what did you and your mk3 leon do today

S4BiT

Dec 8, 2018
Haldex service on 23.800km
Pictures will tell the story, suggest to do it even earlier.

Attachments

• DFE642BD-702D-401C-B5FF-A46455548E5B.jpeg
    DFE642BD-702D-401C-B5FF-A46455548E5B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 237
  • 9DFF26D8-9984-4E3C-8CD9-1F2E0AB952D6.jpeg
    9DFF26D8-9984-4E3C-8CD9-1F2E0AB952D6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 237

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Its been a while since i checked but I think the Haldex is every 3 years.
It is 3 years on the Golf R.

Cleaning the filter doesn’t form part of the Haldex service schedule on the Golf R, although many owners over on VWROC.com ask for the filter to be cleaned. The pictures of the Haldex filter posted above by @S4BiT shows how gunged up the filter gets, so it seems stupid to change the oil but not clean the filter!

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
It is 3 years on the Golf R.

Cleaning the filter doesn’t form part of the Haldex service schedule on the Golf R, although many owners over on VWROC.com ask for the filter to be cleaned. The pictures of the Haldex filter posted above by @S4BiT shows how gunged up the filter gets, so it seems stupid to change the oil but not clean the filter!

Is the Haldex VAQ on the 2WD the same as the 4 Drive version?

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Is the Haldex VAQ on the 2WD the same as the 4 Drive version?

The FWD cars such as Cupra Hatch and GTI Performance use a Limited slip differential (LSD), where the Haldex is more complex and uses clutch plates etc i believe the LSD is basically a torque vectoring device..

I'm happy to be educated by a more mechanically orientated person though!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Only APR and ECS make these ...I read the APR one rattles, so I went with importing the ECS from USA.

Only at idle. But it's bad! I've got under about 4 times to recheck the nuts are torqued (which they were).
CEzz268.jpg

Reactions: Jaco2k

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
The FWD cars such as Cupra Hatch and GTI Performance use a Limited slip differential (LSD), where the Haldex is more complex and uses clutch plates etc i believe the LSD is basically a torque vectoring device..

I'm happy to be educated by a more mechanically orientated person though!

There's definitely a Haldex on the fwd cars. I just wondered how it differed. I found some decent material on them after my curiosity got the better of me. The latest gen 5 Haldex which I believe is what the Cupra ST has and what the VAQ (Fwd variant) is based on don't use filters. Instead they use a fixed mesh. It's recommended that both types are serviced every 20k miles so you don't have what has happened in the pics above where the gunk build up on the mesh.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Survived Paris! On our way home back through France I decided to surprise my wife with an impromptu visit to Paris City Centre and a trip up the Eiffel Tower.

What was I thinking driving my own car into Paris and then even worse leaving at rush hour.

The only way I’ll ever drive in Paris again is either:

A ) A hire car with all the insurances taken out.
B ) A smashed up heap of a car that looks like it starred in Mad Max.
C ) In an APV or Tank.

Last edited:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Survived a Paris! On our way home back through France I decided to surprise my wife with an impromptu visit to Paris City Centre and a trip up the Eiffel Tower.

What was I thinking driving my own car into Paris and then even worse leaving at rush hour.

The only way I’ll ever drive in Paris again is either:

A ) A hire car with all the insurances taken out.
B ) A smashed up heap of a car that looks like it starred in Mad Max.
C ) In an APV or Tank.

Best time had in Paris was going round and round the Arc de Triumph in a Purple Bus playing dodge with all the cars and with the driver blowing his horn continuously.

You are a Brave Man driving in Paris and must have gained masses of Brownie (Intercooler/Carbon Spoiler) Points doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedlam and Damo H

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Best time had in Paris was going round and round the Champs Ellysee in a Purple Bus playing dodge with all the cars and with the driver blowing his horn continuously.

You are a Brave Man driving in Paris and must have gained masses of Brownie (Intercooler/Carbon Spoiler) Points doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The worse bit was the sat nav wanted to take me there (around the arc de triumph). It’s my favourite part of Paris (went a few times before meeting the wife) but there was no way I was going there so followed an alternative route, but then it would say there were traffic restrictions and re route me a different way but back there across a different route. I had to go miles away to get it to stop lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedlam and Maypack

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
I enjoyed driving in Paris (hire cars) and around the Arc de Triomphe. My wife said if she drove into the traffic that location she'd eventually run of of fuel just going round...and round..and round, too scared to cross over for an exit :drive2:

Greenman

Sep 6, 2017
Got some tints put on over the weekend - really pleased with the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20190902_115522.jpg
    IMG_20190902_115522.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
Reactions: Sword
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members