2019 Cupra door leak

chris c

Jun 3, 2010
Does anybody else have this? I have a small leak from the top of the driver's door. The passenger door isn't leaking but water does seem to be sitting on the inner part of the seal.

I guess it will be going back to the dealer but I'll be surprised if my car is the only one affected. It would be good to know if there is a common issue before I take it in (or if it's something simple I can fix)

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I can’t recall reading about this being a common issue on the forum. With such a new car, it’s not going to be due to a perished door seal, so I’d suggest it’s either;
  • the door seal around the window is faulty / out of shape so doesn’t make a tight seal with the A pillar / roof
or
  • the door alignment is slightly out and needs adjusting.
If it’s a faulty seal or misaligned door, then it looks like a trip to the dealer will be necessary.

chris c

Jun 3, 2010
Thanks, I think you're right as I can't see anything about this anywhere. I'll book it in.

Ky174

May 31, 2018
Does anybody else have this? I have a small leak from the top of the driver's door. The passenger door isn't leaking but water does seem to be sitting on the inner part of the seal.

I guess it will be going back to the dealer but I'll be surprised if my car is the only one affected. It would be good to know if there is a common issue before I take it in (or if it's something simple I can fix)

I have this issue with the passenger side rear door of mine. It is going back to the dealer to be looked at tomorrow so hopefully they will find out what is causing it. Mine appears to be the door seal.

sumogtr

Jul 24, 2018
Watford
My Cupra ST MY19 driver's door has this - the inner seal always appears damp but no water in the cabin as far as I can tell.

Please post back when you feedback from the dealer.

Ky174

May 31, 2018
My Cupra ST MY19 driver's door has this - the inner seal always appears damp but no water in the cabin as far as I can tell.

Please post back when you feedback from the dealer.

I spoke to the dealers yesterday after them having my car for 2 days to investigate, they alarmingly asked me if the car had been involved in an accident or taken to another garage because it appears the door has been taken off and put back on at some point (I bought the car as an ex demo from them a few months ago and it has only been used by one of their employees before).

They are waiting to hear back regarding warranty claim and said they would be in touch with me when they have.

penyfai

Feb 4, 2018
they alarmingly asked me if the car had been involved in an accident

That's a worrying update from the dealer...

I used to have this problem with my drivers door when I first had my Cupra ST MY19. Even had a few drips of water fall on my arm when driving. Seemed to resolve itself after a few weeks.I put it down to the seal not being aligned and regular use seemed to put it back in to shape.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I spoke to the dealers yesterday after them having my car for 2 days to investigate, they alarmingly asked me if the car had been involved in an accident or taken to another garage because it appears the door has been taken off and put back on at some point (I bought the car as an ex demo from them a few months ago and it has only been used by one of their employees before).

They are waiting to hear back regarding warranty claim and said they would be in touch with me when they have.
They tried to tell me something similar with a manufacturing defect on one of my wheels. They claimed it had been refurbed by either me or the selling dealership despite being brand new and clearly a defect from the manufacturing process. In the end I got it replaced without needing it checked by SEAT UK warranty as I refused to be without a car while they sent it away. Got SEAT Global involved and they sorted the dealership out.

Ky174

May 31, 2018
They tried to tell me something similar with a manufacturing defect on one of my wheels. They claimed it had been refurbed by either me or the selling dealership despite being brand new and clearly a defect from the manufacturing process. In the end I got it replaced without needing it checked by SEAT UK warranty as I refused to be without a car while they sent it away. Got SEAT Global involved and they sorted the dealership out.

I finally managed to find someone helpful at the dealership today and seem to have got somewhere! They said that one of the bolts for the door was different to what was on the other side and this was pushing the door our and causing the water leak.
He has just emailed me to let me know that they have replaced the bolt, resealed the door and replaced the speaker that was damaged from the water. They want to do a final water test tomorrow to check all is okay and then I should hopefully have the car back!

