Maxxis Vs5 looking a good tyre

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I came to know about these tyres after my dad needed some after his old pirellis would have failed an Mot so my dad just told him to get some tyres on there as long as they weren't budgets. The mechanic we know said they came highly recommended. My immediate reaction was REALLY! As far as I was concerned I've never known Maxxis to be more than a mediocre brand but I have finally found a couple of tests for this tyre and they give it some good results.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw3AE4sWh_2UVLQh9I87GaxJ

https://www.whichcar.com.au/events/tyre-test/motor-tyre-test-2019-australia-best-performance-tyre

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Evo mag this month just did a test with the winner been Pirelli however, they did say they also tested the Maxxis Victra Sport 5 of which was not included within the results due to not been able to purchase it as easy as the others but had it been included it would have been the winner..

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Maxxis are not a crap brand. They are one of the largest tyre manufacturers in the world and are very big in many countries that are not Britain.

Our Leon has four Maxxis Premitra 5 tyres on it and I would buy them again. Compared to test winners from top brands they stack up pretty well. I'm very fussy about tyres and I'm very happy with them

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
Depends which car it's on.
On a normal Leon yeah they are probably great.
On a Cupra? Probably not so much

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
In same bracket as Falken / kumho / uniroyal etc

I've never had a Uniroyal of Kumho tyre but I've driven cars on Falken tyres extensively. Not my own but at work etc. I think Falken tyres are pretty bad, from my experience. I wouldn't buy them. The Maxxis tyres are far better.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I've never had a Uniroyal of Kumho tyre but I've driven cars on Falken tyres extensively. Not my own but at work etc. I think Falken tyres are pretty bad, from my experience. I wouldn't buy them. The Maxxis tyres are far better.
The maxxis may be better but its a mid range tyre as are the tyre brands i quoted.

Some more midrange tyres would be Toyo and Hankook

You have your premium brands

Continental / pirelli / goodyear / dunlop etc

Then the midrange is the gang i mentioned

Then your cheap is your chinese muck triangle tyres linglong absolute junk like that

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I had Bridgestone Turranza ER300s on my Leon 2.0TDI and they weren't very good...

I had a Mazda that came with Bridgestone Turranza. I thought they were ok but the car tramlined like mad and squirmed under heavy braking. I assumed it was the car but when I got rid of the Bridgstones both problems went away.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I have Bridgestone t001 on my Leon. They are the tyres that came with the car I assume. They are OK. I won't be putting more on. I would be much more likely to put these VS5's on.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
I read that Hankook is now or soon to be classed as a 'premium' tyre.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Hankook-are-a-Premium-Tyre-Manufacturer---Heres-why.htm

Saying that, I had Bridgestone Turranza ER300s on my Leon 2.0TDI and they weren't very good...

*Wait, so from the document, the Maxis tyre is on par with Pilot Sport 4?

I to have seen that Hankook are to become premium. Their pricing with the likes of blackcircles would reflect this. At the moment their s1 evo 2 is more expensive than the Goodyear as5. Saying that the falken 510 is as well. In 225/45/17

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I've tried a few brands on cars and bikes, but keep coming back to Michelin. They just seem to do more things well.
My latest Mich Road 5's on the bike are more like magic than technology.

webb204

May 19, 2015
I had the Maxxis HP5 on my old 150 fr and to be honest having had Michelin PS4 on before swapping I wasn't expecting much for the price I paid (£88 a pair ,I get them trade price), however I was pleasantly surprised at how good they really were, and cannot remember having any dodgy moments with them and I do have a heavy right foot !!
The VS5 are the HP5 replacement our supplier told us .

Reactions: LouG

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
We've just been up North, by North I mean to John O Groats, so lots of fast twisty roads, some wet ones. I have total trust in these Maxxis Premitra 5 tyres. Behave as well as any other tyre I've used. It's a shame they are not very well distributed.

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
We've just been up North, by North I mean to John O Groats, so lots of fast twisty roads, some wet ones. I have total trust in these Maxxis Premitra 5 tyres. Behave as well as any other tyre I've used. It's a shame they are not very well distributed.
Although the thread was about the victra sport 5, lol. It does seem that the premitra 5 is well regarded by those that have driven with it. Although it's only done reasonably well in tyre test in 2019. It must be a very predictable tyre with good feel even if ultimate grip isn't as high as others. I recently put one on the rear of the Mrs car as it is a reasonable tyre and cost so much less than any other tyre in her size 215/45/16, as she had an unrepairable puncture. An expensive size I might add. But impossible to judge as just one tyre on the back.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
But impossible to judge as just one tyre on the back.

I never put one tyre on a car, I change them in pairs.

I've always preferred tyres that give lots of warning over those that grip more, but snap loose.

Absolutely. I've had a few tyres that let go suddenly but they don't stay on the car for very long. One of my bugbears is that the noise rating on tyre stickers has prompted all of the tyre manufacturers to use softer sidewalls. There was a time when you could choose a stiffer tyre that gave better road feel but tyres like that don't seem to exist any more.

Reactions: G.P and LouG

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Absolutely. I've had a few tyres that let go suddenly but they don't stay on the car for very long. One of my bugbears is that the noise rating on tyre stickers has prompted all of the tyre manufacturers to use softer sidewalls. There was a time when you could choose a stiffer tyre that gave better road feel but tyres like that don't seem to exist any more.

Sidewalls have as you say been made softer to lower noise, of which started with the modern trend towards larger diameter wheels with lower profile tyres that apparently look better and more sporty have not helped, its just a shame in reality a softer wall is far from sporty with many other issues on different types of vehicles.

UK tyre walls are also softer than other country's which also makes me wonder if thats because of the condition of our roads..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members