Electrical mirror problem

Aug 13, 2019
I recently bought a Leon for a daily/project car and have been making little fixes once in a while. The biggest issue at the time are the mirrors. They're supposed to be electrically adjustable, heated and folding but none of that happens. I haven't found a wiring diagram yet so I really don't know what or where should I look for.

What I know:

-lots of parts (including front doors) have been replaced at some point (because the car has been totaled and fixed after that, I assume)

-the mirrors have a correct amount of wires (seven on the driver's side) and they seem to match

-the mirror switch has been replaced before since I got two with the car. It lights along with all the other dash lights so there has to be power

-everything else in both front doors is functioning properly so I'd assume that the door harnesses are alright

Does anyone have suggestions where should I begin?

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Have you checked the wiring between the hinges beneath the rubber gaiter?
Also check the door loom plugs in the footwells behind the plastic trims.

If the door has been replaced the previous owner may have swapped the complete door over without changing the front door loom and window motor as these differ to the vehicles without folding mirrors.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2019
Have you checked the wiring between the hinges beneath the rubber gaiter?
Also check the door loom plugs in the footwells behind the plastic trims.

If the door has been replaced the previous owner may have swapped the complete door over without changing the front door loom and window motor as these differ to the vehicles without folding mirrors.

The wirings inside the rubbers should be okay, I have checked them and at least there was no visible damage or anything like that.

I have been looking for the plugs but didn't know where they were. I'll check them next. How do I know if the window motor, for example, is the correct one? There were some two or three connectors inside the door panel that had nowhere to be connected to. Is the harness the same in all the models an variations and the extra connectors are just left there empty or should there be something?

The car is originally equipped with auto ac and electric seats, for example, so I would think the mirrors should bee electrical, too.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
What extra connectors, nothing should be unplugged?
Any chance of some pics?

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
And no many of these cars didn't come with electric folding mirrors, especially the earlier ones that were equipped with electric seats.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
You need check the front window motor part numbers.

These are a pair I sold a little while ago, if you zoom in you can cross reference the part numbers.
e71469b9d1e6c3f789a10204bbf67a3b.jpg

Aug 13, 2019
643d47f9559d37856097464f8e7b4ea9.jpg

67ca7dec2e95c8edc62e07c4bf4b5d29.jpg

There are the empty connectors, one 2pin an one 4pin in the front above the window motor and one 2 pin near the door lock system.

The part number for the window motor was 1j1 959 801c, I think it really would be for the not folding ones.

Even if there's folding or not, it doesn't still make sense to me why the mirrors are completely lifeless.

cf6a15189da06ed04dd67d0f440b1ebc.jpg

Lastly, the connector on the mirror. Seven wires.

Also, managed to find the plugs for the door harnesses. Nothing was visibly wrong with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2019
Thank you! So also based on the numbers it seems that the mirrors shouldn't be foldable. I think I have to check part numbers from some other parts too and at least order a new switch.

That still leaves me with many questions because I'd assume the basic functions would still work the same way with a different switch.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
No worries, there are so many different combinations of looms, mirrors and motors, it's hard to work it all out, especially if the car has been rebuilt.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.