Had ceramic coating done yesterday (pics)

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Thanks!
The problem is that they do not claim it will last for two years, its always 'up to', so you can't take it to court. They also do not claim it protects the car from something, its always a word game. Its not about the type of product, all ceramic coatings have similar hardness, take a similar time to cure (Sonax says 3 hours on the packaging, but on their educations for detailers they say 12 hours). Sonax trainer said to me it could last two years but expect a year if you are not really into detailing and protecting your car. Every time you pressure wash your car with chemicals you take some of it off. And if there is a speckle of dust embedded within it will become a weak point the coating will come off easier at that point. Its not rocket science of course and its not like its will come off after a month, but it shortens the coating life significantly. I understand the cost savings, but then just dont do the ceramics but invest in a good polymer coat that you can apply yourself once in 6 months and other detailing supplies, you can get all you need for 2 years of washes and protection for 400 quid, even the pressure washer.
I paid a miniscule sum because he is my friend, I got it for 150 euros :) He usually charges under 400 euros for full detail, polish and coating, but we do live in Bosnia where labour and everything is around 3 times cheaper than in UK, and we also have way lower crime rates, extremely beatiful landscappes, hotter chicks and cheap beer (free commercial).
Probably be cheaper for me to pay him and drive over lol !

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
Do you recommend the ghost ? Have u fitted it to yours ?

Oh of course. My car is on the drive outside the house and I sleep soundly with the Ghost on there. Again, there's always a keyboard warrior who thinks they know better, but if you speak to anyone who knows anything about the product, your car is not getting taken away if you have a Ghost on there. I am an installer of course, but you wont have seen me trying to flog ghost installs on this forum, so this is my view as a user, not a sales pitch as an installer.

As a car enthusiast, when I get my new car the things I am not happy until they are on goes as such

Powerful subwoofer
Remap
subtle bodywork / bodykit changes to make my car unique
Tracker system.

Since having a Ghost that has now changed from a tracker to a ghost install and since having this particular colour of car and having the Ceramic, I would add that too

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Do you find it annoying having to key in a code before starting it?

What price should I be looking at paying for it and where do you cover as an installer ?

Oh of course. My car is on the drive outside the house and I sleep soundly with the Ghost on there. Again, there's always a keyboard warrior who thinks they know better, but if you speak to anyone who knows anything about the product, your car is not getting taken away if you have a Ghost on there. I am an installer of course, but you wont have seen me trying to flog ghost installs on this forum, so this is my view as a user, not a sales pitch as an installer.

As a car enthusiast, when I get my new car the things I am not happy until they are on goes as such

Powerful subwoofer
Remap
Tracker system.

Since having a Ghost that has now changed from a tracker to a ghost install and since having this particular colour of car and having the Ceramic, I would add that too[/QUOT

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Been quoted £350 is that good price

Powerful subwoofer
Remap
Tracker system.

Since having a Ghost that has now changed from a tracker to a ghost install and since having this particular colour of car and having the Ceramic, I would add that too[/QUO

Cranny D

Dec 24, 2018
Been quoted £350 is that good price

Hi mate,

Just stumbled across this post. I have ceramic coating and ghost installed. It takes me no longer than a few seconds to enter the code. It gets to the point where you don't even realise the additional time it takes to enter! Small price to pay for the additional security IMO! :)

Reactions: Glennc91

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
What did you pay ?
Hi mate,

Just stumbled across this post. I have ceramic coating and ghost installed. It takes me no longer than a few seconds to enter the code. It gets to the point where you don't even realise the additional time it takes to enter! Small price to pay for the additional security IMO! :)
idn

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
Autowatch the manufacturer stipulate that as an installer, you have to charge £399 regardless of whether its a Cupra, which takes 45 minutes or a new discovery which takes me 6 hours! If I am caught selling it cheaper, like £350 then I risk being dropped as an installer.

There are special cases such as group discounts etc, but for individual customers it is £399.

I work from a unit in Milton Keynes, but I am sure someone on google will come to you in your area, there is a lot of us now!

As Cranny says, it becomes second nature and I would say it adds less than a second to enter my 4 button pin on the steering wheel so really adds no time to my engine start routine. I did a youtube demonstration on my old 290 a couple of years back here if you fancy a butchers...

my 290 was beautiful wasn't it ;-)

Reactions: Legojon

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Autowatch the manufacturer stipulate that as an installer, you have to charge £399 regardless of whether its a Cupra, which takes 45 minutes or a new discovery which takes me 6 hours! If I am caught selling it cheaper, like £350 then I risk being dropped as an installer.

There are special cases such as group discounts etc, but for individual customers it is £399.

I work from a unit in Milton Keynes, but I am sure someone on google will come to you in your area, there is a lot of us now!

