TDI FR 184 with Remap advice??

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
Hi all,

I've found a nice 2017 2.0 TDI FR 184 Tech Pack that I'm planning to go and look at later today/tomorrow. The cars had 1 owner, done 52k (80% motorway miles) with full SEAT history.

The current owner has had a Stage 1 remap fitted (213hp/490lb) at around 30k and I was wondering what I should look for when I go and see it and take it out? Will a stage 1 remap put a lot more strain on the engine/clutch? Is there anything else I should keep an eye out or listen for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I've never heard of any premature wear on engine components after a remap on a 184FR. I'd find out who he had the remap done with and see if they are reputable. You don't want one done by someone with maps bought from eBay. Because of the remap, you can kiss goodbye to any remaining SEAT warranty on anything that the remap could possibly affect, engine, clutch, turbo, etc, as it's detectable.

The only issue I had with my 184FR was starting up from cold, where you get a chirping noise from the belt area for a few seconds. Try and see it before it's been started for the day.

Chlub Hibernian

Mar 7, 2017
I traded in my 2014 184 last weekend. I had a remapped from a year old, I had also done 50,000 miles and a similar balance of motorway/non-motorway. It never missed a beat, no component wear. I also had it remapped to 240bhp so you could argue it was a harsher remap than your potential purchase.

I've had so many cars and the 184 was the best by an absolute mile...until I got my Cupra 7 days ago

BT3469

Dec 12, 2016
St Neots
Yeah traded mine last week,2014, 76000 all motorway miles mapped from a week old, never missed a beat, no issues, turned a nice car into a very capable diesel. If it’s a reputable company doing the map, I don’t see the issue, I did tell the dealer(Although I knew the service manager) didn’t have an issue. Enjoy....that’s all I can say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The current owner has had a Stage 1 remap fitted (213hp/490lb)

You sure on the torque figure? An extra 200lbs from software alone sounds a lot. Is there a dyno graph to go with that?

Steve J

May 26, 2019
I've never heard of any premature wear on engine components after a remap on a 184FR. I'd find out who he had the remap done with and see if they are reputable. You don't want one done by someone with maps bought from eBay. Because of the remap, you can kiss goodbye to any remaining SEAT warranty on anything that the remap could possibly affect, engine, clutch, turbo, etc, as it's detectable.

The only issue I had with my 184FR was starting up from cold, where you get a chirping noise from the belt area for a few seconds. Try and see it before it's been started for the day.

I had the same chirp from 1000 miles on the clock. Straight back to Seat and they replaced the belt tensioner. The guy who came out from the dealer said he knew exactly the noise and issue so definitely common. Anyway, on 10k now and no issues. The car's completely stock.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I had the same chirp from 1000 miles on the clock. Straight back to Seat and they replaced the belt tensioner. The guy who came out from the dealer said he knew exactly the noise and issue so definitely common. Anyway, on 10k now and no issues. The car's completely stock.
Same with me, the technician knew exactly what the noise was. They replaced the belt tensioner and it was ok for a few weeks. Same noise came back and they replaced the cambelt. All ok now (touch wood!).