Cupra 300 - Suitable Oil

The_Hoff

Sep 4, 2017
Check oil level light came on this morning, don't have the handbook with me and Google isn't helping other than 5-30w being suitable.

Can anybody tell me if this would be suitable for topping it up?

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/castrol-magnatec-5w30-c3-oil-4-litre

The weight is obviously fine, but wasn't sure about the listed VAG spec.

Car is going back in Oct/Nov when new Cupra arrives and prior to that I'll have to service it probably, so after a cheap top up.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
5W 30 is what i topped up with, Castrol Edge.

https://applications.castrol.com/oi...modelType=león-2-0-tsi-cupra-(221-kw)-(2016-)

On the Castrol website, it stated a 'new' recommended version started with a 0W something.

just make sure it meets the VW performance 507/504 i think. If in doubt, call SEAT.

If your oil light came on, i would be more inclined to have an oil change, as i would guess you'd be pouring in over a litre of new oil to heavily contaminated oil? Naughty for letting it get so low! ;)

The_Hoff

Sep 4, 2017
5W 30 is what i topped up with, Castrol Edge.

https://applications.castrol.com/oilselector/en_gb/c/recommendation?vehicleType=cars&manufacturer=seat&model=león-5f-(2012-)&modelType=león-2-0-tsi-cupra-(221-kw)-(2016-)

On the Castrol website, it stated a 'new' recommended version started with a 0W something.

just make sure it meets the VW performance 507/504 i think. If in doubt, call SEAT.

If your oil light came on, i would be more inclined to have an oil change, as i would guess you'd be pouring in over a litre of new oil to heavily contaminated oil? Naughty for letting it get so low! ;)

Indeed, if I wasn't chopping the car in, I'd be having it in for an oil change, but... as I'll probably need to service it in October I'll be getting it there I guess anyway. #leaselife

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
My garage used 5W-40. Not sure what the difference is.

It's the oils viscosity, explained by an oil manufacturer as;

"In a 5W-30 for example, the number before the W describes the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the better the oil’s cold temperature/ cold start performance. The number after the W describes how thick the oil is at the engine’s normal operating temperature."

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
It's the oils viscosity, explained by an oil manufacturer as;

"In a 5W-30 for example, the number before the W describes the viscosity of the oil at low temperatures. The lower the number, the thinner the oil and the better the oil’s cold temperature/ cold start performance. The number after the W describes how thick the oil is at the engine’s normal operating temperature."
Learn something everyday thanks! So From that; 30 as appose to 40 is slightly better at lubricating as it’s thinner and better on cold start?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
So even after these latest cars, well the 290 versions anyway, being fitted with GPF, has there not been a change in which engine oil, or engine oil spec to use?

My daughter collected her Cupra 290 last week, and it has 504 507 written on a yellow label on the trim panel above the lock carrier, which I'm guessing means 5W-30 Mobil One ESP is okay to use. Anyone know what the factory fill oil "weight" was for an April 2019 build DNUC Cupra 2.0TSI engine?

Edit:- oh and, generally speaking, do these engines "use" a bit of oil during the early miles even if they have been treated "with respect"?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Learn something everyday thanks! So From that; 30 as appose to 40 is slightly better at lubricating as it’s thinner and better on cold start?
Yes. But there's more to it than that. Engine protection is a function of good base stock and additive package not just weight as in the old days when people ran 50 weight oil. Some 0 - 20 weights give superb protection but they pour like water.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
So even after these latest cars, well the 290 versions anyway, being fitted with GPF, has there not been a change in which engine oil, or engine oil spec to use?

My daughter collected her Cupra 290 last week, and it has 504 507 written on a yellow label on the trim panel above the lock carrier, which I'm guessing means 5W-30 Mobil One ESP is okay to use. Anyone know what the factory fill oil "weight" was for an April 2019 build DNUC Cupra 2.0TSI engine?

Edit:- oh and, generally speaking, do these engines "use" a bit of oil during the early miles even if they have been treated "with respect"?
From memory Mobil ESP does comply. My Cupra used 200ml in the first 5000km, and 100ml in the next 3000. Just make sure to check the oil hot and 5 mins after stopping. It does read differently to stone cold.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks for that, I'm sure that her boy friend will provide an "oil check" service for her. I might as well "issue" her with a top up container!

On the topic of keeping a litre of engine in the car for "just in case" moments, I always kept a litre of engine oil in the boot of my old Passat, then once, on a very hot day, when we stopped for a coffee etc at a motorway service station, I opened the boot to be welcomed by the smell of warm oil, warm clean engine oil - the top had unscrewed from the top up bottle and a small amount of oil had soaked into the boot including the carpet, not really a huge worry as I recognised that smell immediately, but a bit annoying! So now my top up bottles are enclosed by 2 tied poly bags and live inside one of the VW Group litre container bags with plenty paper towels to avoid any thing escaping into the boot!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Oh I'm sure that he will, at least this car came with a dip stick, I had to buy one for my Audi S4, they get sent out with a plug where the dip stick used to be, and the plan for checking oil level was, jump in and drive off, after the oil is up to temperature the current oil level data will be available in the car menu on the infotainment system, stop car, wait maybe 10 minutes check oil level - etc etc - what a load of nonsense.

Now here is the funny thing, as I only use that car when driving longer distances, it sleeps in the garage with the bonnet open connected to a CTEK battery maintenance unit, so if I am going to use it, I check the oil before closing the bonnet. That seems to provoke the car to, now and again, display the current oil level without me requesting it, probably as I have not requested that info for a long time, maybe quite clever for people that don't lift the bonnet.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Does Castrol suggest/confirm that that version is good for VW oil spec 504 - normally if it is they do display that fact?

Edit:- well ECP's accompanying blurb says it conforms to 504,so maybe okay, maybe check Castrol website first to make sure.

• Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL is suitable for use in automobile, gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA C3 specification 5W-30 lubricant.">
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL is suitable for use in automobile, gasoline and diesel engines where the manufacturer recommends an ACEA C3 specification 5W-30 lubricant.
  • Castrol EDGE 5W-30 LL is approved for use in vehicles that require a lubricant meeting
  • VW 504 00 / 507 00,
  • Porsche C30
  • MB-Approval 229.31/229.51 5W-30
Is off the advert, and using the Castrol website, it points towards the same specification. It is also the same as the 1ltr bottle I got given prior :yes:

https://applications.castrol.com/oi...modelType=león-2-0-tsi-cupra-(221-kw)-(2016-)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise