Android Multimedia System for Cupra 290 (2016)

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone fitted an Android Multimedia System to the Cupra 290 (instead of the original Multimedia Screen)?

I looked for one that supports the Cupra features (Cupra's Menu and options) but most of them only support FR (only Sport option in the menu).

I emailed several manufacturers and only XTRONS reply to me that they have one model that supports Cupra but I'm not so sure and they can't send me pictures/video with proof...

Here is the unit -

https://xtrons.co.uk/pr78les

Anyone has any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone fitted an Android Multimedia System to the Cupra 290 (instead of the original Multimedia Screen)?

I looked for one that supports the Cupra features (Cupra's Menu and options) but most of them only support FR (only Sport option in the menu).

I emailed several manufacturers and only XTRONS reply to me that they have one model that supports Cupra but I'm not so sure and they can't send me pictures/video with proof...

Here is the unit -

https://xtrons.co.uk/pr78les

Anyone has any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks
Just want to ask.... why?

NotificatorZeth

Aug 10, 2018
Estonia
Probably useful if you do not have full link or satnav. Possibly the cheapest way to retrofit nav (with the exception of a phone holder). Personally would still be cautious about the car specific stuff being available. If they cannot prove it, then I would not go for it. Find one where they are willing/capable of showing the Cupra stuff.

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
^^That is what I'll do. If they want me to buy their unit, they will have to prove it's working properly with the Cupra.

Just want to ask.... why?

Mirror link (Full link) doesn't work and Android Auto looks horrible and limited.

I need a decent Android screen mainly for navigation (Maps, Waze) and Torque (also will be using Spotify and Trackaddict). I don't want my Smartphone to be attached to the car except from phone calls.

F0zzie

Aug 27, 2017
With Alpine unit I'll still have to connect my phone to the car with AA and will not get all I need. The unit must be with Android OS.

I have another idea, but it could get a bit crowded and I don't know if it can survive track day. Buy a 8-10 inch tablet and mount it with cup holder arm or another type of mount that screws to the chair cradle.

Something like this -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0IQTE8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3E5K6GEFSI075&psc=1

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Truck-...533&s=gateway&sprefix=arkon+ta,aps,320&sr=8-3

Anybody tried that?

Deleted member 103408

There was also mention of the S160 Android head unit that the guys said also supported the cars menu's.

I would worry about using that stuff for track days, normally if its not securley screwed on then they will want it attached to a second item that is firmly attached.

My plan is still to look at a HUD display of sum sort and put the tablet in the speaker area (obviously moving the speaker to another location) but that is a long way off for me.

Sep 22, 2019
Netherlands
Does anyone know why the Xtrons Unit from the link is not compatible with vehicles with original navigation? I have seen it on multiple other brands/sites as a warning that you can't fit it on cars with original radios.

It says in the description: 2. This unit can NOT replace the cars with original navigation.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Does anyone know why the Xtrons Unit from the link is not compatible with vehicles with original navigation? I have seen it on multiple other brands/sites as a warning that you can't fit it on cars with original radios.

It says in the description: 2. This unit can NOT replace the cars with original navigation.
I think it might be to do with how the nav, Bluetooth and USB/Aux ports communicate with each other. In my 2016 FR the USB port in front of the gear selector broke, which in turn killed the phone, nav and Bluetooth connectivity functions of the MIB.

I think that in cars with the original nav all the electronics that deal with connectivity aren't in the screen unit themselves but in the unit that's in the glovebox. From my experience it seems like if one component is broken other areas will fail, so perhaps swapping the head unit in a car that already has nav will disable the electronics that deal with Bluetooth, nav and AUX.

In the cars without nav, the chain of electronics will be much simpler, head unit maybe does the Bluetooth and the unit in the glovebox is only a CD player with SD/Aux slots, so swapping out the head unit is fine

Sep 22, 2019
Netherlands
I think it might be to do with how the nav, Bluetooth and USB/Aux ports communicate with each other. In my 2016 FR the USB port in front of the gear selector broke, which in turn killed the phone, nav and Bluetooth connectivity functions of the MIB.

I think that in cars with the original nav all the electronics that deal with connectivity aren't in the screen unit themselves but in the unit that's in the glovebox. From my experience it seems like if one component is broken other areas will fail, so perhaps swapping the head unit in a car that already has nav will disable the electronics that deal with Bluetooth, nav and AUX.

In the cars without nav, the chain of electronics will be much simpler, head unit maybe does the Bluetooth and the unit in the glovebox is only a CD player with SD/Aux slots, so swapping out the head unit is fine

But shouldn't the new unit take over all the connectivity? Android units have Bluetooth and etc all build in the unit itself. If you build in a aftermarket system all the original connectivity are no use anymore because they are not connected and working anymore because the aftermarket stereo will do the job?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.