Regretting 5w40 oil being used instead of the usual 5w30

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
Not long had the cam-belt and water-pump changed but while it was in had a service as well. Now the engine has 5w40 in it the boost lower down the rev range that made it feel lively is greatly reduced and the overall power of the car I can feel down. Went with 5w40 as the car has a remap (just stage 1 APR) and can use a bit of oil. I will soon as I can revert to 5w30 and if the car was stage 2+ I would imagine the power levels can overcome the power loss of thicker oil at high temps.

I know 5w40 is a valid oil for the car its just the livelyness seems dampened now and it was more fun with the 5w30.

Fuel economy seems a little worse as well.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm, something doesn't sound quite right there. I switched to 5w40 at my next service after the Stage1 and noticed no difference. Plus, a slight difference in oil wouldn't lose bhp. APR do switchable maps don't they? Have you tried switching the map over? Maybe they've reset something.

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
The ECU I have can only hold the one map so cant do the switchable bit on mine. Its a 5w40 Shell oil that went in and the garage that did it don't have the ability to map one so cant think they would touch the map on it. The car just doesn't feel as fun right now and it desperately needs an intake clean as its never had one and its now on 102,000 miles. Cant afford that with the car insurance and birthdays and xmas soon so will have to next year.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
The ECU I have can only hold the one map so cant do the switchable bit on mine. Its a 5w40 Shell oil that went in and the garage that did it don't have the ability to map one so cant think they would touch the map on it. The car just doesn't feel as fun right now and it desperately needs an intake clean as its never had one and its now on 102,000 miles. Cant afford that with the car insurance and birthdays and xmas soon so will have to next year.

Does your invoice show what they changed? Plugs, fuel filter, did they touch the battery (not sure if APR maps reset on battery disconnect like Revo do)?

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
It was an interim service so not the full service done. I only changed the plugs along with the list of bits I posted a little while back but iirc the invoice didnt list much on the service side of things. Can take a second look tonight.

Aug 21, 2019
So it had the cambelt done at the same time? did I read that right? Maybe they've put it on 1 tooth out, which would have the effects your describing.

5w40 isnt a big enough change in viscosity to the that noticeable.

air121005

Sep 28, 2006
Worcestershire
So it had the cambelt done at the same time? did I read that right? Maybe they've put it on 1 tooth out, which would have the effects your describing.

5w40 isnt a big enough change in viscosity to the that noticeable.

I’d agree with BigK and complain to the garage that it’s lost power since they had it apart.
Ask them to check the timing alignment

A change in oil wouldn’t cause power loss

Reactions: BigK
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.