Omitting plugs from service.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
even if you remove them just to check them you may as well change them

what with the labour cost to inspect might as well change

also spark plugs have a washer where its a once use item, I know it sounds crazy but once removed you should replace with a new item, (manufacturer guidelines) as cannot guarantee seal

I agree that when they are initially crushed then that will be the best chance of sealing you will have - so technical data suggests that for reuse you use the top end of the recommended torque, which has always worked for me, but not really as the design of the original sealing intended.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I agree that when they are initially crushed then that will be the best chance of sealing you will have - so technical data suggests that for reuse you use the top end of the recommended torque, which has always worked for me, but not really as the design of the original sealing intended.

also done the same in the past and haven’t suffered any issues.

Was just a thought really

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
even if you remove them just to check them you may as well change them

what with the labour cost to inspect might as well change

also spark plugs have a washer where its a once use item, I know it sounds crazy but once removed you should replace with a new item, (manufacturer guidelines) as cannot guarantee seal
Why not DIY? It couldn't be simpler than on the EA888. Except for Morris minors etc.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Just left it to be serviced as per schedule, although I did ask regarding this with the service manager, he’d never had it questioned before, invoice states long life plugs! 4years or 40k doesn’t fit that description in my mind, but the car seems to better on fuel according to the computer, that could be a combination of new filter etc.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'm guessing that VW Group are just being a bit silly, when spark plugs were replaced at 6years or 60K miles, they did seem to also sell and fit cheaper plugs probably to cars that only came back into the dealer service loop when changing owners, and the menu servicing for them and their owners did claim to change plugs at every major service, which always sounded like a bit weird, but it did seem to happen to some people at some dealership's workshops.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members