Omitting plugs from service.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Car is in this week for a major service in which plugs are due to be changed, car is nearly 5 year old but only 21k miles, fuel consumption is better than ever and drives fine, so is it worth still having the plugs done or leave alone since it’s fine.?
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it, maybe.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'd let them change them as a precaution. Or at the very least, remove and inspect them. My tuner recommends changing them yearly, but that's because the Revo map runs quite rich. But if it costs you £30 every 5 years but keeps your engine running great. I'd go for it... so long as they use a reputable brand (I always use NGK).

Reactions: Lozzy15

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Plugs are mileage dependant. Iridiums are good for 100,000 km's, almost not a service item anymore.
I'd leave them if there's no sign of issues.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
It’s a good idea to have the spark plugs removed every couple of years or so, if only to prevent them becoming seized in the cylinder head.

Good point. My cylinder 1 is quite rusted... which spreads to the coil pack. So I like to pop it out once a year and clean it up! Even yearly, it takes some force!

Deleted member 103408

If VAG recommend 60,000 km or 4 years for replacement I would use that as a minimum (I also change mine yearly)

Reactions: Lozzy15 and Legojon

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
It’s a good idea to have the spark plugs removed every couple of years or so, if only to prevent them becoming seized in the cylinder head.
Interesting idea! (Though I got some iridiums out of a V8 with no problems after 100K miles at 10 years old.)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Plus 1 for NGK. Don't ever use champion (If they even make plugs that fit this engine) they are trash.

My American cousin asked for Tonto wine in Barcelona the other day, that made the waiter smile! (hi-ho Silver).

I've always replaced plugs at the recommended time, which in my case means "years" and not months. I thought that most modern VW Group cars had moved to 4 years for plugs, for a while VW Group fitted seriously expensive plugs and said they were good for 6 years, but not so much now.

NGK has always worked for me in VW Group cars.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I did mine after 3 years, upgraded plugs and fitted the newer revision coilpacks just for the sake of it to be honest.

Deleted member 103408

My American cousin asked for Tonto wine in Barcelona the other day, that made the waiter smile! (hi-ho Silver).

I've always replaced plugs at the recommended time, which in my case means "years" and not months. I thought that most modern VW Group cars had moved to 4 years for plugs, for a while VW Group fitted seriously expensive plugs and said they were good for 6 years, but not so much now.

NGK has always worked for me in VW Group cars.

Yes standard is 4 years except in Africa where its 2

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
My American cousin asked for Tonto wine in Barcelona the other day, that made the waiter smile! (hi-ho Silver)..
Aha, He meant Tinto? Red wine.

My Hondas plug change is 72k or 54 months but the tech reckons that at 40k in 10 years they are good yet, car run fine and the mot emissions are low they’re working fine, leave alone.
I’ll just let the garage change as per service unless they say otherwise, we often left plugs unchanged at service time in the garage if they seemed ok hence the question.

Deleted member 103408

It also depends on what car you have, how you drive it and the state of the tune (eg stock or modified) I have certainly had plugs replaced much sooner after a hard couple track sessions. But for stock cars yes you can go longer but VW Set these service intervals to give the car longevity and performance so in my view you should replace them when specified. Would also be interesting to see what is recorded on ERWIN now if they show you had major service but no plugs change.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
Anti seize compound is always a good idea on plug threads.
First check whether they already have such a coating (e.g. NGK iridiums) or the maker says not to do that. Also, beware of the torque you use if you do add anti-seize. (Dry & wet torques are different.)

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
even if you remove them just to check them you may as well change them

what with the labour cost to inspect might as well change

also spark plugs have a washer where its a once use item, I know it sounds crazy but once removed you should replace with a new item, (manufacturer guidelines) as cannot guarantee seal