Anyone got their Tarraco yet?

Deleted member 103408

FYI The stop stop as you say is a common issue.

It can be turned off completely using Carista, OBD11 Or VCDS but that means its off. I personally purchased a Stop Start Memory module you can put in the car so when you turn it off it stays off till you turn it back on again. Simple bit of kit but does allow you to control when its used.

Reactions: Tell

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
FYI The stop stop as you say is a common issue.

It can be turned off completely using Carista, OBD11 Or VCDS but that means its off. I personally purchased a Stop Start Memory module you can put in the car so when you turn it off it stays off till you turn it back on again. Simple bit of kit but does allow you to control when its used.
Do you have a link? I disabled it as it is not needed ....ever :) Whats the point? Especially with a diesel regen at least it has a chance even in city traffic to force it.

Deleted member 103408

this is similar to the one I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Start-...078637?hash=item4b0dae5f2d:g:ArAAAOSwzRlaGn7O.

As to why you want stop start, If I am driving through london and sitting in traffic happy with it on, but when I go to the race track there is nothing more annoying than the engine turning off just before you are about to go out. 90% of the time i have it off on the switch, every now and then i turn it back on. If you dont like it at all then coding solves that issue.

Reactions: Tell and Tony Tonic

Tell

Staff member
I've owned the Tarraco for about 3 months/4000km and wanted to summarize my experience with the car. Overall I'm quite happy with it, good family car. However there are some quirks or small annoyances that I'll list here:

* I have Navigation plus option. To be honest it has been quite pointless extra option. The built-in wifi is almost useless. There is an app (SEAT Media Control) where one can change radio station or volume on the car via wifi. I personally don't like the idea of kids changing volume or changing songs from back seat. Other use of wifi is to give internet access through the phone's 4g connection. There is SIM card slot. Most phones already have wifi hotspot option which is easier to setup and achieves the same result. The SSD for storing music is nice but the car already has 2 SD card slots + 2 USB for keeping music. And SD/USB memory card contents are easier to maintain. I would not miss the SSD at all. The infotainment has been rock solid though, no crashes or restarts what so ever. I have heard this may not be the case for non-plus option.

* I have optional DCC (adaptive suspension). To be honest the difference between suspension settings is barely noticeable. It first I even thought it is not working. I use it comfort setting most of the time but it is not much different from normal or even sport. Generally the suspension is not too harsh, even with 20" wheels.

* I use Waze (commuting) or Google Maps (going to unfamiliar destination) with Android Auto for navigation. But I have tested the factory navigation system a little and it has been disappointing. You cannot find many destinations with entering the name (for example name of hotel), you need to have an address. But even that is quite limited: for example it did not have my home or my work address even though these are not some new development or in some obscure area. The map itself is quite detailed with even most buildings on it, including those but no address for some reason. Google Maps and Waze are leaps and bounds better at finding destination. Routing is also sometimes strange - it gives you three route options but once I tried they were exactly the same. But it still asked to select one of them. At least once it asked to do a shortcut to save 200m through a very narrow dirt road which I know Waze does use. So yea not happy with it but I don't use it anyway so no problem for me. Also note that I am in Estonia, I realize most users here are from UK and it may have a better map info.

* As I said I use Android Auto for navigation. There are downsides of this - first of course is that you cannot show Google Maps/Waze map on instrument display. You cannot even show cars own map when navigation with phone (although strangely it sometimes works when using Waze but never with Google Maps). It cannot even display any navigation directions, it just says "navigation active on phone". I know this last one can be technically done, it works in Honda CRV for example. When using Google Maps then the right infotainment knob can be used for zooming but it does not work in Waze. One weird quirk is that when navigation is active on phone you cannot display compass on the instrument panel. I have no idea how is compass related to satellite navigation. Overall though for me Android Auto works great. You can listen to car radio while using Google Maps or car's own navigation while using music from Android Auto or any other combination.

* The car is really great for driving on highways. It feels very stable, like on rails. I have adaptive lane assist on which basically steers the car itself. The problem I sometimes have is that it gives me warning to keep my hands on the wheel even though I have both hands on the wheel already. It detects my hands with smallest wheel movement but if I am cruising on a long straight the car is so stable that I don't even need to give steering input so it gives me this annoying warning. To clear it I have to move the steering wheel a little. It does not happen in winding roads, only with long wide straight roads. This issue is not unique to Tarraco but I feel this is a limitation of the system. I hear some new cars have capacitive sensing of hands on wheels which would work better.

