Rattling and squeaking noises

Aug 13, 2019
Hello,
I have the mk6 Ibiza FR model with the leather dashboard package and the build quality of the plastics is honestly horrible. There are rattling noises with basically any road bump, not to mention touching the door handles of any door and pushing the door outwards feels like the plastics are gonna crack... Is there any solution for this?

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
I had these issues with my mk6 Ibiza FR, one of the few reasons I got rid of it TBH. I know they all don't suffer with it, I guess I was unlucky.

As you mentioned the top of the dashboard and air vents would creak and rattle, the interior handles contantly creaked and made a cracking sound when you touched them. Unfortunately there is not much you can do, unless someone found a solution?

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
I have the FR before they put the fake leather strip along the dash. Having a fiesta before which had soft touch dashoard material the Ibiza's dash is noticably harder. However I definately think its much better put together. In mine nothing creaks or rattles, everything seems very sturdy. On the fiesta there was loads of creaks and rattles which drove me round the bend. The Ibiza is so much better I think. However lets be honest it s a cheap car, and on that basis I think I have won a watch.

Reactions: camelspyyder

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Not Seat related, but my dad had a Mini One (in Singapore, so constant 26-35 degrees heat) and from year 1 to year 10 before it was scrapped (In Singapore all cars aged 10 are scrapped), nothing rattles or creaks, even when it's doing close to 115mph, it was still good. Only thing was road noise was quite high..but nothing creaks or rattles. Saying that, my MK5 Ibiza facelift, nothing rattled or creaked, unless going over cobbled road, then the entire car rattles, me included...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Even unimpeachable build quality couldn't make me buy a Mini.
Got fobbed off with a current Mini Seven by a rental firm (instead of the 1-series ordered) and several hundred miles later only the comfortable seat had made any positive impression. No space, shockingly unergonomic design, no power, no equipment (I mean when did I last have a rental without cruise? 1982 maybe?). Give me a rattly Seat any day.

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
The noise I had and resolved to 90% were the interior door knobs that creaked whenever I moved them.I open and put some kind of tape cut very small to be in the middle of the knob that stays in the car and the other that comes out. I will put some photos as soon as possible.

Last edited:

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
The tape and what I did.
IMG_20190902_202343_434.jpg
IMG_20190902_202408_477.jpg
IMG_20190902_201852_027.jpg
IMG_20190902_201901_024.jpg
IMG_20190902_201958_974.jpg

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Even unimpeachable build quality couldn't make me buy a Mini.
Got fobbed off with a current Mini Seven by a rental firm (instead of the 1-series ordered) and several hundred miles later only the comfortable seat had made any positive impression. No space, shockingly unergonomic design, no power, no equipment (I mean when did I last have a rental without cruise? 1982 maybe?). Give me a rattly Seat any day.

That's right with the lack of space, even with the seats down, and 3 (parents + me) of us with a small/medium ish suitcase each, it was usually suitcase, or me in the car, usually it's the suitcase, as I can still take public transport and make my way home, but the suitcases cannot!

José Silva

Nov 24, 2018
Portugal
Hello,
I have the mk6 Ibiza FR model with the leather dashboard package and the build quality of the plastics is honestly horrible. There are rattling noises with basically any road bump, not to mention touching the door handles of any door and pushing the door outwards feels like the plastics are gonna crack... Is there any solution for this?

I bought recently a VW Polo and the interior quality its far better then the Ibiza but the price its higher and it came with half the equipment of the ibiza.

Oct 11, 2019
Seat Leon FR 67 I’ve got a rattle somewhere behind steering wheel, happens when I get to low speed or poor road surface anyone know what it could be, I don’t think it’s serious but driving me mad

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Seat Leon FR 67 I’ve got a rattle somewhere behind steering wheel, happens when I get to low speed or poor road surface anyone know what it could be, I don’t think it’s serious but driving me mad

Turn the radio up. This tip has worked in my many Citroens, Renaults, FIATS, Proton and SEATS over the years.

Or buy a more expensive brand (you can see that I don't :D)

Reactions: mdaw1985
Oct 11, 2019
Anyone know how to actually fix this or should I just take it to a dealer ?

mdaw1985

Aug 3, 2008
St.Leonards, East Sussex
Turn the radio up. This tip has worked in my many Citroens, Renaults, FIATS, Proton and SEATS over the years.

Or buy a more expensive brand (you can see that I don't :D)

Couldn't agree more.lol
Rattles and creaking. Drives me mad trying to work out how to stop them. I've had a MK2, MK3 and MK4 and only the MK3 didn't creak. The MK3 had the best quality interior of any Ibiza. Saying that my Mrs has a MK5 and I don't hear much from that. Personally I don't like how plasticy it is and the MK6 that I've been in is hard plastic all round. That's another reason I went for the Leon and if the Mrs changes cars I would want her to get a Leon or if she wants a supermini get a polo or A1. Saying that the new fiesta looks like a nice interior but not as good looking exterior.

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
Anyone know how to actually fix this or should I just take it to a dealer ?
Are you sure this noise is coming from the steering wheel area? I had a very same annoying rattle in my Ibiza. It turned out to be the plastic housing mounting on the rear view mirror. Why not check out the Ibiza build quality thread. I have gone into a lot of detail in that post about this very issue. Also a possible very simple free fix, if you are as lucky as I was. : )

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.