Boost

Daz1.8T

Aug 1, 2019
hey people this is my first post so please bare with me.
I drive a seat Leon 1.8T AUQ, I recently bought it couple months back. It’s ment to be standard apart from the Interior seats and a remap.
So far I’ve replaced a lot of those Standard breather pipes, gave it a service filters oil plugs. Fitted cat back exhaust straight through, fitted boost gauge in drives side window air vent. All Runs good have a little noise coming from a belt which I believe to be the timing belt so next job will be belt pump tensioner change.

What my issue is my boost is holding 25 psi and boosts great but looking into the post etc in here I see a standard 1.8t cupra boost holds around 8-10psi, and remapped stage 1 would spike at 18 boost hold about 15psi and stage 2 spikes 23-25 holds 20 roughly.(readings if correct is what I’ve read online)

I’m trying to get a idea on, if mine is stage one why is boost so high it boosts up to 25psi through all gears. It does sometimes get spikey on the gauge can hear boost come and go and sometimes I hit the 4000rpm mark on full throttle and feels like car has died and all powers gone turbo gauge drops completely change gear and off we go again.

In past couple of days the traction control light flickers now when the above mentioned happens so after reading up am I right to believe maybe the maff sensor needs to be replace ??
It don’t feel like it’s a stage 2 but feels like stage 1, well to me feels like it as it’s quicker then my A4 2.0tfsi BUL 225 BHP pulls a lot quicker

Also the turbo sometimes goes into limp mode and only boosts 5psi reset the engine it’s back to normal well not limp mode anyways lol

I know I could do with sticking it on vag com as I hear that a need for these type of engines if any one in North Yorkshire has one and wouldn’t mind be much appreciated.

Also if anyone has any ideas why it boosts so high I’d be grateful to hear them.
Thanks Daz

Here’s a little video
link:
on near full throttle and I let off throttle and go again

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Had a cupra t few years back and it did the same, little to no boost until you killed it n fired it back up. Turbo whent bang a few month later. Id have a look at the condition of your turbo or could be a dodgy map?

Reactions: Daz1.8T

Daz1.8T

Aug 1, 2019
Had a cupra t few years back and it did the same, little to no boost until you killed it n fired it back up. Turbo whent bang a few month later. Id have a look at the condition of your turbo or could be a dodgy map?
Hi thanks for your reply buddy and after recently looking over the car and at the turbo without stripping anything off I think the seal is gone as it’s leaking some oil from outlet side of turbo if I’m correct saying that. Regarding the dodgy map it could be As all I have is the receipt for the remap in the folder no printout of RR.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Daz1.8T

Aug 1, 2019
Do you have any whistles when spooling?
No It don’t mate not that I can hear anyway, theres No unusual noises. On tick over gauge reads -20, which I believe to be normal and when boost starts to build up just after 2k and when foot down the boost pressure increasly massively can hear it build and when realise throttle can here it boost off like it would.
I’m just wondering if maybe it has had a stage 2 at some point and when it was sold original standard parts was put back on ? Could this be a possibility also? I’ve noticed the engine bay gets very warm warmer then other turbos I’ve driven. Just if that relates to the next stage map (2) could it be the standard parts restricting the air flow to cool down areas ?
my temp gauge sits Perfect never moves when heated up. Thanks daz

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
No It don’t mate not that I can hear anyway, theres No unusual noises. On tick over gauge reads -20, which I believe to be normal and when boost starts to build up just after 2k and when foot down the boost pressure increasly massively can hear it build and when realise throttle can here it boost off like it would.
I’m just wondering if maybe it has had a stage 2 at some point and when it was sold original standard parts was put back on ? Could this be a possibility also? I’ve noticed the engine bay gets very warm warmer then other turbos I’ve driven. Just if that relates to the next stage map (2) could it be the standard parts restricting the air flow to cool down areas ?
my temp gauge sits Perfect never moves when heated up. Thanks daz
Id have your gauge calibrated. Is it new?

Daz1.8T

Aug 1, 2019
Id have your gauge calibrated. Is it new?
yes brand new buddy and I thought at idle no gear selected the -20 in.hg would be normal for the vacuum any load works it way to 0 and in to the positive psi side. I think vag com will be my source to figure it out

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
yes brand new buddy and I thought at idle no gear selected the -20 in.hg would be normal for the vacuum any load works it way to 0 and in to the positive psi side. I think vag com will be my source to figure it out
Ye try that. Mine sits at -.7 or .8 at idle and im running ko4 non remapped

Daz1.8T

Aug 1, 2019
Ye try that. Mine sits at -.7 or .8 at idle and im running ko4 non remapped
Yeh you got the BAM ? I wanted to do the KO4 conversion just cars done way too many miles unless turbo blows it staying as is. Here’s where I linked up my boost gauge would that give a proper reading ??

Also I added a catch can into the system as was going to some Deletes but found it’s linked into the Sai system so need to get a plate to delete that off and go again
Couldn’t find anywhere to put can so placed at the front for now will move above battery box when induction kit comes

tried to clear some of that oil vapour entering the system so left the can in as the pipes was very bitty and I felt the difference when changing just those red breather pipes.

Excuse messy engine bay

Attachments

• F25E2DFA-11A3-47AB-932B-1AFD86BC76EC.jpeg
    F25E2DFA-11A3-47AB-932B-1AFD86BC76EC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
  • FB668658-E9E8-47B7-B8E0-870EE8914E22.jpeg
    FB668658-E9E8-47B7-B8E0-870EE8914E22.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 179

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
Daz, take it to a reputable place to get it checked over. Someone like R-Tech can look over it and tell you what the faults are and they now run a pitstop garage where you can get the faults fixed.

They also have a rolling road and will be able to tell you what type of map you have on it.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
Yeh you got the BAM ? I wanted to do the KO4 conversion just cars done way too many miles unless turbo blows it staying as is. Here’s where I linked up my boost gauge would that give a proper reading ??

Also I added a catch can into the system as was going to some Deletes but found it’s linked into the Sai system so need to get a plate to delete that off and go again
Couldn’t find anywhere to put can so placed at the front for now will move above battery box when induction kit comes

tried to clear some of that oil vapour entering the system so left the can in as the pipes was very bitty and I felt the difference when changing just those red breather pipes.

Excuse messy engine bay
Loving that rocker cover

Daz1.8T

Aug 1, 2019
Daz, take it to a reputable place to get it checked over. Someone like R-Tech can look over it and tell you what the faults are and they now run a pitstop garage where you can get the faults fixed.

They also have a rolling road and will be able to tell you what type of map you have on it.
Hey there buddy thank you I was thinking along those line as a last resort. Just taking it easy for now as money is tied up on another project thank you for your reply buddy

Daz1.8T

Aug 1, 2019
Loving that rocker cover
thank you. I was changing the gasket so thought I’d get rid of the silver flakey paint that was there now no more flakes and lovely blue. Was going to go down the route of skittles colour theme one pipe at a time lol.

bigT's lcr

Delete. Beat. Repeat...
Feb 27, 2016
Leeds
thank you. I was changing the gasket so thought I’d get rid of the silver flakey paint that was there now no more flakes and lovely blue. Was going to go down the route of skittles colour theme one pipe at a time lol.
I toyed with the idea of having every colour in the bay but im going with a blue and purple theme now

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.