R tech no longer doing 1.8t maps

Damien Wood

Aug 28, 2018
thought I would let the 1.8t lads know of this, it was a bit gutting to here but I heard it from the horses mouth when I called.
Starting my build soon and they were one of reasons I was starting as they are 20mins away.
Looks like I’ll have to travel and go badger5 which I know are great but shame I got to travel now.

Mannyg60

Nov 21, 2016
You could always go and see ecotech up in North Wales. I've just had mine done and I'm very very pleased with the results. I'm sure Niki will recommend him too if Rtech aren't doing 1.8t maps any more

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Damien Wood

Damien Wood

Aug 28, 2018
If there going to be like that then it's no real loss. Plenty of mappers about these days.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
You think like me lol. Shame because that business was built on the 1.8t. I’ll be going to badger once I sorted the car out.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
I think they still do as mine is half mapped by them. But tbh and to be fair to R tech they're probably getting a lot of molested crappy LCRs wanting maps that haven't been looked after or are running crappy eBay parts etc.

These cars and engines are very old now and they're getting tired so mapping them (without rods) is going to be scary.

I recently was up there and my previous map was Revo2 Linear and Revo had locked it so he couldn't get into the car. Car was on ramp but was locked. I think this amongst other things they rightfully giving it up and I actually agree.

The cars were great but time moves on and lots of dodgy maps, dodgy mods and all sorts have killed the scene

Damien Wood

Aug 28, 2018
I think they still do as mine is half mapped by them. But tbh and to be fair to R tech they're probably getting a lot of molested crappy LCRs wanting maps that haven't been looked after or are running crappy eBay parts etc.

These cars and engines are very old now and they're getting tired so mapping them (without rods) is going to be scary.

I recently was up there and my previous map was Revo2 Linear and Revo had locked it so he couldn't get into the car. Car was on ramp but was locked. I think this amongst other things they rightfully giving it up and I actually agree.

The cars were great but time moves on and lots of dodgy maps, dodgy mods and all sorts have killed the scene
I don’t agree mate. It’s like saying we don’t map a supra because a mk5 is now out. It’s a job and you cater for the customer. I spoke to r tech this week. It’s hybrid turbos which are the issue for them so up to stage 2 is ok. Let’s face face it most LCR with decent power are built engines with money invested in them, yeah there is crap out there but you just say no to them. There reason is the hassle and time I would say when a tfsi is easier to remap and take less time so they make more coin. I’m not having ago pal, tuners like badger5 will destroy companies like this, they build and tune. Respect that.

Reactions: kanyewest and DOLBY

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
It's a tricky one as I went for a map around 4 months ago. Made 310 bhp at R Tech on stock K04 but I have a exhaust manifold. Literally due to Revo putting an unexpected map on the car (with unknown passcode? Hmm unsure) but Niki said at that point he thinks mine might be the last 1.8T be does.

Most of the LCRs around now (I'm sorry to say) I feel aren't built at all. No one is investing in them except for the old guard that owned them from new. You can pick up a Leon now for 2k and I honestly don't believe anyone would invest another 2k strengthening it. It's the truth.

I love 1.8T cars and I love mine but people avoid them like the plague. My garage of 10 years even says to me now 'why do you bother throwing money at an old car?...just get a Golf R, less bother' and I'm constantly justifying myself. And that's to an enthusiast garage.

So I used a different garage last week and the guy even took me to one side and said 'we decided after our initial phone call that if yours was a nice one then we would work on it but if it wasn't we wouldn't'. And that took me back tbh. I asked him why and he said 'cos they're all getting old and blowing up now'.

Damien Wood

Aug 28, 2018
It's a tricky one as I went for a map around 4 months ago. Made 310 bhp at R Tech on stock K04 but I have a exhaust manifold. Literally due to Revo putting an unexpected map on the car (with unknown passcode? Hmm unsure) but Niki said at that point he thinks mine might be the last 1.8T be does.

Most of the LCRs around now (I'm sorry to say) I feel aren't built at all. No one is investing in them except for the old guard that owned them from new. You can pick up a Leon now for 2k and I honestly don't believe anyone would invest another 2k strengthening it. It's the truth.

I love 1.8T cars and I love mine but people avoid them like the plague. My garage of 10 years even says to me now 'why do you bother throwing money at an old car?...just get a Golf R, less bother' and I'm constantly justifying myself. And that's to an enthusiast garage.

So I used a different garage last week and the guy even took me to one side and said 'we decided after our initial phone call that if yours was a nice one then we would work on it but if it wasn't we wouldn't'. And that took me back tbh. I asked him why and he said 'cos they're all getting old and blowing up now'.
Fair play mate, I’m building mine next weekend with a aet 380. Maybe going meth to. Where I live the 1.8t is huge. The older cars do it for me. 310, that’s wicked results bro. Keep your car mate, the 1m is a great car. Mine only done 100k with full service, at Stage 2 atm but not for long. :)

Reactions: DOLBY

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Fair play mate, I’m building mine next weekend with a aet 380. Maybe going meth to. Where I live the 1.8t is huge. The older cars do it for me. 310, that’s wicked results bro. Keep your car mate, the 1m is a great car. Mine only done 100k with full service, at Stage 2 atm but not for long. :)
Cool man. Yeh not even gonna kid you the money I spent on the car in last month would make your eyes water. Mostly all maintenance work as they're getting old now and stuff needs changing.

