1.5 tsi reliability

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
It still uses fuel when coasting down a hill..... If it didn't the engine would stall and the car would come to a quick stop due to the cylinder compression.
Nope. All injected petrol engines have a fuel cut on overrun. No fuel, nada, niente, zero. And if the weight of the car on a downhill stretch is sufficient, it will drive the fuelless engine as long as you like.

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
Nope. All injected petrol engines have a fuel cut on overrun. No fuel, nada, niente, zero. And if the weight of the car on a downhill stretch is sufficient, it will drive the fuelless engine as long as you like.
fraid not matey

Nov 4, 2019
We've had our 69 plate Leon 1.5tsi EvO for 3 weeks now. All I can say is so far no kangarooing and smooth idle. Also. It's averaging 52mpg as opposed to our 67 Ibiza 1.0 tsi 115 which was only managing 48mpg. Overall we are impressed the engine is very quiet and silky smooth.

Reactions: Leonfr140

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
We've had our 69 plate Leon 1.5tsi EvO for 3 weeks now. All I can say is so far no kangarooing and smooth idle. Also. It's averaging 52mpg as opposed to our 67 Ibiza 1.0 tsi 115 which was only managing 48mpg. Overall we are impressed the engine is very quiet and silky smooth.

That’s good to know. Hopefully your vehicle has the latest software modification referred to in this thread - just waiting for my A3 to have this software modification:

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/maybe-an-end-in-sight-for-kangaroo-jerking.457230/

Jun 18, 2019

Same here, 69 plate, FR trim, mystery blue, also no kangarooing or any other issue. Lovely engine, maybe a bit slow as it's 130hp version but of course I was aware of that prior to purchase. Very happy with the engine and overall car.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
fraid not matey

Well there are certain conditions that must be met, but in general it is true, injecting is disabled on the overrun, and has been for many many years for many manufacturers, one way to check is to check the instantaneous MPG when on the overrun with a heated up engine and engine revs over roughly 2000rpm.

Reactions: mty12345

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
Same here, 69 plate, FR trim, mystery blue, also no kangarooing or any other issue. Lovely engine, maybe a bit slow as it's 130hp version but of course I was aware of that prior to purchase. Very happy with the engine and overall car.
Same here (19 plate magnetic grey FR). :coolthumb

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
My 19 plate 1.5tsi 150 Evo DSG auto with 1200 miles on the clock is absolutely smooth under all conditions and returns low to mid 50's mpg.

Interestingly the 66 plate 1.2tsi 110 (cambelt engine) manual I had previously did hesitate from stationary in first gear and did it from new.

Tester01

Oct 24, 2022
My 19 plate 1.5tsi 150 Evo DSG auto with 1200 miles on the clock is absolutely smooth under all conditions and returns low to mid 50's mpg.

Interestingly the 66 plate 1.2tsi 110 (cambelt engine) manual I had previously did hesitate from stationary in first gear and did it from new.
Im reading this like how...

Same model as you with the kangaroo issue and most I've ever got is 34ish MPG even with most of it on the motorway.

Thinking my engines a Dud.

Had the software update but trying to go down rejection route as clearly theres something up with my car.

Anyone know why Im getting such poor fuel economy?

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Im reading this like how...

Same model as you with the kangaroo issue and most I've ever got is 34ish MPG even with most of it on the motorway.

Thinking my engines a Dud.

Had the software update but trying to go down rejection route as clearly theres something up with my car.

Anyone know why Im getting such poor fuel economy?
😂🤣 my remapped 1.8tsi 253hp does 45mpg on motorway. I think you deffo have a problem or are you driving at 90mph on motorway 😁

Reactions: Tester01

Tester01

Oct 24, 2022
😂🤣 my remapped 1.8tsi 253hp does 45mpg on motorway. I think you deffo have a problem or are you driving at 90mph on motorway 😁
Haha no I've actively tried to drive normally and not be a boy racer, for the sake of trying to get good fuel economy.
And doesn't make much difference.

Dont understand what it could be, had diagnostics with Seat for the kangaroo issue with the 1.5 Evo.
Only thing they did was the update, which didnt help the juddering, so is going back to investigate the issue further.
I did mention the fuel stuff to them when I first took it and apparently normal will mention again.

I'm seeing people online with cupras getting better and more consistent mpg than me.

Its annoying as definitely agree theres something wrong with the car, but looking online I have no where to start to figure it out.

I know some call it snake oil but threw in a full bottle of redex system cleaner just for good measure and its cheap didnt do much lol - not that I was expecting it too.

Unsure whether its the fuel injectors, filter, air filter not a clue Im not a mechanic lol
I have OBD11 and no fault codes are flagging up - unsure if there was an issue with them would it flag it up?

Any idea what could be causing it?

Last edited:

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
13k miles and three and a half years old still running fine. I have seen 65 mpg come up on a long journey mainly at 50 mph through M27 smart motorway roadworks very happy with it !

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Haha no I've actively tried to drive normally and not be a boy racer, for the sake of trying to get good fuel economy.
And doesn't make much difference.

Dont understand what it could be, had diagnostics with Seat for the kangaroo issue with the 1.5 Evo.
Only thing they did was the update, which didnt help the juddering, so is going back to investigate the issue further.
I did mention the fuel stuff to them when I first took it and apparently normal will mention again.

I'm seeing people online with cupras getting better and more consistent mpg than me.

Its annoying as definitely agree theres something wrong with the car, but looking online I have no where to start to figure it out.

I know some call it snake oil but threw in a full bottle of redex system cleaner just for good measure and its cheap didnt do much lol - not that I was expecting it too.

Unsure whether its the fuel injectors, filter, air filter not a clue Im not a mechanic lol
I have OBD11 and no fault codes are flagging up - unsure if there was an issue with them would it flag it up?

Any idea what could be causing it?
Mine was pants too. Depends entirely how it's driven. Those at 50/60mpg are driving at 60mph in lane 1 free wheeling it.

I think on the mway i used to get like 45mpg at best [70-80mph].

Long term average was 36mpg

Its a small engine so it's puffing away. Small engine = works harder. False economy

Reactions: mty12345

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Mine was pants too. Depends entirely how it's driven. Those at 50/60mpg are driving at 60mph in lane 1 free wheeling it.

I think on the mway i used to get like 45mpg at best [70-80mph].

Long term average was 36mpg

Its a small engine so it's puffing away. Small engine = works harder. False economy
Yes, Turbo's are not magic!
They enable smaller capacity engines to flow more air and make more power/torque - BUT at the expense of efficiency. Higher Brake-specific fuel consumption BSFC.
Smaller capacity engines CAN be more efficient but ONLY at lower engine loads.
So the take away - to get good MPG out of modern 'downsized' turbo'd petrol engines try to drive avoiding the turbo and with the ACT try to enable the cylinder de-activation.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Really do wonder what’s up with mine can only dream of getting anywhere near that on my FR.
How would you describe your driving style? I know it's difficult to be subjective - as everyone's opinion of 'gentle' will vary!
What's your typical driving cycle like? miles driven/roads/location?

I would probably do a little test - drive down the motorway (pick a flattish section on a none windy day) re-set your MPG, and set your cruise at 55-60mph (lorry speed!) - and see what your mpg is like over 20 miles?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.