How to turn off airbag light on Seat Ibiza 6j without going into garage

Joakley

Oct 19, 2019
Hi there, I recently changed my steering wheel and my airbag light is on. Does anybody know a cheap way to turn this off without going to the garage and paying such a high price. I have a Seat Ibiza 6j 2014. Would be a great help. Thanks.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Hi there, I recently changed my steering wheel and my airbag light is on. Does anybody know a cheap way to turn this off without going to the garage and paying such a high price. I have a Seat Ibiza 6j 2014. Would be a great help. Thanks.
Yup, I agree with Ryone. VCDS (VAG-COM) will do it. As you may know, the light will be on because the ECU has logged a fault. VCDS will let you erase this stored code which should, hopefully, turn the light out. If it doesn't VCDS will be able to read the code and get a good pointer to where the problem is. I would feel nervous about driving around with a possible fault in the air bag system. An inflation is a pretty violent affair, not something you want happening unexpectedly!

Roughly where are you in the country? perhaps someone with VCDS is near you?

Reactions: Legojon

Ryone

Jul 22, 2019
Yup, I agree with Ryone. VCDS (VAG-COM) will do it. As you may know, the light will be on because the ECU has logged a fault. VCDS will let you erase this stored code which should, hopefully, turn the light out. If it doesn't VCDS will be able to read the code and get a good pointer to where the problem is. I would feel nervous about driving around with a possible fault in the air bag system. An inflation is a pretty violent affair, not something you want happening unexpectedly!

Roughly where are you in the country? perhaps someone with VCDS is near you?
I would say that the airbag light is on because he got a sport wheel with no airbag.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I would say that the airbag light is on because he got a sport wheel with no airbag.

if you remove airbag without disconnecting the battery it will log an error, and once it is logged a error the light will be on until is cleared by vcds... (yes, it will not turn off after installing the airbag again)

same stuff happens if you remove anything connected to the airbag, like the console to lock unlock the car, has an airbag light and if you remove it it will log an error and the light will be on forever (untill you clean it).

or if you remove a seat... and so on....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.