Water dripping under car

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
During a drive up to Glasgow today I ran over some hedge cuttings which bounced around under my car.

On arrival at my hotel I was informed by MrsMsypack that there was a puddle of water under my car. I looked underneath and removed some wet debris and cleaned the area up and all looked well. After a walk and food I went back and checked under the car and it was dry. MrsMaypack suggested moving to another parking place (car next to me was too close ) so I did.

When parked up there was a dribble of water and a number of drips which has slowed down but not stopped.

I have checked all bottles under the bonnet and all are showing correct levels
IMG_0196.JPG

The water is dripping from this area underneath but I have no idea where it’s coming from
IMG_0176.JPG

I have tried the front and rear windscreen washers and both work fine with no extra drips when being run.

It is definitely water and I’m wondering if some wet plant debris is under my car or if I have a problem? Can’t get to a garage as I’m at a Foo Fighters concert then parking up for 10 days and flying to Malta.

Any Mechanically minded people any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashley_ng

Jan 27, 2019
During a drive up to Glasgow today I ran over some hedge cuttings which bounced around under my car.

On arrival at my hotel I was informed by MrsMsypack that there was a puddle of water under my car. I looked underneath and removed some wet debris and cleaned the area up and all looked well. After a walk and food I went back and checked under the car and it was dry. MrsMaypack suggested moving to another parking place (car next to me was too close ) so I did.

When parked up there was a dribble of water and a number of drips which has slowed down but not stopped.

I have checked all bottles under the bonnet and all are showing correct levels
View attachment 9328

The water is dripping from this area underneath but I have no idea where it’s coming from
View attachment 9329

I have tried the front and rear windscreen washers and both work fine with no extra drips when being run.

It is definitely water and I’m wondering if some wet plant debris is under my car or if I have a problem? Can’t get to a garage as I’m at a Foo Fighters concert then parking up for 10 days and flying to Malta.

Any Mechanically minded people any ideas?

Did you have the AC on? More than likely from the condensate

Reactions: Maypack

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
If the aircon has been on it could well just be condensation dripping from that, its really common.

I did have the Aircon on and the Engine was still hot too. If it is the Aircon should the condensate stop then if the car isn’t driven for a day or so?

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I did have the Aircon on and it was a 2+ hour journey. Thanks for the info

Regardless of knowing this I still always panic when I see the puddle under the car... i dip my finger in it check its not coolant or something! lol

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Regardless of knowing this I still always panic when I see the puddle under the car... i dip my finger in it check its not coolant or something! lol

Did exactly the same and due to plant debris bashing around under the car I assumed it had caused damage. Hopefully that will not be the case

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
it can pool on the undertray and drip off... if its just condensate then it wont smell of anything really, but it will be greasy to the touch. If its coolant or washer fluid then it will have a scent (assuming you dont just use water).

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
it can pool on the undertray and drip off... if its just condensate then it wont smell of anything really, but it will be greasy to the touch. If its coolant or washer fluid then it will have a scent (assuming you dont just use water).

No scent to it at all. Just looks clear like water but doesn’t appear to feel greasy at all.

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
No scent to it at all. Just looks clear like water but doesn’t appear to feel greasy at all.

I would doubt its anything more than condensation then... it only feels greasy sue to it dripping down the engine so it may just not get greasy. :)

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Well, if it's not coolant and it's not oil... it's nothing the car needs. To make you feel better... here's a picture of @jimbobcooks car @trax. Be sure to look closely near both wheels.

qUgPXNd.jpg

Reactions: ray

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Oh and if it was p!ssing down of rain on the way... it could just be rain water dripping off the subframe or from the sills. I get this for hours after a storm.

Reactions: Bedlam

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Mine was more central and at the back of the engine though.

Yeah, that's where mine drips off too..even I panic sometimes because when I pull into my driveway, it leaves a puddle as I go up the lowered kerb, then a trail that follows the center of the car. I get some looks as I'm in the kerb sniffing my fingers.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
My AC condensing liquid can be extortionate and last for a while when warm. Enough so I’ll get someone mention it at work, and at least twice now I’ve been on my knees dipping fingers in wet patches...

:clown:

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Yeah, that's where mine drips off too..even I panic sometimes because when I pull into my driveway, it leaves a puddle as I go up the lowered kerb, then a trail that follows the center of the car. I get some looks as I'm in the kerb sniffing my fingers.

That was me to a tee!! Got a few strange looks from others in the car park.

I panicked big time but totally forgot about AC.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members