Reactions: penyfai and Kirky

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
I finally managed to find someone helpful at the dealership today and seem to have got somewhere! They said that one of the bolts for the door was different to what was on the other side and this was pushing the door our and causing the water leak.
He has just emailed me to let me know that they have replaced the bolt, resealed the door and replaced the speaker that was damaged from the water. They want to do a final water test tomorrow to check all is okay and then I should hopefully have the car back!
They should stop jumping to these strange conclusions and just investigate in the first place. Glad you've got it sorted.

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
Our Leon ST is a little over 3 months old and the seals on all 4 doors seem to let rain through.... The "felt" is visibly wet in places and you can see little beads of water on the metal inside ledge. Some doors are worse than others, not long opened the rear passenger side and quite bit of water landed on the seat. Not had any actual leaks into the cabin whilst it been parked or driven but not great to open the doors and end-up with a soggy seat.

Not noticed it before, worth a call to the dealers or just put it down to the epic non-stop downpours of late?

Moh

Mar 18, 2019
Thanks, I think you're right as I can't see anything about this anywhere. I'll book it in.

Hi Chris,

I have had this issue with MY19 Cupra that got delivered in May. It has been back to the dealership 3 times regarding this issue.

The leak is a drip every minute or so, but it is continuous.

The first trip was diagnosing the leak, The second was to replace the drivers door seal. The third trip was after two months of the first trip, after the continuous leak. They advised that nothing was found on the third trip and sent me on my way, and was told to monitor it.

The leak still persists and need to book it back into the dealers. I have videos and pictures of the water ingress.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi Chris,

I have had this issue with MY19 Cupra that got delivered in May. It has been back to the dealership 3 times regarding this issue.

The leak is a drip every minute or so, but it is continuous.

The first trip was diagnosing the leak, The second was to replace the drivers door seal. The third trip was after two months of the first trip, after the continuous leak. They advised that nothing was found on the third trip and sent me on my way, and was told to monitor it.

The leak still persists and need to book it back into the dealers. I have videos and pictures of the water ingress.
In your position, if there’s another Seat dealership reasonably close to where you live, I’d try them, to see if they can sort it for you, rather than take multiple trips back to the original dealer and still have the leak. If replacing the door seal didn’t cure the leak, then that suggests your door is slightly misaligned and needs adjusting.

Moh

Mar 18, 2019
In your position, if there’s another Seat dealership reasonably close to where you live, I’d try them, to see if they can sort it for you, rather than take multiple trips back to the original dealer and still have the leak. If replacing the door seal didn’t cure the leak, then that suggests your door is slightly misaligned and needs adjusting.

I have the car under a personal lease so have raised it to the lease company to have it rectified, the nearest dealer is about 30+ miles from me, after the local dealer.

Ky174

May 31, 2018
Mine came back from the dealers after 4 days of them having it. They replaced the door seal and speaker that had been damaged from the leak.
Everything seemed fine but I went out to the car Monday morning to find more water had come in overnight. The water appears to be leaking past the seal so I think the door is not making contact with it properly. I have spoken with the dealer and they have told me they are ordering the parts needed to rectify the issues and will contact me to book it in again.

Mr_G

Oct 23, 2019
A worrying amount of you have this issue,on new cars to

As much as I love the car and especially the engine + transmission combo the actual fit and finish in some places is a little disappointing.

Been raining again all day and the doors look dry this time, starting to wonder if its possible for the wind to be forcing water in past the rubbers rather than just a simple leak.

lasnah

Jan 30, 2019
Tallinn, Estonia
I have the same problem with my 2019 FR. During a really wet day there's water coming in through the driver's door seal. Went to the dealer, they cleaned the seal and then it got better but couple of weeks later the water started to come through again.
I'll just wait until the spring because we've already hit sub zero temperatures and unless snow or shards of ice are going to leak through the seal, I have no possible way to monitor the situation...