2014 leon spark plug replace

pashok.tr

Aug 16, 2014
Hello,
My vehicle is Leon of year 2014 engine 1.2 DSG passed about 97K KM,
I want to replace the spark plugs because of a misfire problem.
From what I found on the net the problem is Lack of spark inside the piston, so I want to start replacing the spark plugs.
I know there are the genuine spark plugs, but are there any other company's spark plugs that are better than the genuine?
I would like for specific spark plug models.
Thank you

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hello,
From what I found on the net the problem is Lack of spark inside the piston, so I want to start replacing the spark plugs.
I know there are the genuine spark plugs, but are there any other company's spark plugs that are better than the genuine?
Thank you
These are probably the best for the 1.2 obviously use the code for cheapness.
35fae0a3f8d77654096c84acd3b59c65.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Hello,
Thank you
I have the same car and just changed mine at 90k miles as I was having the same issues. I put genuine ones in as they are NGK at a cost of £64. Didn't think that was too bad.

ac80e1dd94c5fd9ae3a1cb43fac14670.jpg

b118e9c18a9c78d33b48300c113795aa.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I agree, NGK if possible as that is what VW have used at the factory for many many years.

Unfortunately for me, I had bought a long tubular spark plug removal socket from Laser Tools many years ago, it worked very well for my wife's 2002 Polo etc, but when I went to use it to replace the spark plugs on my wife's current 2015 Polo 1.2TSI, that socket would not fit these plugs - and the reason was, the slightly longer length of the insulator along with the fact that these new style of plugs insulator is not tapered - so I had to open out slightly the inner bore of that tool, so for that spark plug replacement I needed to use an old spark plug socket and an extension as I needed to buy in a couple of quality drills to open out the bore. I told Laser Tools about this and they seemed slightly confused and claimed it must have been a badly manufactured one as current versions fit all these newer plugs, I think that someone must have revised the original drawing to accommodate these newer styles of plugs.

pashok.tr

Aug 16, 2014
I have the same car and just changed mine at 90k miles as I was having the same issues. I put genuine ones in as they are NGK at a cost of £64. Didn't think that was too bad.

ac80e1dd94c5fd9ae3a1cb43fac14670.jpg

b118e9c18a9c78d33b48300c113795aa.jpg

do you have the part number of this spark plugs?
your engine model is CJZ?

pashok.tr

Aug 16, 2014
I agree, NGK if possible as that is what VW have used at the factory for many many years.

Unfortunately for me, I had bought a long tubular spark plug removal socket from Laser Tools many years ago, it worked very well for my wife's 2002 Polo etc, but when I went to use it to replace the spark plugs on my wife's current 2015 Polo 1.2TSI, that socket would not fit these plugs - and the reason was, the slightly longer length of the insulator along with the fact that these new style of plugs insulator is not tapered - so I had to open out slightly the inner bore of that tool, so for that spark plug replacement I needed to use an old spark plug socket and an extension as I needed to buy in a couple of quality drills to open out the bore. I told Laser Tools about this and they seemed slightly confused and claimed it must have been a badly manufactured one as current versions fit all these newer plugs, I think that someone must have revised the original drawing to accommodate these newer styles of plugs.

do you mean to this tool?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-Spark...rentrq:eb060e2916d0ad31c3df261effeccf33|iid:1

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
No, but that one should fit okay, what I bought was Laser Tools 3682.

Edit:- just one thing though, if your car has the 1.2TSI 16V engine, then it will use the plugs shown in the other posting and these plugs have a 16mm AF hex end on them, not a 14mm hex end.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I bought the correct type of tool that grips the coil through its fixing screw hole.- search ebay for coil removal tools and you should find one type that has an expanding "nut/sleeve" like Laser Tools 6298.

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
How did you removed the coil?
The coil on mine was removed by unscrewing the 10 or 8mm bolt and pulling straight upwards. Take care not to pull at an angle.

Did it on a warm engine...

As for removing the plugs I just used a regular spark plug socket that came in my halfords socket set. And a long extension. No special or custom tools needed.....

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
Thanks so much bro for the explanation,
I will try to buy the components for work.
What is sure is that it is cheaper than at the garage.
No problem. It is a cheap maintence job to do oneself..... Be aware you will have to remove the air filter box and pipework to gain access to coil & plug #4... But these all come off with ease.....

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Also the number below the VW Group p/n is the proper NGK model number, the plugs that come out will probably be the "A" version but all replacements will be the "B" version - I think that the NGK number on the original will also be "A" where the latest versions will always be "B"

Reactions: Wastedagen

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Check the plug gaps, pre-gapped plugs aren't always so. Use anti seize compound on the threads, DO NOT overtighten. Tears will follow.

There is always quite a bit of debate on that issue - "use of anti seize compound", I have used it in the past but not now, maybe more relevant when screwing steel plugs into cast iron heads, VW Group I think, do not advice the use of that sort of stuff at least on alloy heads.

cupra14

Aug 31, 2017
England
The NGK plugs I've used in recent(ish) times state not to use anti-seize and already have a coating. YMMV, though.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.