Spacesaver psi

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
So I'm currently on my knees in the driveway and can't find what to inflate the spacesaver tyre to. Sidewall says 60psi but is that a max? It's currently got about 38 in it. 60 seems really high.

Need it to get me 2 miles in the morning.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that 60PSI is what it needs to be inflated to, I was just going to write "I think that it is written on it" - but you know that already.

I was messing about in the boot of my wife's 2015 Polo and its "full size but 15" felt slightly soft or "in need" of a top up, I think that I should attend to that and the skinny one in my car's boot!

Edit:- though I'd think that that pressure is a "fits all" for any car with that size of space saver.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I know this sounds weird... but the spacesaver feels rock solid as is. I figured 60psi would blow it up like a tom n jerry cartoon. Also, I assume this is too close to the sidewall? (Not sure on depth as I've left it in for now - but 0psi in it).
upload_2019-10-22_22-33-32.png

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Blinking Bother, I'd reckon that you are correct there!

I too will have reservations about adding any air if my space saver feels solid, for me, time will tell.

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
I know this sounds weird... but the spacesaver feels rock solid as is. I figured 60psi would blow it up like a tom n jerry cartoon. Also, I assume this is too close to the sidewall? (Not sure on depth as I've left it in for now - but 0psi in it).
View attachment 10733

Ohh the pain I’m afraid that your correct mate if that tyre is punched then it’s too close to the edge and it’s a new tyre needed as can’t repair
The space saver tyre should be inflated to 60psi
Will it fit over your front brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Ohh the pain I’m afraid that your correct mate if that tyre is punched then it’s too close to the edge and it’s a new tyre needed as can’t repair

When they pulled it out... it's actually worse than it looked... even though I whipped the wheel off as soon TPMS came on. The bit in the pic is sticking out... the rest of it is actually sticking in the interior side wall. £162 and I can pick my wheel back up at lunch. Just annoyed as I'm trying to wear out the two year old two fronts and had the rears for 3 months.

Halford's tyre inflator could only get it to 56psi so I thought "close enough".

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is assuming that someone fitted the correct space saver in, someone in the MK3 section, I think, had a spot of bother when his 16" space saver, as supplied when he collected his new car, did not fit over the REAR brakes on his Cupra after he had a puncture - someone needs a kicking for that!

Reactions: Yellow fr

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
That is assuming that someone fitted the correct space saver in, someone in the MK3 section, I think, had a spot of bother when his 16" space saver, as supplied when he collected his new car, did not fit over the REAR brakes on his Cupra after he had a puncture - someone needs a kicking for that!

Seems to work. Although in my fluster I forgot to remove the wheel spacer first time I put it on so that was almost a disaster as it wasn't sitting on the hub. But I put my hand behind the caliper and checked the clearance and it seemed alright. I think it's the right wheel as it's 18" and the spacesaver in SL2 is 17". I was more worried it was going to catch the wheel arch as it looks taller than the proper wheel. But that must be an illusion as its an inch smaller.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that issue with the MK3 Leon being bought new with a 16" space saver was a one off, but it should have prompted others to check their space saver to make sure it is the correct type/size I seem to have this obsession to record all tyre types and sizes so I'm okay in that respect for our cars.

I can well imagine that a car with a skinny space saver will give that impression.

Reactions: Legojon
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.