Retrofit heated wing mirrors??

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
Hi,

I now have a 2017 FR 184 Tech Pack which has folding, but not heated mirrors (no heated symbol on mirror adjusting switch) and wondered if it was possible, what would be required to add heated feature to the mirrors?

Thanks

TR

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi,

I now have a 2017 FR 184 Tech Pack which has folding, but not heated mirrors (no heated symbol on mirror adjusting switch) and wondered if it was possible, what would be required to add heated feature to the mirrors?

Thanks

TR
I thought all Leon’s had heated folding mirrors...

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I don't think mine has a symbol to be honest. I would've thought all cars nowadays have heated wing mirrors.

On mine to activate, I just push the little round knob forward.. It springs back and wing mirrors should start to heat up....

Reactions: Turborat

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
I don't think mine has a symbol to be honest. I would've thought all cars nowadays have heated wing mirrors.

On mine to activate, I just push the little round knob forward.. It springs back and wing mirrors should start to heat up....

I'll give that a go in the morning and see if that works. Just I've seen some pictures of switches with a heating element symbol to the top right but I'll see in the morning!!

Thanks

TR

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I'll give that a go in the morning and see if that works. Just I've seen some pictures of switches with a heating element symbol to the top right but I'll see in the morning!!

Thanks

TR
I just had a quick look in the car and, sorry, I stand corrected.

6ac9557997ba872777270747fedd0bfb.jpg

Mine does show a symbol. But like I said just push the round knob forward.

rcwsr

Jul 5, 2019
I didn't realise mine had heated mirrors until I read a similar thread on here. You can't see the symbol from the drivers seat!

Reactions: Kirky and OJ9693

Turborat

Sep 16, 2019
I just had a quick look in the car and, sorry, I stand corrected.

6ac9557997ba872777270747fedd0bfb.jpg

Mine does show a symbol. But like I said just push the round knob forward.

Unfortunately Mine is a different switch to yours.

I decided to turn it to the top right setting (no symbol on switch) and hey presto, the mirrors heated up fine??

Thanks for your help guys.

TR

Reactions: Wastedagen

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
More likely the installer ballsed up, cannot see how you can even rub it off, such a weird position for it to be caught.
But why would a switch without the symbol, even have that position on it, let alone have the wiring/contacts etc underneath?

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
But why would a switch without the symbol, even have that position on it, let alone have the wiring/contacts etc underneath?

I have seen LHD controls fitted before on a RHD, I am sure it was on here so they were upside down :lol: Anything is possible with humans. If you think, the button is everything, the cover is just a cover and applied afterwards as it is part of the arm rest

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
I did a job for a guy with an old Mondeo some time back, he said "the electric windows don't work" turns out some body had fitted the whole switch block upside down in the door!

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
After having my car for 15 months (and a winter), thanks to this thread, I have just learnt I have heated mirrors! Thanks guys!

My switch has 2 symbols above though, top right looks like heated windows, top left looks like folding mirrors. Do I still just push it forward?

Reactions: SRGTD

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
After having my car for 15 months (and a winter), thanks to this thread, I have just learnt I have heated mirrors! Thanks guys!

My switch has 2 symbols above though, top right looks like heated windows, top left looks like folding mirrors. Do I still just push it forward?
Yeah, just leave it in the 2 oclock position all the time. Occasionally i switch to L when I need to see the kerb when reversing, but otherwise its left in the heated position all the time. Manual says it turns off after a short while so no over heating :)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It makes me smile when I read that someone has discovered a feature they didn’t know they had in their car after a fairly lengthy period of ownership :).

I do make a point of going through the owners manual when I get a new car. It’s definitely not the most exciting read, or user-friendly book - if you’re having problems sleeping, it’s a good bedtime read! Is it sad that I do this? Maybe, but if I’ve spent a fairly sizeable sum of money on a car, I want to know what features it’s got and how they work, so I can make full use of them, rather than discover something new some months after getting the car that I could’ve benefited from.

Lots of owners don’t bother reading the manual though, judging by the ‘things I’ve just discovered about my car’ threads on many forums!

Reactions: Bedlam

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
It makes me smile when I read that someone has discovered a feature they didn’t know they had in their car after a fairly lengthy period of ownership :).

I do make a point of going through the owners manual when I get a new car. It’s definitely not the most exciting read, or user-friendly book - if you’re having problems sleeping, it’s a good bedtime read! Is it sad that I do this? Maybe, but if I’ve spent a fairly sizeable sum of money on a car, I want to know what features it’s got and how they work, so I can make full use of them, rather than discover something new some months after getting the car that I could’ve benefited from.

Lots of owners don’t bother reading the manual though, judging by the ‘things I’ve just discovered about my car’ threads on many forums!
My favourite is the place to put the fuel cap,so many people just let it dangle on the paint work :D

Reactions: BazJeffo

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Thanks for the info and replies. It is freezing here in the mornings, so I shall try them out tomorrow!

I have never noticed the symbols above the adjuster nob, they are out of view when in the drivers seat. I must admit I have never read any of my car manuals page to page, but I try to read the main stuff!