* It is my first car with start-stop system. I like it that car shuts down the engine when waiting for green light in the city. However it is often annoyingly shutting down just when the traffic starts moving. The user manual states that it can be controlled with how much pressure you apply to brakes to avoid start-stop shutting the engine. In my experience it doesn't always work though. Sometimes I barely press the brake to slow down but once it almost stopped it still shuts the engine. Start-stop can be disabled but it will be re-enabled every time you start to drive. Again this is not unique to Tarraco but I feel the controlling of start stop with brake pedal should be better, maybe even be configurable.

* Clips for holding 3rd row seat-belt that are designed to keep seat-belts tucked away to the side of the car when the 3rd row is not used. However they are not very good and half the time I pull the trunk cover it catches one of the seat-belts which is very annoying. They are exactly the same as in Tiguan Allspace, I don't know why could they not improve these.

Other than that everything works well. It seems like many issues but these are all minor (for me). I use adaptive cruise quite often and it has worked flawlessly. Car interior looks and feels great, it looks more expensive than it is. I have used the third row of seats several times (mostly for kids). There is not much room there but its great option to have when you need an extra seat or two. One thing I have never used is park assist. With topview, cameras and sensors parking this thing is easy, never felt the need for it. Fuel consumption (2.0 TSI) is about 7l/100km on highway and 9-10 l/100km in city.

Now waiting for winter to test 4 wheel drive and see how good are the lights. Ordered winter tires with 18" wheels, interesting to see how that affects comfort and noise compared to factory 20" wheels. Attached are a couple of photos from day of delivery.

I have the Ateca myself with all the gubbins which were available at launch. The Plus navigation is actually faster than the standard one. You do get the 3D building which I thing you have noticed. Plus uses Here Maps, standard Tom Tom cartography. So completely different underlying map sources.

The issue is street numbering where Here Maps doesn't always have street numbers added in some towns. You can do that yourself via Mapcreator and if you can update the maps yourself with Mapcare which isn't available in the UK, get them a year later. Ditto the roads. Tom Tom has a similar arrangement where you point out missing stuff. Google Maps also has quite a bit missing as well off their maps. At the minute I correct Here Maps and TomTom but Google Maps if their images are old you dont stand a chance of getting the correction thru - they all have correction methods. Here Maps use very recent sat images in the UK at least so you can put missing stuff on and Tom Tom you mark the location up, give them web link to the development and in all cases pictures!. Google have old dat images.

On positive side the Plus allows you to add speed cameras, see the Ateca link. I believe the current standard unit in the Tarraco has the firmware bug, see the link

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

I give the problem firmware code on that.

The Tarraco standard unit I believe does have the Wi-Fi on it so the Seat Media app will work also it. Saying that I also didn't find the app that useful. You do get Alexa but apart from fighting what I was saying.

The Plus unit gives you two SD slots so double the music can be stored unlike the standard. Has it's uses.

The Plus allows you to modify a route by stretching the path and dropping on the screen, the standard doesn't.

Not a great believer in not using the built in navigation for the reasons of what you say doesn't work. Rural communities no 4g, it's a waste of time using online mapping.

The standard maps if you haven't got Mapcare you can update via the workaround, the Plus (high) you either pay your money each time or get the unit converted to a retrofit.

Lane assist, got it don't use it. But having it means you have traffic sign recognition or if not enabled get it enabled via VCDS mod. That I find very useful. Don't use ACC, keep that off. Blind spot is useful.

DCC wasn't fitted to early Atecas.

I don't think you are posting from the UK since the Plus isn't available of Tarracos. Seat UK trimmed a lot back from what is available in the UK to keep the price down with the pound Brexit slip. Exchange rate shift also means having the deluxe stuff popped new car tax limit. For all those reasons decided I'd stick with my Ateca than get a more roomy car but with less spec on it. Like my gadgets.

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
NO Wifi (WLAN) and Seat Media COntrol on UK Tarracos
Trying to establish with CS whether this is an omission on early models to and a software update is needed or not. Or if that is only possible on Plus which is not available in UK

Tell

Staff member
NO Wifi (WLAN) and Seat Media COntrol on UK Tarracos
Trying to establish with CS whether this is an omission on early models and a software update is needed or not.