As Cranny says, it becomes second nature and I would say it adds less than a second to enter my 4 button pin on the steering wheel so really adds no time to my engine start routine. I did a youtube demonstration on my old 290 a couple of years back here if you fancy a butchers...

my 290 was beautiful wasn't it ;-)
Interesting as I have quote for £350 but now I’m not sure because half the reason I was justifying the cost was lower insurance but it’s not Thatcham approved.Did your insurance take into consideration? And why is it not as it appears great and better than most cat 2 Thatcham however they are only 50m60 quid

Glennc91

Nov 1, 2016
What about when a dealer works in your car? Do you have to go and explain it all to them or de activate it? @Glennc91

It has a service mode, so you can deactivate the ghost after your pin has been entered (before anyone asks why thieves cant just deactivate it) so you don't go having to tell the lads at the car wash or dealer what your pin is. If somehow someone then stole your car from the car wash or dealer by some coincidence while ghost was in service mode, the ghost would reactivate itself once the car hits 32mph and continues to drive for 15 minutes.

Autowatch are working on the insurance approval. At the moment, the benefit isn't getting 60 quid a year off your premium, it's waking up to your car every morning rather than an empty driveway. It's the peace of mind.

I had a customer come to see me who chose to have a tracker system instead of the ghost and I will explain the difference. Bare with me, this is quite a long story...

AMG45 mercedes, petronas edition. Had a tracker fitted, but cars like this are stolen to order as it is quite distinguishable. Anyway, the car was taken very easily as it was keyless go. No sign of it as tracker was found and removed within the hour by the thief. Couple of months later the police called my customer as they had got his car back. The thieves had faked some documents and put the mileage up by 15k on the car and sold it on autotrader with only one key. So the purchaser went to mercedes to get another key, mercedes called the police. The purchaser lost the £30k he spent on the car and there was nothing he could do about it. The police gave the car back to my customer who was the actual owner, car now registered as stolen recovered, mileage unverified, service history all over the place.... Car worth half what it was before it was taken even though its now home safe and sound.... Tracker system lowers your premium, ghost doesn't currently. The whole scenario would have been avoided with a ghost installed.

I don't care who you use to install your ghost, but being in the car security business, make the next £400 you spend on your car a Ghost!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
It has a service mode, so you can deactivate the ghost after your pin has been entered (before anyone asks why thieves cant just deactivate it) so you don't go having to tell the lads at the car wash or dealer what your pin is. If somehow someone then stole your car from the car wash or dealer by some coincidence while ghost was in service mode, the ghost would reactivate itself once the car hits 32mph and continues to drive for 15 minutes.

Autowatch are working on the insurance approval. At the moment, the benefit isn't getting 60 quid a year off your premium, it's waking up to your car every morning rather than an empty driveway. It's the peace of mind.

I had a customer come to see me who chose to have a tracker system instead of the ghost and I will explain the difference. Bare with me, this is quite a long story...

AMG45 mercedes, petronas edition. Had a tracker fitted, but cars like this are stolen to order as it is quite distinguishable. Anyway, the car was taken very easily as it was keyless go. No sign of it as tracker was found and removed within the hour by the thief. Couple of months later the police called my customer as they had got his car back. The thieves had faked some documents and put the mileage up by 15k on the car and sold it on autotrader with only one key. So the purchaser went to mercedes to get another key, mercedes called the police. The purchaser lost the £30k he spent on the car and there was nothing he could do about it. The police gave the car back to my customer who was the actual owner, car now registered as stolen recovered, mileage unverified, service history all over the place.... Car worth half what it was before it was taken even though its now home safe and sound.... Tracker system lowers your premium, ghost doesn't currently. The whole scenario would have been avoided with a ghost installed.

I don't care who you use to install your ghost, but being in the car security business, make the next £400 you spend on your car a Ghost!
Sounds great; what about when the guys test drive the car after fixing it?

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019

You do certainly sell it and I do want it,I do have in the back of my mind the comments about then coming into my house tho but I know the chances are minimal and I have cameras and an alarm.

I like the look of the Ghost app that allows for encrypted iPhone code so it works like keyless but I want to know how far the radius is as if it’s like keyless and my phone is on my bedside table at front of house,would it allow the car to be started or would you have to actually be in the car ?

Do you you use it ?

indyjones

Aug 14, 2017

Not The greatest pictures, all that were left on their site.
53137491_2112767502106080_4637183796154728448_o.jpg 53305567_2112767648772732_6121360846808416256_o.jpg 53389837_2114371771945653_589577324727369728_o.jpg 53678155_2114370995279064_5112423069918429184_o.jpg

MiTz

Jul 23, 2018
I had mine done a few weeks back (Gtechniq CSL)... They applied it in a garage and kept it overnight to cure, i was also told not to wash it for a week. Apparently its supposed to last 3 - 5 years, so we'll see.

I couldn't afford full paint correction, which is my only regret. So I do have a few minor scratches visible under the coating, although all swirls are gone. Another thing I've noticed is the orange peel effect on the paint is a bit more noticeable because of the high gloss finish.

It's a breeze washing the car though, a simple wash and dry for a showroom finish. Overall I'm happy :cool:

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
if they need to test drive it for more than 15 minutes then they haven't fixed
Yeah but I think it depends on their location and also traffic, what the problem was, and if they decided they want to take it for a longer drive as it’s a Cupra ;) my brother works near a dual carriageway and the only way he can road test cars is to take them down the dual then back up at the next roundabout; which takes more than 15 mins. What WOULD happen?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.