A year with the new Cupra 290

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Hi All

I have now had my Mk3 Leon Cupra 290 (WLTP Version) for a few days short of a year now and I thought that I would write a small review on it after 1 year and 8,000 miles of driving it.

I had originally ordered a Skoda Karoq (preparing for family life) but after 1 month into the 6/7 month waiting list I got fed up waiting and the deals started to come through for the Seat Leon Cupra, I honestly could not believe the prices so I therefore cancelled my Skoda order in favour of the Cupra and 3 weeks later, the Cupra was on my driveway.

I had ordered the car in the new Magnetic Grey colour as the car was being used as a work car. I was a bit worried as at the time I could not find a single picture of the colour and as we all know the colours on the car configurators are not a true reflection of real life. Safe to say i was more than impressed with the colour.

Exterior Looks:
In my opinion the Mk3 Leon is the best looking out of the Golf/A3/Octavia, I have had 2 in a row so I must like them. The Cupra alloys are very smart and extremely easy to clean (big bonus there) and I think I was lucky as my car arrived with the red calipers rather than the black ones that they now come with. I Also have the silver badges rather than the copper which has kind of grown on me. The car is very understated but those who know, know! The paintwork is very good and doesn't chip easily, I have found 1 chip and its on the front wing. i do treat the car every 2/3 months with the hybrid ceramic wax and 2 bucket wash every week which i think really helps

Interior:
the interior has held up well over the past year with my only real big complaint being the gloss black around the gear selector as this get scratched so easily, even with a plush duster.
Android Auto is a bit of a hit and miss, it randomly disconnects which is really annoying.
the DSG paddles are total rubbish and cheap, I added extensions which complete the look but also make using them far easier, Alcantara seats are comfy and the Fake leather bolsters hold up better than real leather as they do not get stretch marks. some of the lower plastics can scratch easily
The Digital dash looks great aswell and is pretty customisable.

Tyres:
the car was supplied with Continental Sport Contact 5P tyres and this was the cars biggest downfall. The grip was decent but would struggle with 1st and most times 2 gear hard acceleration and they would slide on damp/wet road. they lasted me 7,500 miles!!! I also had punctures 3 times, I have never experienced that, i did expect maybe 12,000. This was my opportunity to swap them for Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres and WOW what a difference, these should be supplied as standard. The grip is immense, the steering feel has strangely became lighter but you can really get the power down and even in damp conditions, they also look good.

Economy:
Around town the car gives 30mpg which is pretty decent in stop start.
on a motorway run at 65mph I have seen the car read just shy of 45mpg which is impressive, push the speed to the speed limit of 70 and the car still does 40mpg on a good run.
Obviously when this car is driven rewardingly hard you are in the high teens low 20s
Fuel tank is far to small, £50 or so fills it so you are making more trips to the petrol station which makes you think you are eating fuel

Exhaust:
This has been one of the biggest complaints of the new Cupra due to WLTP and the addition of a GPF in the exhaust system. there no crakcs or loud bangs like the old 300 and 290 but after a few thousand miles they could be heard but still not as pronounced.
This was then fixed by carrying the res-delete modification on the exhaust. This has made a hug difference, the car now growls and bangs on hard upshifts and pops on the downshifts without being served with an ASBO. Cheap and easy.

Engine:
The power delivery is fantastic, the engine is eager but can be held back in comfort mode and the Gearbox in D. The car has really opened up and wants to sprint all the time. 3 clicks on the mode selector and Cupra mode lights up and the car goes into full attack mode. A lot complain about the fake sound actuator but i quite like it, it adds to the drama and doesn't sound as fake as the Focus ST, new and old. On a cold start up the engine sounds quite whiney but soon settles down.

I have probably missed a few points but please share your own be that the same or different

Overall the car has been great and I would definitely change for another which will probably be the Mk4 by this time next year.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Great little review and a good read for us waiting for our first Cupra and for me in particular who has a Magnetic Grey on order :)

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Hang on, £50 fills it? Does the 290 have a smaller tank than the 280...? I’m about £70 every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
Hang on, £50 fills it? Does the 290 have a smaller tank than the 280...? I’m about £70 every time.

Last fuel receipt (work purposes) was £53.52 using Tesco Momentum 99. I had 20 miles left according to the car. I remember my previous Fr diesel only taking around 50 or 60 quid

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Well, I thought it was 55 litres but everything I read online states 50.... I let my computer go to 0 and then fill up, I get in around 52ish litres each time, I thought I had lots of wiggle room too..

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
I'm at least £60 everytime I fill up always v-power or momentum. Had the car almost 11 months and still love it.

Reactions: GordonMcC

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Both really. Wondering if tis even worth extending the warranty if theres been nothing wrong so far. The alloys possibly... but would corrosion on the alloys after 4 years be somehting that could be covered under warranty?
If you plan on keeping the car I'd consider extending it, I doubt alloy corrosion would be covered after 3 years but would handy to have engine and gearbox components covered I suppose.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
If you plan on keeping the car I'd consider extending it, I doubt alloy corrosion would be covered after 3 years but would handy to have engine and gearbox components covered I suppose.
I would have thought anything considered wear and tear with normal use wouldnt be covered though?

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
I
I would have thought anything considered wear and tear with normal use wouldnt be covered though?
Think extended warranties cover things that have a catastrophic failure. Only a guess as iv never had new car longer than 3 years. It may be the case with the new 290 that the GPF could fail like so many DPFs on diesel cars have.

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
I

Think extended warranties cover things that have a catastrophic failure. Only a guess as iv never had new car longer than 3 years. It may be the case with the new 290 that the GPF could fail like so many DPFs on diesel cars have.
I guess the issue is these cars havent been around long enough for these problems to show their faces.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Wear and tear is things like tyres, brakes, a broken spring, clutch failing etc etc. If the gearbox, alternator, starter motor or engine goes then that's when a warranty comes good. If you are offered an extended warranty asks for something that details whats excluded.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
If you go for Seat’s extended warranty, it’s an electrical and mechanical breakdown / failure insurance product. There’s a specific exclusion of tyres and wheels under the ‘What is not covered’ section in the warranty booklet, so cosmetic deterioration or corrosion of the alloys wouldn’t be covered.

I doubt any other independent aftermarket warranty would cover wheels either, as those warranty products will also be electrical and mechanical breakdown / failure insurance products.

Corrosion of alloys should be covered under the initial three year factory warranty if it’s the result of a manufacturing defect, although VAG seem to be taking a much harder line on warranty claims for wheels these days than they used to - I suppose dieselgate has to be paid for somehow l, and reducing the number and overall cost of warranty claims is one way of doing this. I had a couple of wheels replaced under warranty on my previous VW; dealer took a few photos - presumably to send to VW for authorisation, and they were replaced without question. I’ve heard they now take measurements of paint and lacquer thickness, and if the thickness is outside of what’s considered normal (presumably, this might be the case if a wheel has been refurbished), wheel warranty claims are denied.

Last edited:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I’ve just had my 67 CUPRA 300 in for some warranty work. The washer pump suddenly decided to stop working. Took it into my local dealer to check out and they changed it with no issues as I would expect.

I found out at the same time that there was a recall on my car with regards to the LED headlights too, So that was done at the same time. (Recall is only associated with cars built around the same time as mine - November 2017 so I’m told).