POLL: Rear window de-mister button and heated mirrors

Would you find it handy if the rear de-mister button also turned the heated mirrors on and off?

• Yes

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Just a quick poll for you guys to see what you think. It's something I'm looking at doing as a mod, and may make a guide for if people would be interested!

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I always believed the rear demister shut off after 15 mins....

I'm sure I saw something in the settings while poking around using my obd.. Probably just imagining it though...

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I always believed the rear demister shut off after 15 mins....

I'm sure I saw something in the settings while poking around using my obd.. Probably just imagining it though...

The rear demister does shut off after so long, the mirrors however stay on so long as the the switch on the door is turned on. My idea is to link the mirrors upto the rear demister so they too auto turn on and off.

I've had a dig through settings on VCDS and can't see a way of doing it. After looking at the wiring diagrams for the door modules and the BCM, it uses the CAN BUS system to switch on the passenger mirror, as signalled by the switch on the drivers door when its turned on. There may be a way to tell both modules to turn the mirrors on via the CAN BUS system but I don't know if that can be programmed in.

Reactions: Wastedagen

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
not really an issue is it?

my wing mirrors stay in heated position all year round, and iirc I do not think they operate at all times, only at certain temperatures and for a certain period of time.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
not really an issue is it?

my wing mirrors stay in heated position all year round, and iirc I do not think they operate at all times, only at certain temperatures and for a certain period of time.

Not an issue no, just a feature I'd personally like.

I like to leave the switch in the left position to dip them when reversing and not have to change it from that.

Just me being lazy with it I guess

Reactions: Walone and JsyCuPrA

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I leave my mirror switch on the L position for reversing, although now the winter is coming I will likely be making use of the heated mirrors more often. I use the rear windscreen heater sometimes in the summer but only really use the mirror heaters in the winter. Would rather have a switch for each.

My car is parked undercover both at home and at work so I don't usually have any issues.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I leave my mirror switch on the L position for reversing, although now the winter is coming I will likely be making use of the heated mirrors more often. I use the rear windscreen heater sometimes in the summer but only really use the mirror heaters in the winter. Would rather have a switch for each.

My car is parked undercover both at home and at work so I don't usually have any issues.

I use both fairly often, I hate having either of them misted up or covered in rain. I work odd times throughout winter for gritting so quite often when I come to get in the car the screens and mirrors are frosted up.

OJ9693

Mk3 Leon FR 150
Sep 2, 2019

I like to leave the switch in the left position to dip them when reversing and not have to change it from that.

Also just something to do when bored :cheeky:

Reactions: Lozzy15

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
"In most models, the SEAT electric mirror adjustment is combined with exterior mirror heating, so that a clear view to the rear is guaranteed even at low temperatures. This convenience and safety feature is paired with the heated rear window."

Is what SEAT define the heating as. And the manual states;

"Depending on the equipment fitted on
the vehicle, the mirrors may be heated
according to the outside temperature."

Which implies the wing mirrors turn on/off at set temps.

I see the usefulness of leaving them 'active' AND having reverse dip though! Instead of a turn knob it could be a button you depress etc. leaving the other functions unaffected.

Deleted member 103408

On my pre facelift car i have the following settings for

Window heater:

Temperature-dependent switch-on time HSH

Rear window heating time value:

Running time of heated front window:

Temperature-dependent switch-on time FSH:

Shutdown temperature for rear window heater:

Shutdown temperature for front window heater:

On the mirror side all I could see was Comfort use mirror heater whilst i agree the manual says its temp controlled I could not see a value you could change but happy to be told otherwise.

PaulyM

still learning
Apr 6, 2011
Cheshire
Maybe I am a little confused, but I thought the mirrors were only heated if the rear demister is operated and the mirror switch is set accordingly? Not used it in my new car, but I’m sure this is what happened on my pre-fl FR.

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018

This is the issue I have, why can't the mirrow heaters just be on, or on a thermostat like most other cars out there. Having to turn the button between the mirror heaters & reverse dip is annoying.

Reactions: Lozzy15 and Walone

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I’ve seen a few cars needing new mirror glass due to the element having burnt out after being left on, wether on Seats they reset when the ignition is switched off I don’t know, I do know I used the rear window heating a lot more often than the mirrors cause dog steamed the back window when he was in the car when it was damp outside.

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
I’ve seen a few cars needing new mirror glass due to the element having burnt out after being left on, wether on Seats they reset when the ignition is switched off I don’t know, I do know I used the rear window heating a lot more often than the mirrors cause dog steamed the back window when he was in the car when it was damp outside.

On all of the cars I have had (BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, VW, Audi, Vauxhall, MG) I have never seen heating elements on the glass in the wing mirrors, usually the glass is mounted to a heated metal plate, so for heated & non heated the glass itself is the same. Don't know how the Leon is engineered though

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
All the heated mirrors I’ve seen have an adhesive pad stuck on the back of the glass containing the heat elements, costs for elements in the glass would be prohibitive I suspect, they’re usually exposed on the inside so the mirror spider can get a wee heat in winter.:rofl:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Just checked and my Honda has mirrors and rear window on one button, the window isn’t very big and I’m sure switches off via a timer.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise