MPI - No thanks!

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Just driven 30 miles in a brand new SEAT Ibiza FR which looks great in black, and the interior is mostly nice and it handles and rides well, although the steering needs to be less sensitive.

I didn't know it was only an MPI when I got in, and even though I'm only used to a 1.0 TSI, I nearly killed myself at the first single carriageway overtake.

An FR with 79 bhp. It's so slow it's actually dangerous out of town. Don't buy this engine!

Oh I forgot to mention:

During the journey the Front Assist failed.

Then the central locking

And the Stop start

And the airbags

And the AC

And the seltbelt sensors

And the gear indicator

And no doubt other stuff that I didn't notice

All very distracting on country roads, and I didn't dare stop for petrol in case it would't restart.

This is a 50 mile old car!

Last edited:

Deleted member 103408

That is terrible, was this a dealer demo car.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Wonder if that was a 'reject' / mistake car, I didn't know FRs came in anything less than TSI 95, or maybe one of those body kit things bolted on a non-FR...even on the configurator today even on SE's it's min TSI 95. Did the dealer 'assuming it was from there' as usual knew nothing and insisted it was a TSI?

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
MPI 115 here and it drives really good.

Wow Seat has managed to squeze 115 off a naturally aspirated engine, that's Honda S2000 territory, with 240PS no turbo...Just kidding...I'm guessing you mean TSI 115....that one is just about enough power to overtake...safely..

Aug 13, 2019
Wow Seat has managed to squeze 115 off a naturally aspirated engine, that's Honda S2000 territory, with 240PS no turbo...Just kidding...I'm guessing you mean TSI 115....that one is just about enough power to overtake...safely..
Nope, the ibiza FR comes in MPI 115 only where I live.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Wonder if that was a 'reject' / mistake car, I didn't know FRs came in anything less than TSI 95, or maybe one of those body kit things bolted on a non-FR...even on the configurator today even on SE's it's min TSI 95. Did the dealer 'assuming it was from there' as usual knew nothing and insisted it was a TSI?
On Autotrader there are 79bhp versions of SE and FR for sale across the UK, but not on the configurator (probably been withdrawn because it's ****!)

It's defo a euro 1.0 not a world market 1.6

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
On the plus side it has a plate that reads FR19***

I remember reading that a MPI FR was being released and making negative comments on here about it.

Now I have driven it, this is indeed the ultimate cheapening of the Formula Racing brand.

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Just driven 30 miles in a brand new SEAT Ibiza FR which looks great in black, and the interior is mostly nice and it handles and rides well, although the steering needs to be less sensitive.

I didn't know it was only an MPI when I got in, and even though I'm only used to a 1.0 TSI, I nearly killed myself at the first single carriageway overtake.

An FR with 79 bhp. It's so slow it's actually dangerous out of town. Don't buy this engine!

Oh I forgot to mention:

During the journey the Front Assist failed.

Then the central locking

And the Stop start

And the airbags

And the AC

And the seltbelt sensors

And the gear indicator

And no doubt other stuff that I didn't notice

All very distracting on country roads, and I didn't dare stop for petrol in case it would't restart.

This is a 50 mile old car!
With all those issues, maybe it's already had a 'bump' and not been repaired too well?

I any case, it's certainly not worthy of an 'FR' badge. Perhaps SEAT are just jumping-on
the BMW and Mercedes bandwagon of increasingly degrading their respective M-Sport
and AMG monikers...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
It was only registered days ago, but certainly has a terrible electronic issue.

Regardless of the degraded FR badge, I wouldn't have this engine in a pauper spec SE either.

bluebarchetta

Sep 11, 2018
I’ve a 80PS version as a second car, I often take it instead of my 190PS Audi. I find it quite good fun if you respect it’s limits.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I’ve a 80PS version as a second car, I often take it instead of my 190PS Audi. I find it quite good fun if you respect it’s limits.
I think it depends where you live. East of Lincoln is 2000+ square miles devoid of dual carriageway with hills too, and this car cannot cope. It would be better in town, or anywhere civilised with 4 lane roads.

Deleted member 103408

I get your point but I would say that (as i live east of Lincoln) we have saved up now and do have some duel carriageways and outside of the wolds no hills :) but there are a lot of sloping / pot holed lanes.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I get your point but I would say that (as i live east of Lincoln) we have saved up now and do have some duel carriageways and outside of the wolds no hills :) but there are a lot of sloping / pot holed lanes.
The A180? and... Oh the Humber bridge link...and ...struggling now neighbour.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.