NC 500

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It looks to be an epic drive. I drive up to Ullapool a few times a year to catch the ferry to the Isle of Lewis.

One word of warning though! Please take spare tyres as the 19" wheels do not like that road! I've been unlucky enough to go through 3 over the years.

The A835 does seem be better this summer as I just returned yesterday with only one of those 'stomach sinking' thuds!

That aside I'd love to do it one day!

d3a5c4e4b3a2d824fe75298fea649ea1.jpg
83eb3b2fb1fc5e1524c22643227ccd24.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up!

Do you use Waze as that tells you (if it's been seen already) for pot holes etc lol I recently found this when I borrowed a 290 from SEAT...

Reactions: Peller

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Do you use Waze as that tells you (if it's been seen already) for pot holes etc lol I recently found this when I borrowed a 290 from SEAT...

I found that on the first Doncaster meet. I remember thinking "eh, what pot ho.." *bang*... "oh".

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I never knew that, definitely be trying it out. Thanks for the handy tip!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
That's what this forum is about :)

Any tips or places you would go to on a trip like this?

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018

Scotland?

I never knew about the Waze thing... although to be fair around here it just be a constant warning...

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Scotland?

I never knew about the Waze thing... although to be fair around here it just be a constant warning...

Only thing I don't like about Waze (mobile) is it seemed to lose connection if someone calls you (which they only do when your lost, stressed and need to concentrate).

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh

Aviemore is nice place to stop on the way up. It's a nice little town for a break as the drive up the A9 is very tedious due to the 80+ miles of average speed cameras and road upgrades

If the weather is good Loch Morlich (10 mins away) is a good place to hang out as it has a sandy beach with a café.

I've not really been further than Ullapool so couldn't give any recommendations but I'm sure there is some sort of guide somewhere.

For everyone that requires 99 fuel, Inverness is your only hope! There's 3 Tesco's and a Shell. Once further up you can find a few smaller filling stations, some with 97 Super but I've known people to take octane booster with them!

Last edited:

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
Yeah theres quite a few fuel stations along the way. For the sake of a few days I put in the highest ron I could but had to resort to 95 quite a few times. A lot of the roads are single track so its not as if your hooning it everywhere anyway. Yeah Aviemore is nice. The mrs Grandparents live there but I'd avoid that road up. I'd prefer to go Fort William past Glasgow. It's a much more scenic route past Ben Nevis.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Yeah theres quite a few fuel stations along the way. For the sake of a few days I put in the highest ron I could but had to resort to 95 quite a few times. A lot of the roads are single track so its not as if your hooning it everywhere anyway. Yeah Aviemore is nice. The mrs Grandparents live there but I'd avoid that road up. I'd prefer to go Fort William past Glasgow. It's a much more scenic route past Ben Nevis.

Is it worth taking some jerry cans of vPower or Momentum?

ChrisJKM

Aug 21, 2018
North Yorkshire
Depends if your fussy on what goes in. The odd tank of 95 wouldn't do any harm in the grand scheme of things. We had my car , a mk2 focus rs and a jag f type and filled up on 95. Theres 98 Ron on the way into ullapool I remember that for certain. I personally am not taking any.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
FYI There are various potions you can put in your tank if you want to ensure you keep your Octane level up

example https://www.nimbusmotorsport.com/products/view-product/torco-high-octane-accelerator/

But as you guys are going for the enjoyment of the countryside I am sure the cars will cope for a couple tanks of normal fuel.

Oooo. All the ones I've looked are a bit of a marketing thing. Eg they say will increase by 4 points but really it's 0.4. So this stuff is actually 4 octane not 4 points?

"According to Gumout test results, their octane booster will give you an additional 8 points or 0.8 octane numbers. In simple terms, that means one bottle of Gumout Octane Booster will increase 93 octane gas to 93.8 AKI."

pinky1959

Jun 28, 2020
There is always the SWS 300 route as well .
Great roads and super scenery but lots of camera vans and unmarked police cars so be careful.
Enjoy