Rattle over bumpy road - loads of bits already replaced, no joy

Coolspot007007

Mar 3, 2018
I've got a rattle on the drivers side when going over bumps/uneven road surfaces. So far the following have been replaced by me:

shocks
top mounts
ARB drop links
wishbone bushes front and rear (anti lift)
ball joints
inner tie rods and track rod ends
engine mount

I can also see poly bushes are fitted to the ARB and it's got an insert in the lower mount (big washer on the bottom).

I'm a bit lost for anything else that would make such a bad rattle other than a wheel bearing, but there's no play in it and doesn't drone or anything. The noise sounds fairly high up and since I've put the new engine mount in it did seem to quieten down a little bit. I can't feel anything through the steering wheel either.

It's also recently developed creaking but I have a dead set subframe kit and new bolts to go on to hopefully sort that. I couldn't see any obvious movement on the subframe bolts.

Any ideas?

Coolspot007007

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah, you hear it from the front first. The road I use on the way home from work is currently being resurfaced so has areas of the original cobbled street exposed, definitely starts at the front and sounds terrible. It could be the ARB bushes but they're poly and look to be in good condition. Given the work the car had when I bought it I'd expect them to be less than 5 years old. All the ball joints, drop links etc. were either OEM equivalent or VAG parts as well, not cheap ones.

ash_89

Mar 16, 2013
Bedfordshire
Yeah, you hear it from the front first. The road I use on the way home from work is currently being resurfaced so has areas of the original cobbled street exposed, definitely starts at the front and sounds terrible. It could be the ARB bushes but they're poly and look to be in good condition. Given the work the car had when I bought it I'd expect them to be less than 5 years old. All the ball joints, drop links etc. were either OEM equivalent or VAG parts as well, not cheap ones.

Check all of your brake disc backing plates as well mate . i had a horrible rattle over bumps on my old mk5 gti
it turned out one of them was rusted so badly around the bolt there wasn't anything holding it in place

Sam_FR

Dec 15, 2018
I have this problem, I've taken to ignoring it. Its been months with no further issues.

Would be intrigued to find out as to what it was for you.
Exact same issue with mine, drivers side. It's sounds as if the damper/spring assembly bolts are not tight, allowing the whole thing to knock in the strut tower! Sounds awful from outside the car.