Oh 1.8 scene is big your way? My ends it's dead man. It's a shame. Good luck with the build and meth is great addition to the car.

Yeh man 309bhp to be exact was surprised myself.
Screenshot_20190914-183912.jpg
Screenshot_20190914-183848.jpg

Damien Wood

Aug 28, 2018
Cool man. Yeh not even gonna kid you the money I spent on the car in last month would make your eyes water. Mostly all maintenance work as they're getting old now and stuff needs changing.

Oh 1.8 scene is big your way? My ends it's dead man. It's a shame. Good luck with the build and meth is great addition to the car.

Yeh man 309bhp to be exact was surprised myself. View attachment 9950 View attachment 9951
That’s the reason R tech should look after the 1.8t with results like that. Tell me about the coin spent, I spent roughly 2k on parts this month. Price not to bad when you do the work yourself though but still a killer lol

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex

Yeh man 309bhp to be exact was surprised myself. View attachment 9950 View attachment 9951

I’m surprised the torque didn’t follow the horses into the 300’s.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
That’s the reason R tech should look after the 1.8t with results like that. Tell me about the coin spent, I spent roughly 2k on parts this month. Price not to bad when you do the work yourself though but still a killer lol

Ah man tbh don't like talking money but it's 6k+ approx and that's just in maintenance, cleaning up and a few treats to her. I mean, my brakes alone all round were 2.3k. Then virtually everything that needed changing engine wise I have tried to do (still much more to do) and I haven't even got my car to the painters yet. Been sick of all the small dings and laquer peel on this car for years. It's a 14 year old car now...but people got to have a hobby you know. The car is a money pit. Always was and always will but it's fun.

Reactions: Damien Wood

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
I’m surprised the torque didn’t follow the horses into the 300’s.

Niki dialed back the torque because my PCV was leaking at the time. Also car was too low to get accurate torque figure on Dyno. It feels quicker than 277ft/lbs for sure. But it's been 4 months now since that map and still having troubles blocking vacuum leaks etc. It's literally a base map. No timing adjustments or anything yet.

Reactions: Sparkie

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Niki dialed back the torque because my PCV was leaking at the time. Also car was too low to get accurate torque figure on Dyno. It feels quicker than 277ft/lbs for sure. But it's been 4 months now since that map and still having troubles blocking vacuum leaks etc. It's literally a base map. No timing adjustments or anything yet.

What’s the mani you’ve put on?

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham

Some good points you made there mate, as for the comment of "just get a golf r " is abit laughable really,newer cars I think get given death from the off and once they get older they will just be worn out ragged cars. As for the engines blowing up reminds me of when I had my Renault 5 gt turbo and the same was being said, the real reason really was the owners and not looking after them simple as that I thought. Suspension and service and also odd parts in the last few months im knocking on the door of 1k...
After being over a track day last week seing a hyundai iN30? 19 plate I was thinking that's had a hard life!!
Moving from a mk1 leon to a mk3 would be hard as new cars can be mehhhhhhh kinda feeling if that makes sense.

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Yeh I agree totally. People forget these cars always needed to be regularly maintained and now they're older even more so. I'm guilty of this myself, once upon a time my car did 5k maximum a year then i got seconded to another area and I put nearly 20k miles on it in one year!!! Then due to this I bought a 5 series diesel and for around 1 year my car for forgotten about. Had to keep buying a battery for MOT time etc but as soon as I drove it I remembered how good these are to drive. Now I'm hyper paranoid about battery dying so I drive it a lot more now (to the point I'm getting the love back) but to the detriment of a massive financial burden. (See above).

As I said above I have virtually changed most engine parts and new fuel pump etc etc. Was even going to buy new alternator as I would rather it was all new underneath but I was told it wasnt needed. Thank God.

Anyway that was my point that these cars are VW/Audi so they require good parts. Most people buying stuff off eBay on the cheap thinking it's an upgrade cos it's being changed but most things on the cars aren't upgraded they're just plane cheap. And I think the 1.8t mappers are now noticing hence why it's a dying engine.

Deleted member 103408

After being over a track day last week seing a hyundai iN30? 19 plate I was thinking that's had a hard life!!

I was at Cadwell recently and saw a brand new Aston Martin, Couple 19 Plate Passat and have certainly seen a few new Hyundai being driven hard, I suspect that a lot of these cars are on Lease deals so owners do not care about looking after the motor just rag it for two years and hand it back.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members