That's good since you can install speed cameras. The Leon people with my 19 on the standard unit have the issue of the new unit but less functionality.

I expect it was cloth cutting Tony.

raimsb6

Sep 19, 2018
I have the Ateca myself with all the gubbins which were available at launch. The Plus navigation is actually faster than the standard one. You do get the 3D building which I thing you have noticed. Plus uses Here Maps, standard Tom Tom cartography. So completely different underlying map sources.

The issue is street numbering where Here Maps doesn't always have street numbers added in some towns. You can do that yourself via Mapcreator and if you can update the maps yourself with Mapcare which isn't available in the UK, get them a year later. Ditto the roads. Tom Tom has a similar arrangement where you point out missing stuff. Google Maps also has quite a bit missing as well off their maps. At the minute I correct Here Maps and TomTom but Google Maps if their images are old you dont stand a chance of getting the correction thru - they all have correction methods. Here Maps use very recent sat images in the UK at least so you can put missing stuff on and Tom Tom you mark the location up, give them web link to the development and in all cases pictures!. Google have old dat images.

On positive side the Plus allows you to add speed cameras, see the Ateca link. I believe the current standard unit in the Tarraco has the firmware bug, see the link

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....f-woe-vw-pulled-the-update-site-again.444799/

I give the problem firmware code on that.

The Tarraco standard unit I believe does have the Wi-Fi on it so the Seat Media app will work also it. Saying that I also didn't find the app that useful. You do get Alexa but apart from fighting what I was saying.

The Plus unit gives you two SD slots so double the music can be stored unlike the standard. Has it's uses.

The Plus allows you to modify a route by stretching the path and dropping on the screen, the standard doesn't.

Not a great believer in not using the built in navigation for the reasons of what you say doesn't work. Rural communities no 4g, it's a waste of time using online mapping.

The standard maps if you haven't got Mapcare you can update via the workaround, the Plus (high) you either pay your money each time or get the unit converted to a retrofit.

Lane assist, got it don't use it. But having it means you have traffic sign recognition or if not enabled get it enabled via VCDS mod. That I find very useful. Don't use ACC, keep that off. Blind spot is useful.

DCC wasn't fitted to early Atecas.

I don't think you are posting from the UK since the Plus isn't available of Tarracos. Seat UK trimmed a lot back from what is available in the UK to keep the price down with the pound Brexit slip. Exchange rate shift also means having the deluxe stuff popped new car tax limit. For all those reasons decided I'd stick with my Ateca than get a more roomy car but with less spec on it. Like my gadgets.

Yes as I said I'm not from UK, I just visit English Tarraco forums because there is nothing in Estonian forums about it.

I admit I do not know all the differences between standard and plus, maybe you're right that it has its uses. I don't have Alexa, it does not work in my language anyway. Speech recognition does not work at all after changing infotainment to Estonian. I can't even use English, its just disabled.
I have seen some 3d buildings on cars map but in my opinion they do not add any value and to be honest look out of place.

In Estonia practically the whole country has mobile data coverage, either 4g or fallback to 3g so no isses with using online navigation. In my experience Google Maps/Waze location search is very good, it has even found a farmstead in middle of nowhere by using its name! Waze is community managed so it usually has all the road closures and roadworks up to date. Of course this may be very different in UK.

Traffic sign detection - I knew I forgot something :) For me it is not very reliable. It seems it misses like third of speed limit signs. If I go through a construction area with multiple temporary speed limit signs, it often does not recognize them. Therefore for me it is unreliable - if you look at it and have only 66% confidence that it is actually showing a correct speed limit then what is the point. It must be more reliable than myself as a driver to be useful. Also it does not seem to detect speed limit signs with range, for example speed limit is 70 for the next 500m (quite common in my country). On the other hand speed limit on Waze is correct most of the time.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Yes as I said I'm not from UK, I just visit English Tarraco forums because there is nothing in Estonian forums about it.

I admit I do not know all the differences between standard and plus, maybe you're right that it has its uses. I don't have Alexa, it does not work in my language anyway. Speech recognition does not work at all after changing infotainment to Estonian. I can't even use English, its just disabled.
I have seen some 3d buildings on cars map but in my opinion they do not add any value and to be honest look out of place.

