Changing the Rear Indicators to LED

Tell

Staff member
Although the Xcellence 2017 Ateca was termed "full LED" not all the bulbs are LED. For the lesser models this increases.

The rear indicator lights are of the conventional bulb type, so too the reversing lights and fog lights. Front fog lights were not full LED in the 2016 / 2017 Atecas. Whilst there might be legal restrictions to keep the fog lights as is in the intensity and some difficulty in changing them in any case, the other bulbs can be changed.

The Spanish Ateca board has picked up on a 21 SMB rear indicator, VANSSI 2x PY21W LED Bulb BAU15s 7507 LED Amber 21SMD Replacement Bulb Turn Signal Indicator Lamps High Performance Black Series. These have been found to be Canbus error free. The light strength is about twice that of the original.

See post 154

https://www.clubseatateca.com/threads/bombilla-intermitente-trasero-led.1326/page-8

Amazon UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VANSSI-BAU15S-Amber-Indicator-Light/dp/B072ZSJDBP?tag=mokownclu-21

Also available on Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VAN...lgo_pvid=273bcf84-46e4-4c23-9026-8219cb022e16

November 2019 new link to Amazenar sold Vanssi rebranded LEDs sold under this branding - see post 4 below.

2-Pack 1156PY 1056 BAU15S 7507 12496 Extremely Bright Amber / Yellow Non-Polarity LED Light 9-30V-DC, 2835 21 SMD Replacement For Turn signal Blinker Light Tail Stoplight Bulbs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extremely-...074CZHKY7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

July 2022. See post 29 below for potential alternative 33 SMB units, 21 SMB ones no longer available. Fitting instructions stay the same.

This is what they look like against the bulbs I took out:

eHVFvH9.png

Fitted in the car not illuminated, heavily reflected around in the reflectors:

er5RUEH.png

Essentially there are three SMBs mounted behind a top len, plus 6 mounted per side on a three sided bulb construction ((3x6) + 3 = 21) - see first picture and links.

Below is a picture showing the left one fitted and the right one with the standard bulb. The different brightness levels can be seen:

0e4Ab18.png

Fitting can be fiddly opening up the mount which is contained by four lugs but depends a lot on luck. The left was easy, right more difficult to release the final clip.

There is a very good Youtube video which shows the process:

Essentially use a screw driver to flip up the side materiel cover, unscrew the plastic retaining screw, slide out the light cluster, un-clip the power lead (similar to PC connectors), then remove the unit to work on. The Ateca manual doesn't really cover the procedure too well since it wants you to remove the lead ahead of removing the light cluster. There is more room to move your hand in to un-clip the power lead once the unit is slid out as per the video than trying to do it in the boot.

For completeness the manual page on the subject:

It is a fairly easy job, just fiddly on the four lugs. Nice bright LED lights at the end of the job which should have LED reliability meaning that you won't need to replace them during the life of the car.

Other LED indicator bulbs are available but these seem to work well and twice as bright as the ones that come with the car :).

For LED reversing lights see:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ing-lights-with-led-flashwolves-mtech.438101/

Last edited:
Reactions: ChrisWXM

Tell

Staff member
Bulbs seem to be out of stock everywhere. Can anyone provide a link to any others they have installed and have working without any issues?

Reckon these are the substitute model from Alliexpress... bit brighter 1260lm v 850lm

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/2025926808.html

They are 50% brighter than the original Vanssi ones. I did buy my original ones from Alliexpress with the excitement of getting them direct from China:).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/322...1.0,pvid:fff5ad8c-e527-42de-90dd-806abcc04dcb

The PY21W specifies the fitting. They pop up on assorted sellers on Aliexpress.

These say official store....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32284446908.html

I know other people have fitted different one to their Ateca. I've been happy with the Vanssi ones. Worked faultlessly for about 2.5 yrs now.

Have you got your car yet ?. Are you sure it's doesn't have LED indicators at the back. I can't say I keep up with the twists and turns of which Ateca are 100% Led and which they cut corners on.

Tell

Staff member
Ok after a bit of Googling pretty sure that the original 850lm ones are now badged as Amazenar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extremely-Non-Polarity-9-30V-DC-Replacement-Stoplight/dp/B074CZHKY7/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=2+packs+1156py+1056+bau15s+7507+12496+py21w+2835+21+smd+extremely+clear+yellow+/+yellow+non+polarity+led+light+9+30v+dc+replacement+for+direction+indicators&qid=1572905530&sr=8-1-fkmr0

They came up as an alternative for the Vanssi ones on the Italian Amazon site down the bottom

https://www.amazon.it/Vanssi-lampadina-indicatore-BAU15S-confezione/dp/B072ZSJDBP

Available on the UK Amazon site. The spec is the same, they look identical. If you zoom up on the second image it says Vanssi and in the others. Only the first image has Vanssi removed :) ... so settled. First link above.

