Copra 290 pops and bangs disappear after 5 mins

ZionLiam

Dec 4, 2018
I 100% can attest to this. My copra pops and bangs like mad for about 10-15 minutes at most then all of a sudden goes silent, not even a peep. My solution was to go back into automatic mode for a while and it seemed to help but the pops were certainly not as prominent.

gof

Oct 10, 2016
Croatia
My Cupra 300 pops and bangs while driving almosf nonstop. If I rev it too much while stationary it stops after a while. I wondered why too and never got a definitive answer. A guy on a local meet told me it’s due to safety reasons regarding the engine which seems kinda logical.

rcwsr

Jul 5, 2019
Meanwhile my 66 plate manual 290 makes no pops or bangs in sport or cupra mode, so you should be grateful for your 15 minutes of fun [B)]

Seriously though, I do wonder if my car has some software issue that's preventing the pops and bangs when in those modes.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Res delete sport/ Cupra mode pops and bangs all day everyday. I turn mine off around my local estates as it is quite embarrassing lol

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Test drove a 290 today with 15 miles on the clock. Got a few small pops out of it but after reading about the exhausts, I wouldn't expect a pop or a bang consistently before 4,000 miles.

Interestingly, my current FR, the sound on that, as in the engine sound and exhaust sound didn't start to get decent until after about 15,000 miles. You would never get a pop or a bang out of it though.

I honestly couldn't say what might be causing that.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Question; who here actually HAS done a res delete? Or with the copper ones is it the new GPF style exhaust? It would be interesting to see if the res delete cures this or if it is something in the software etc that physically stops it? Does the copper have exhaust valves? If so are they closing after a while? If so can do you something (coding probably) to keep them open?

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Question; who here actually HAS done a res delete? Or with the copper ones is it the new GPF style exhaust? It would be interesting to see if the res delete cures this or if it is something in the software etc that physically stops it? Does the copper have exhaust valves? If so are they closing after a while? If so can do you something (coding probably) to keep them open?
Think it’s been investigated before to see if there is valves in the exhaust. I think the conclusion was that there isn’t. There is however a sound actuator. I don’t know how that works but if it’s like on the GTI UP then there is a portal in the cockpit to the engine bag that opens to allow more sound through rather than anything software based or in the exhaust itself.

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
it does only pop above 2.5-3k revs
I have done a Res Delete on a new 290 (mines missed the copper badging). the GPF is still in place. Yes, its not as loud as the previous 300. with the GPF you get no drone after carrying out the res delete as you do in the 300. I have now done over 7k (around 4k with the res delete) miles and I get some serious popping and some nice bangs on hard acceleration. I did get them without the res delete however they are much more enhanced now. There are no valves on the Cupra exhaust, i cant really comment if it will bring your popping back as i have never experienced mine stopping. all i can say is i would get the Zaustworkx pipe for £65 off ebay and get someone to fit it for about £30. Either way it will sound better than it currently does, pops or not

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Think it’s been investigated before to see if there is valves in the exhaust. I think the conclusion was that there isn’t. There is however a sound actuator. I don’t know how that works but if it’s like on the GTI UP then there is a portal in the cockpit to the engine bag that opens to allow more sound through rather than anything software based or in the exhaust itself.
No valves and the sound actuator is just a bad that vibrates below the window to give it fake noise, it's not linked to the engine/engine noise in anyway

bgb

Jan 22, 2019

Stargate portal style? :p

The UP GTI still uses a body/structure vibration system, same as pretty much all VAG cars. But the UP vibrates up the A pillars instead of the rear of the engine bay.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I still don’t loose any sound on my car after driving in sport for the whole day. I can even hammer it, pushing past the kick down, in Comfort and get enough external sound?:confused:

No delete of any sort, 5k ish miles (which on cold start and standing ticking over in general, is a lot throatier now)

Reactions: GordonMcC
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.