. It (hopefully) makes a protective polymer layer over my coating and impoves gloss even further. I can tell whether its still on the car because when I apply it the paint becomes grippy to touch, its not slick anymore. It stays on the car for maybe a week or 2, depending on weather. When its off the car is slick again. Hydrophobic properties are crazy, but when you get traffic film on the bottom areas its not hydrophobic anymore so I know its time to wash. Ceramic coatings are not a perfect solution for everything, but they do work by keeping your car cleaner and making it easier to wash.
I also coated my alloys with Gyeon Rim but the cupra brake dust is so harsh that it still stays on the alloys, but its a bit easier to wash and keep the soft acrylic back paint on the alloys scratch free.

I can't stress enough that you should not expect the coating to protect from mechanical impacts. It is 8um thick after all. I hit the paint accidentally with my macbooks magsafe adapter and damaged the clear coat yesterday. Rocks are making a mess of my front bumper. I have 2 spots on my alloys with rock chips. You can't save your car from impact damage, what the coating does well is save it from washing and drying damage, UV radiation, acid rain, snow and cold.
BTW it is impossible to have active foam on your car when its coated (it just settles to liquid immediatelly, it wont foam) or apply a vinyl sticker, it just comes off. If you can, the car is not properly coated.

Here are some images of my cupra:

2CBC9984-2B04-44C5-BAFF-177AD9F9F016.jpeg 0F4143DB-D17A-473C-BE68-BF6AF1432208.jpeg B126DE7A-A453-45D4-AA4D-3C8F91D3DB0B.jpeg 3D426407-53F4-47B1-93A2-C03B6B42B843.jpeg E6AE1428-9B0C-498B-8A6D-DF141236DA39.jpeg 018EEE20-4241-478A-A347-D516AE7D3AA7.jpeg 1C59ADEC-8E66-429B-ADFA-7E2684466DAD.jpeg FFA7E2FA-E23F-4D33-B0A5-2FFDB8C73506.jpeg
IMG_2466.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: NotificatorZeth

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
I polished my desire red cupra and then applied Sonax CC36 ceramic coating by friend who is a certified Sonax detailer.

It is not optional whether you apply ceramic coating inside or outside. Applying it outside is simply said impossible without trapping dust and debris inside the coating or between the coating and clear coat. It will probably last a couple of months and then come off, worse scenario is dust gradually releasing and scratching your paint and peeling the coating. Yeah, its that bad.
Before applying the coating the car should be polished to remove previous coating and take out swirl marks and minor scratches. After that the car should be degreased with professional-grade degreaser, and then the product coating manufacturer recommends before coating the car. The garage should be perfectly clean while working, preferably floor washed with water to prevent you agitating the dust while walking around. My guy locks himself inside while working so nobody would open the door and let the dust in. Then you apply a couple of layers depending on the product and let it dry for at least 12 hours in the same area - dust free.
You coated the car and left it exposed to elements immediately. When I detail my car (using high quality products) the layer of dust is visible within 5 minutes after drying on roof and glass. Also because my car is red I have at least 10 mosquitoes and other insects on the car trying to bite it.
Ceramic coatings last between a year and 3 years depending on climate and care you give it. I always used 50-50 dilluted sonax brilliant shine detailer as a drying aid. It (hopefully) makes a protective polymer layer over my coating and impoves gloss even further. I can tell whether its still on the car because when I apply it the paint becomes grippy to touch, its not slick anymore. It stays on the car for maybe a week or 2, depending on weather. When its off the car is slick again. Hydrophobic properties are crazy, but when you get traffic film on the bottom areas its not hydrophobic anymore so I know its time to wash. Ceramic coatings are not a perfect solution for everything, but they do work by keeping your car cleaner and making it easier to wash.
I also coated my alloys with Gyeon Rim but the cupra brake dust is so harsh that it still stays on the alloys, but its a bit easier to wash and keep the soft acrylic back paint on the alloys scratch free.

I can't stress enough that you should not expect the coating to protect from mechanical impacts. It is 8um thick after all. I hit the paint accidentally with my macbooks magsafe adapter and damaged the clear coat yesterday. Rocks are making a mess of my front bumper. I have 2 spots on my alloys with rock chips. You can't save your car from impact damage, what the coating does well is save it from washing and drying damage, UV radiation, acid rain, snow and cold.
BTW it is impossible to have active foam on your car when its coated (it just settles to liquid immediatelly, it wont foam) or apply a vinyl sticker, it just comes off. If you can, the car is not properly coated.

View attachment 9225 View attachment 9226 View attachment 9227 View attachment 9228 View attachment 9229 View attachment 9230 View attachment 9231 View attachment 9232
View attachment 9235
Get what your saying but a lot of companies are mobile and either it’s a complete scam or the products are completely different.Surely if the issues you speak of occur regularly why would the business still be going,complaints after few months or year would roll in.I have asked these questions and been advised it’s all ok to use and they ensure it’s the correct conditions, not to windy wet or dusty.

I have read reviews of local dealers work and products like Diamondbrite and autoglyme not lasting long but none saying what your saying.

I also think most people do not have £1500-3000 to pay for a warehouse based product,how much does your friend charge for the service you describe?

I get you get what you pay for but charging £400-800 for outside application for then what you describe to happen,I would be straight up taking them to court but would never pay over 10 percent of the car for paint protection when it should be half good as it is!

Reactions: Glennc91 and r3d

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019

View attachment 9225 View attachment 9226 View attachment 9227 View attachment 9228 View attachment 9229 View attachment 9230 View attachment 9231 View attachment 9232
View attachment 9235
P.S your car does look amazing tho !!

Reactions: r3d

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
Thanks!
The problem is that they do not claim it will last for two years, its always 'up to', so you can't take it to court. They also do not claim it protects the car from something, its always a word game. Its not about the type of product, all ceramic coatings have similar hardness, take a similar time to cure (Sonax says 3 hours on the packaging, but on their educations for detailers they say 12 hours). Sonax trainer said to me it could last two years but expect a year if you are not really into detailing and protecting your car. Every time you pressure wash your car with chemicals you take some of it off. And if there is a speckle of dust embedded within it will become a weak point the coating will come off easier at that point. Its not rocket science of course and its not like its will come off after a month, but it shortens the coating life significantly. I understand the cost savings, but then just dont do the ceramics but invest in a good polymer coat that you can apply yourself once in 6 months and other detailing supplies, you can get all you need for 2 years of washes and protection for 400 quid, even the pressure washer.
I paid a miniscule sum because he is my friend, I got it for 150 euros :) He usually charges under 400 euros for full detail, polish and coating, but we do live in Bosnia where labour and everything is around 3 times cheaper than in UK, and we also have way lower crime rates, extremely beatiful landscappes, hotter chicks and cheap beer (free commercial).

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.