Last edited:

ChrisWXM

Sep 25, 2019
North East Wales, UK
Ok after a bit of Googling pretty sure that the original 850lm ones are now badged as Amazenar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extremely-Non-Polarity-9-30V-DC-Replacement-Stoplight/dp/B074CZHKY7/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?keywords=2+packs+1156py+1056+bau15s+7507+12496+py21w+2835+21+smd+extremely+clear+yellow+/+yellow+non+polarity+led+light+9+30v+dc+replacement+for+direction+indicators&qid=1572905530&sr=8-1-fkmr0

They came up as an alternative for the Vanssi ones on the Italian Amazon site down the bottom

https://www.amazon.it/Vanssi-lampadina-indicatore-BAU15S-confezione/dp/B072ZSJDBP

Available on the UK Amazon site. The spec is the same, they look identical. If you zoom up on the second image it says Vanssi and in the others. Only the first image has Vanssi removed :) ... so settled. First link above.

That’s brilliant, many, many thanks for that. I saw those ones but I wasn’t quite sure if they were the same. Amazon UK is perfect for me and looks like they be here in time for the 14th when I take delivery of my new Ateca.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

thanks again, really appreciate it.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
That’s brilliant, many, many thanks for that. I saw those ones but I wasn’t quite sure if they were the same. Amazon UK is perfect for me and looks like they be here in time for the 14th when I take delivery of my new Ateca.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

thanks again, really appreciate it.

I see in the customer pictures they have a "Made in" sticker on the packing but obscured which country. Interested to know. Assumed China.

Going through the Amazon reviews in English and Italian looking for hyper flash, due to Amazon often bringing reviews together across products only 21SMB ones should be considered. I see a Skoda Superb review of them for the 33SMB one says "no hyper flash, no resistor required because the car already has front LEDs" - that's probably why these work fine in the Ateca since the fronts are LED indicators so the circuitry is already present in the car to suppress hyper flash. I didn't get any Canbus errors and they don't hyper flash in the Vanssi branded ones.

These will be the same as the 21 SMB Vanssi although unlike the image they use in the advert the words Vanssi don't appear on the SMB panels in the photos users have posted in the reviews but construction is identical. It's all branding as those 45 SMB reversing lights are sold under a different name in the UK to Europe.

Think you'll be fine. Report back how it goes. I'll have a look at the tail end of the current Atecas to see which are totally 100% full led these days. Perhaps you now have to have a Cupra these days for that :).

Last edited:

ChrisWXM

Sep 25, 2019
North East Wales, UK
From what I am reading on the other forum the indicators and reverse are still tungsten. I’ve already got the reversing ones following your recommendation on the other thread and I’ve just ordered the indicators that you linked earlier. Car is here on 14th and will fit them on the Friday, 15th. Bulbs were arrive tomorrow as I have prime.

Again, many thanks for your help and I will keep the thread updated.

vectra

Sep 3, 2011
Been checking, it seems that front LED fogs were introduced to the spec of the Xcellence and FR 2018, otherwise the rear light configuration for the specific models stayed the same, as much as I can tell.
Yes,
I have front LED fogs,
But rear indicator and reverse are normal bulbs.

ChrisWXM

Sep 25, 2019
North East Wales, UK
Bulbs have arrived. As you can see the Vanssi logo is missing. Won’t know if they are OK until the 15th.

Base looks a little drunk too lol.

Attachments

• E1850911-28FC-425D-B1A8-F3B86EE527A4.jpeg
    E1850911-28FC-425D-B1A8-F3B86EE527A4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 335

Tell

Staff member
Pretty sure they are identical. The branding is left off. Amazenar is registered in China and they used Vanssi images on their website. The Vanssi products you see are old stock I reckon. I do have a spare pair of Vanssi ones just in case the originals broke. There is an Arona I've said needs them.... toying with ordering the Amazenar ones :). Needs the high intensity reversing light as well, I could give one of my spares - ordered two sets just in case likewise. Although in the Aronas case just one reversing light.

Last edited:

ChrisWXM

Sep 25, 2019
North East Wales, UK
I agreed, I’m sure they are the same too. Thanks for the offer although I will see how things go first. I’ve now got the reversing lights and indicators both as recommended by yourself and I am confident they will work without any issues.

I see you live in Wales, same as me ;)

ChrisWXM

Sep 25, 2019
North East Wales, UK
I have bad news.

Just checked with the garage to make sure the car will be here for the 14th and it’s held up at the port due to “logistical issues”.

Looks like it’s going to be the week after now :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
This is the normal :). I tracked mine coming over phoning up Seat Customer Services with the order number. It gets to the point when it's in the port in the UK where it's handed over to the dealer to order the transporter. That might be where you are at getting the transporter booked although it might be Seat checks in the port before it's handed over, although at one point it was said they had switched these checks over into Europe. The dealer can look up the progress although you can hassle Seat Customer Services rather than the dealer. Mine at that stage said only one of their staff knew the system so I just phoned up direct and I didn't trust their speel. Chain dealer or privately owned ?. Gave my dealer Sat nav / poi / firmware tutorial today ;).

I note what you said about the bulb in the mount. As long as it's in the focal plane of the reflectors I don't think it would make much difference. Reckon you'll be updating the maps soon after since they ship with old maps. The work around method.

Tell

Staff member
They are the ones in post #4 the ones I'm recommending which get sold under that branding these days :). Nice and bright. I was thinking that the other day as someone was chasing me off the bumper as I was about to turn left. Thought if you can't see these....

Reactions: Mihai A.
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members