multitronic box query

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
Hi Guys

Just looking for a bit of advice on my car. It is in fact a 2012 seat exeo 2.0tdi 143

cars done 78000miles and has had 1 owner the whole time since new, serviced by the same SEAT garage at the recommended times, for everything its ever needed in its life so far.
I noticed in the history book that the gearbox oil has never been touched, so today called them and spoke to a technician at the dealer. They said my box is a lifelong unit and does not get serviced other than checking the oil at the service times.
I should say at this point that the gearbox is working fine, and I have only just become worried after being informed about multitronic issues from audi b7 forum members.

anyway ive moved house now and contacted my new local dealer this morning and explained the same concerns to them. They said that some units are lifelong and others are not, they would need to check, but according to Seat's service schedule that they work to, oil should be changed at 40,000 miles on serviceable boxes or topped up if a non serviceable box.

So who do I believe?? 1 dealers telling me no don't change it and one saying it should be changed..

Whats peoples thoughts on here?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
If it were me, I'd get a price from an independent garage who I trust. And then decide if that amount of money was worth spending as a preventative measure.

Eg. I'm having my oil pickup pipe changed next month. I don't feel there's anything wrong with the car. But it'll cost me £100 and I get peace of mind that it's been done.

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
If it were me, I'd get a price from an independent garage who I trust. And then decide if that amount of money was worth spending as a preventative measure.

Eg. I'm having my oil pickup pipe changed next month. I don't feel there's anything wrong with the car. But it'll cost me £100 and I get peace of mind that it's been done.
Dare i ask, is this another common problem with this car?

the stripler

Fighter pilot on Rails
Apr 8, 2014
Lanark, Scotland
Ahh, fair enough mate.

Well my cars going in tomorrow, dealers just told me theyll check car first. If its not serviceable theyll leave it alone, and if it is then theyll change it...

well, cars back after transmission oil change, so not sealed for life, not sure it feels any different to be honest, total cost £135.00
leaves me a bit confused as to why the car has had a full service history by SEAT and they have not changed the oil at 40k miles previously,
what is even more confusing is all the chat on the forums regarding this issue about it being such a big deal...unless im missing something.

SEATA4

Nov 23, 2016
Was told by a guy who is a very good mechanic who for years worked at a Audi main dealership that its best to change the oil every 30K .

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.