fumes after having cambelt and waterpump changed.

Dec 31, 2012
Hi,

I had my cambelt and water pump replaced yesterday on my 1.8 20V Turbo. Now I can smell fumes (Kinda petrol like) inside the car, smell is more prominent when I open the bonnet. I took it back to the garage where I had it fitted and they couldn't seem to find anything wrong with it, bar a small pipe not being seated correctly. (Said it made a click when he pushed down on it).

Smell still persists, unsure if it's lesser or not (Or just if my nose has just got used to it). Has anyone else experience this problem? Thanks.

andycupra

status subject to change
when i had my cambelt done on my 1.8 (by a 'master audi techncian') petrol pissed out all over the engine and driveway the next day when i tried to get to work.
in my case they had not put some connections back together properly. This are at the top left of the engine bay as you look at it, near to the coolant expansion tank.
take a look at the video below, - at 2:12 he is disconnecting the ones i found leaking on my car.
I would say take a look at this and check all pipes are connected correctly and the pipes are not leaking if damaged by manhandling.

IIRC all i had to do was push them back on and all was good.

Reactions: A nice cupra T
Dec 31, 2012
when i had my cambelt done on my 1.8 (by a 'master audi techncian') petrol pissed out all over the engine and driveway the next day when i tried to get to work.
in my case they had not put some connections back together properly. This are at the top left of the engine bay as you look at it, near to the coolant expansion tank.
take a look at the video below, - at 2:12 he is disconnecting the ones i found leaking on my car.
I would say take a look at this and check all pipes are connected correctly and the pipes are not leaking if damaged by manhandling.

IIRC all i had to do was push them back on and all was good.

Hi thanks for this! Wow, that's bad!! Kinda worrying if they're an Audi Master Tech, are any of us safe? lol I just went to a local service/tyre place, the technician actually pressed down on the top one of those 3 hoses you shown when he said he it 'clicked' into place. He looked around the engine and then had it up on ramps but didn't catch anything else. I've had a look at those hoses and top one (Closest to the windshield) seem ok, but the other two seem to have way too much play in them, for example lifting the middle hose slightly and the blue bit underneath doesn't feel very stable at all. Do these things just press down then, I don't really want to break it. Surely he would have spotted it if he was looking around the fuel lines? I will try upload a photo tomorrow.

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

Slightly different design connector (but same place), but same happened to me. Mine broke down driving home, I looked under the car and there was a puddle of petrol. AA came out and first thing he asked before even opening the bonnet "you had a new cambelt in the last 2-3 days?".

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.