Cupra ST 300 DSG7 tuning box or map - exhaust sound

Nivster

Sep 3, 2019
Hi All

I'm relatively new here

I've ordered a Leon Cupra ST 300 DSG7...I've not had a test drive of the exact car but I've gathered the exhaust on the non R or Carbon version is quiet...and I won't be able to do the res delete.

My question is, after speaking with a friend with Cupra SC (2017 I think)...he went for APR stage 1 and said there was a noticeable difference in pops, bangs, burbles etc from the exhaust...

I'm wondering if the 2019 DSG7 with dual OPF fitted might benefit from same...and or if a JB4 tuning box (or any other tuning box!) would do same - for a stock exhaust?

Has anyone noticed extra exhaust note / pops bangs burbles / DSG farts etc from using a tuning box (JB4...DTUK... or otherwise!) Doesn't have to be WlTP dual OPF varient...

What about MPG increases with a remap or JB4 - for daily driving? I might end up using this car for work with long commutes.

Cheers!

Reactions: ChrisTC

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi All

I'm relatively new here

I've ordered a Leon Cupra ST 300 DSG7...I've not had a test drive of the exact car but I've gathered the exhaust on the non R or Carbon version is quiet...and I won't be able to do the res delete.

My question is, after speaking with a friend with Cupra SC (2017 I think)...he went for APR stage 1 and said there was a noticeable difference in pops, bangs, burbles etc from the exhaust...

I'm wondering if the 2019 DSG7 with dual OPF fitted might benefit from same...and or if a JB4 tuning box (or any other tuning box!) would do same - for a stock exhaust?

Has anyone noticed extra exhaust note / pops bangs burbles / DSG farts etc from using a tuning box (JB4...DTUK... or otherwise!) Doesn't have to be WlTP dual OPF varient...

What about MPG increases with a remap or JB4 - for daily driving? I might end up using this car for work with long commutes.

Cheers!
Standard ST (all of them) are quiet. Sadly the GPF/PPF version has no res to delete.

Carbon Edition is way better, farts on upshift and you can just about hear pops when the exhaust is hot in Cupra mode.

Can’t comment on the ST R, however unlike the Carbon Edition it doesn’t have a resonator as it has the GPF/PPF.

I got an aftermarket exhaust for my 280 ST, so although the Carbon Edition was a lot better than the standard 280, I still want we a bit more.

Res delete on the Carbon is brilliant but did drone on the motorway. VAG Sport took mine back and used it to make a prototype with anti drone. I’ve tested it for a few thousand miles and it’s perfect. A little quieter than the normal res delete but no drone :) It’s still on my car, just don’t know if they’re going to make it as realistically it would only be for the Golf R estates and carbon editions.

Edit:
As for remap, stage 1 Racingline does make more pops off throttle in Cupra mode. Even pops 50% of the time like the Cupra R (5door) on start up. Exhaust has to be hot or on french Total sans plumb 98 fuel where it did it everytime. Miss that fuel haha. UK 99 V power doesn’t drive any different but is quieter.

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
When i got my res delete done they mentioned they were going to make that anti drone one you have on yours. Came up in conversation when i mentioned you recommended me to go to pp

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Damo H

Nivster

Sep 3, 2019
Standard ST (all of them) are quiet. Sadly the GPF/PPF version has no res to delete.

Carbon Edition is way better, farts on upshift and you can just about hear pops when the exhaust is hot in Cupra mode.

Can’t comment on the ST R, however unlike the Carbon Edition it doesn’t have a resonator as it has the GPF/PPF.

I got an aftermarket exhaust for my 280 ST, so although the Carbon Edition was a lot better than the standard 280, I still want we a bit more.

Res delete on the Carbon is brilliant but did drone on the motorway. VAG Sport took mine back and used it to make a prototype with anti drone. I’ve tested it for a few thousand miles and it’s perfect. A little quieter than the normal res delete but no drone :) It’s still on my car, just don’t know if they’re going to make it as realistically it would only be for the Golf R estates and carbon editions.

Edit:
As for remap, stage 1 Racingline does make more pops off throttle in Cupra mode. Even pops 50% of the time like the Cupra R (5door) on start up. Exhaust has to be hot or on french Total sans plumb 98 fuel where it did it everytime. Miss that fuel haha. UK 99 V power doesn’t drive any different but is quieter.

Cheers yeah doesn't sound too good for me - Cupra ST with OPF - no Res delete option.

I'm trying to keep stock look - and any mods would need to be easily reversible. I know exhaust systems are essentially bolt on items but not cheap and don't have storage space for the stock exhaust.

Interesting about the map though...know anyone with JB4 box? I like the idea of this and seems like there's a lot of adjustments / tweaks that could be made...that might help with pops and bangs.

Wonder if map/box would still affect stock exhaust on the ST with OPF.

I saw there's a crowd in Germany - Underground Exhausts or something - that can do something to stock OPF exhaust to enhance sound...I think they might make the back boxes almost straight through, not sure though. Sounds decent.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Thats what people do in Sweden, they just remove the backboxes so Its straight pipes from GPF. Im not a huge fan bc its just loud n dosent sound that good imo. My R ST sound decent, but have a Remus exhaust ordered

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thats what people do in Sweden, they just remove the backboxes so Its straight pipes from GPF. Im not a huge fan bc its just loud n dosent sound that good imo. My R ST sound decent, but have a Remus exhaust ordered
Will be interesting to know what yours sounds like, but for mine it would probably need a resonator adding back in I reckon.

Reactions: KernelOkey

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
JB4 is brilliant but it won't help with pops and bangs.

Will be interesting to know what yours sounds like, but for mine it would probably need a resonator adding back in I reckon.

Damo is there a solution for ST with GPF to improve the exhaust sound? Other than getting a complete new exhaust, don't want to spend too much. I don't have my car yet as it is on order, just planning ahead. Cheers :)

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
JB4 is brilliant but it won't help with pops and bangs.

Damo is there a solution for ST with GPF to improve the exhaust sound? Other than getting a complete new exhaust, don't want to spend too much. I don't have my car yet as it is on order, just planning ahead. Cheers :)
Only a back box delete or system. Or go stage 2 and get a down pipe. But you then you’ll need a resonator putting back in lol

Reactions: Zer0

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
APR map has "crackle and pop" enabled. Its cool when you first get it but gets annoying eventually, Bloody Porsche has got it as well.

cars with GPF are going to be a lot quieter than the cars with old cats.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Majiic86

Jun 21, 2019
Damn , i Have st 2019 gpf vesrion, i thougt that i could make noise it a little bit better. But thanks for advise mate!

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Damn , i Have st 2019 gpf vesrion, i thougt that i could make noise it a little bit better. But thanks for advise mate!
Your ST is this setup then...

Cupra-Version-C.jpg

Reactions: Zer0 and Majiic86

Mr_G_76

May 3, 2019
My 300ST 4drive with GPF has had a back box delete and the pops and bangs are very loud, which I personally like as it only does it in sport or Cupra modes. However, the overall sound is too loud and boomy for my liking so I'm having going to have couple of small rear boxes added.

Reactions: Majiic86

Majiic86

Jun 21, 2019
My 300ST 4drive with GPF has had a back box delete and the pops and bangs are very loud, which I personally like as it only does it in sport or Cupra modes. However, the overall sound is too loud and boomy for my liking so I'm having going to have couple of small rear boxes added.
Hi Mate , can You make some pic of this?

Mr_G_76

May 3, 2019
And for balance, heres one of the pops on downshifts and a bit of acceleration.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.