In Estonia practically the whole country has mobile data coverage, either 4g or fallback to 3g so no isses with using online navigation. In my experience Google Maps/Waze location search is very good, it has even found a farmstead in middle of nowhere by using its name! Waze is community managed so it usually has all the road closures and roadworks up to date. Of course this may be very different in UK.

Traffic sign detection - I knew I forgot something :) For me it is not very reliable. It seems it misses like third of speed limit signs. If I go through a construction area with multiple temporary speed limit signs, it often does not recognize them. Therefore for me it is unreliable - if you look at it and have only 66% confidence that it is actually showing a correct speed limit then what is the point. It must be more reliable than myself as a driver to be useful. Also it does not seem to detect speed limit signs with range, for example speed limit is 70 for the next 500m (quite common in my country). On the other hand speed limit on Waze is correct most of the time.

I find traffic sign recognition works 95% of the time in the UK. If speed signs are placed too high it may not see them but generally does most of the time. On the continent I find it's reads speeds off the back of lorries on the Calais / Dunkerque stretch. May be how the signs are presented on lorries over there but fine here.

The advantage being if new speed limits are put in, it will over ride the built in one via reading the new signs. Those without it you still have to watch the speed till the cartography catches up they won't get the warble speed limit warning either since that's only via TSR. It's at road works where it's handy and on variable speed sections where the speed limit is dynamically set.

It's always nice to see the 3D building :). It has its uses at times but depends how much has been digitised. You'll see the old Roman bridge in Trier and the old cranes along the river. Here Maps were looking for 3D experts to digitise more buildings on.

The SSD bit I find handy when I forget to put the SD cards in whilst copying music or taking the cards out if going for service.

The stop start I found particularly dangerous in driving busy south of England roads with a DSG, since on roundabout you got to get away when you see a break. Too fiddly to remember to turn it off and on, since I always forgot, that where the danger comes in.

There is a trick where as you said braking to a stand still with a quick light press of the break puts the parking break on, brings the car to rest and doesn't action stop start. That is an art. If you have driven an automatic for many years and hold on the brake you'll unlikely to perfect that one. Having disabled stop start through Obdeleven full coding option I can see when I do that since it says stop started disabled:). It shows I've done the trick since it flashes up that stop / start is disabled. If you get that quick release of the brake wrong before stopping or their abouts, the parking brake won't come on and it does the automatic creep, not good if you arent intending that.

Having disabled stop start I can amuse myself with how bad it is implemented. If it cuts the engine out say three seconds after coming to rest that would be fine, but the very brief period it allows you to avoid stop start via the pedal action in a DSG is far to short.

The other trick that people do with the DSG if they dont disable stop start or press the button is to wiggle the steering wheel. That restarts the engine but I just think that's so stupid sitting in the car wiggling the steering wheel to correct poor execution of stop start in the car :). Manual drivers don't have these issues with stop start so much since they get off more slowly via the clutch which restarts the engine.

Last edited:

Alien51

Aug 4, 2016
Cool let us know how you find it when you pick it up. Indium grey is great. I’m guessing similar to rodium grey on the Ateca. I just love the camo green as this was their press release colour and that’s the first impression I got.

Thanks,

I've now had my Tarraco a little over two weeks and so far I am very pleased with it. I have the 2.0 TDI Manual also and I can't fault the drive at all, the engine is running superbly, gear changes feel very smooth & a lot less clunky than they were in the Ateca, the power is there when you need it and it all feels very refined albeit slightly noisier than our TSI Ateca was as you would expect being a diesel.

The interior materials are a step up in quality to those in the Ateca and the cabin is considerably more practical. My only complaint is that the car was supplied without the wireless phone charger, despite the brochure stating quite clearly that this is standard in SE Technology and above. The dealership have since informed me this is only on first edition, but again the manual states it is on all models from SE Tech upwards so they are basically lying.

Apart from that all other systems work great, hill hold is fab compared to our Ateca where it didn't seem to kick in at all, but on the tarraco it's like it knows when you need it, it's perfect. Lane assist kicks in every now and again and catches me by surprise, but it never takes over in an intrusive way.

Third row is a godsend, really happy with that, easy to move seats and more leg room in both back and middle than reviewers make out.

my only other niggle is the colour, I'm not sure it compliments the car, I keep looking at it and thinking it's just a bit awkward looking, in certain light, particularly at night it looks very sharp, but most of the time in daytime it just seems to make the car look, long and ungainly.

Unfortunately there's not much I can do about the colour as it was offer on that car or a silver one and I can't stand silver. Gave it a wash the other day and here it is, let me know what you think...

rR7BGGi.jpg

vPy1RpE.jpg

LAH7HeF.jpg
RzGFBno.jpg

iSGFbe5.jpg

AQsaxz4.jpg

Reactions: Tony Tonic

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
Is this an xcellence lux? I have the 150 TDI manual xcellence and I agree with most points you make.

Alien51

Aug 4, 2016
Is this an xcellence lux? I have the 150 TDI manual xcellence and I agree with most points you make.

Yes it is an Xcellence Lux, it is the equivalent spec level to the Ateca we had so it would have been a downgrade to go for anything else and my wife is used to the drone view camera, so that was a must have for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Tonic

Alien51

Aug 4, 2016
Hi all. Had my Tarraco a few weeks now and really pleased with it. Its an Excellence Lux in Atlantic Blue. 2.0 TDI Manual.

Did you go for the 150ps or the 190ps? How are you finding the car & what was your collection experience like? Any added extras or anything missing?

Sep 4, 2019
Did you go for the 150ps or the 190ps? How are you finding the car & what was your collection experience like? Any added extras or anything missing?

Hi its the 150ps which seems fine to me. Its been great so far. Drives just like a big slower leon! Did a family holiday in it and it swallowed all the kit we normally cram into our old Galaxy! Very smooth and relaxed drive.

I've got no added extras but theres loads of kit on it anyway. One thing I thought it would have (but doesnt) is wireless charging. Thought it was standard on Excellence and above.

Alien51

Aug 4, 2016
Hi its the 150ps which seems fine to me. Its been great so far. Drives just like a big slower leon! Did a family holiday in it and it swallowed all the kit we normally cram into our old Galaxy! Very smooth and relaxed drive.

I've got no added extras but theres loads of kit on it anyway. One thing I thought it would have (but doesnt) is wireless charging. Thought it was standard on Excellence and above.

I have the same engine and trim, it has plenty of power, if you floor it in 3rd it literally pins you in your seat!

A lot of reviewers seem to knock the engine as underpowered due to the ultra slow dsg automatic gearbox, but as a manual car it is great.

According to the advertising all models from SE-Tech upwards include the wireless charging, but this is not the case in reality. I have heard of people being compensated, but the dealership I bought the car from came back stating it is only available on First Edition Models despite first saying they did not understand why it wasn't on the car.

Mine was missing the blind spot monitoring feature, I seem to have all the rest of the toys though and I am really loving the car so far.

If I have one complaint it's the lack of multicoloured ambient lighting and the lack of real exhausts, the Ateca we had did have those along with the wireless charging, so it is a little bit dissapointing getting a more expensive car whilst losing some of the features you are used to.

Again overall still happy with the car, but if Seat had sorted those bits out it would take it from a great car to an amazing one.

Tony Tonic

Jan 30, 2019
DSG isn't a slow gear box, it's going to be the engine what it's mated too.
It does take a second or two to downshift when flooring the accelerator though. Can be dangerous, it's a well known fact among the VAG group.

Tell

Staff member
I've driving them for 15 years. The Ateca 190 DSG is fast. That latent pause that you had on older DSGs went. The processors that control the box are much faster these days. My older Altea did dither if you changed your mind when you were going or staying, by those roundabout Charlie's that don't indicate.

Turn off the stop start (have mine permanent set off via VCDS ciding) since that's asking for trouble and when you start off, just go, you are always going to beat anyone with a manual gearbox with the same power and weight since they cant get throu the gears on a manual fast. That was always evident in my early days with a DSG but as more cars got these boxes more people could keep up at the lights.

This video explains the DSG from 7 minutes starts off on the control unit and 9 minutes the fallacy that people have on the delay:

That with increased processing power of the "mechatronic" control unit now installed those delays have been largely removed. You can always use the paddles in any case:).

Btw saw a Seat Ateca Cupra today. Did wonder whether they knew they were locked into the difficulties of the Navigation Plus on that for updates. Should have left them a note on what to do :).

Last edited: