Cupra R ABT issues

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
It’s also funny how 309bhp just happens to coincide with the power of a golf r and s3 pre GPF.... did vw bean counters get involved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
It’s also funny how 309bhp just happens to coincide with the power of a golf r and s3 pre GPF.... did vw bean counters get involved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most of the standard Cupra Mk3s at the Dyno day by PP a week or so a go, where getting around 308-310 on the Dyno. Only one standard car didn’t and that was a 4drive Carbon Edition which got 292. But the guys running the Dyno said that car was scrambling or snatching or something on the Dyno and needed a haldex service.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
That’s really disappointing to hear, I’m sure even more so for the owners :( hopefully the proper map makes things better :)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
So lets say SEAT UK do pay for a 3rd party remap. Then 2 months later gearbox or turbo blows...

They have already stated no warranty so your on your own then. I'd get a refund from SUK for the ABT module and walk away.

Reactions: Norbert

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’ve often wondered if getting a non ABT car would have been better and then gettting a JB4 fitted which are giving 360~370bhp in the 2019 GPF cars

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
That’s really disappointing to hear, I’m sure even more so for the owners :( hopefully the proper map makes things better :)

I thought my turbo elbow & hose plus panel filter had made my car feel faster.....especially top end.... it is probably just the fact it’s now blooming cold all the time and the ABT box is giving me full power !!!!!

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
The tests I've seen show around a half second improvement in 0 - 60 times. Unless you're in a very hot climate, or race your car often, that's OK by me.

Only one I’ve seen is Carwow who did 4.4 which is pretty good.
It also did standing 1/4 in 13.1 secs whereas their standard Golf R does it in 13.6 on that track.
So in isolated runs it seems to be ok.

What Jenko has found out is very useful though for those of us who were thinking or Dynos or track days i think it’s crucial information for owners.
I will do neither now with my car cos it’s not set up for them, unless you alter expectations.

Do wonder how much difference an intercooler will make though ????

JB4 PPF car got 340 on the Dynoday, no stage 1 PPF cars to compare too though.

Ok cool. A bloke on the Facebook group got 365 with his iirc on the most aggressive map whatever that is I can’t remember.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Do wonder how much difference an intercooler will make though ????
It depends on which temp sensor they are working from.
I'll order the ABT option on my next Cupra as long as it's under $NZ2k mainly because it carries a SEAT backed warranty. I'm not that keen on other systems unless I can get it custom mapped and that is starting to get expensive.
Besides, our climate doesn't regularly get hot enough to be a serious issue, and it certainly wouldn't in the UK. The only time I can think of is in heavy summer traffic, but you're unlikely to need 340 hp in that.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
I think the disappointment lies with the fact the figures are clearly not realistic. You pay the extra for the 375(?) bhp upgrade and they basically say it’s only attainable at certain conditions.

It should at least disclaim this during purchase. If it’s advertised as that power it should be realistically attainable or at least close to it at all conditions.

To have the upgrade and be running standard 290/300 power after it gets hot is just not right in my opinion....

Reactions: Jenko

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah but something wasn't right with that pull, it was on course to make 365-370 no problem!
Who says the pull was wrong, and not the JB4 not being able to cope? I'm not saying either way but can't blame the Dyno otherwise Racingline wouldn't want mine looking at.

Nora2004

Oct 15, 2017
Who says the pull was wrong, and not the JB4 not being able to cope? I'm not saying either way but can't blame the Dyno otherwise Racingline wouldn't want mine looking at.
I'm not saying it was a Dyno fault, but something went wrong, whether Dyno error or the car pulling boost or closing the throttle, but it wasn't right, just as the car was coming into peak boost and peak ignition advance it fell on its face! The JB4 can cope perfectly fine, mine just did 370 on Thursday! Lad in the Facebook page with a PPF car also made 370 with JB4!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm not saying it was a Dyno fault, but something went wrong, whether Dyno error or the car pulling boost or closing the throttle, but it wasn't right, just as the car was coming into peak boost and peak ignition advance it fell on its face! The JB4 can cope perfectly fine, mine just did 370 on Thursday! Lad in the Facebook page with a PPF car also made 370 with JB4!
Were any other cars run at the same time out of interest?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Slightly digressing off the ABT topic but I found the post on the Facebook group and a member got 375hp with JB4 when paired with an intercooler. He mentioned the intercooler gave him an extra 15hp, so stands it’s was at 360 prior to that.
Substantially more than an ABT and probably more consistent power now we know more about how the ABT pack works.

Would be a tough call for me If I was buying one of these now.

£500 for up to 350hp with an ABT box that worked sometimes. Warranty safe.

£400 for a solid 360hp that probably worked all the time with a JB4, and if installed correctly also warranty safe (once removed safely of course)

Anyway back to the ABT.
Does anyone know if the 370ps ABT packs for the pre GPF cars were ever dyno tested by anyone ??

I can’t believe the performance drop hasn’t been noticed before on these things !!!

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
I think the disappointment lies with the fact the figures are clearly not realistic. You pay the extra for the 375(?) bhp upgrade and they basically say it’s only attainable at certain conditions.

It should at least disclaim this during purchase. If it’s advertised as that power it should be realistically attainable or at least close to it at all conditions.

To have the upgrade and be running standard 290/300 power after it gets hot is just not right in my opinion....
Well, the standard car is capable of far more than 300hp, but that's what they give you. One of the reasons being that they are considering car durability. The car is not marketed as a track day special, if that's what you want, do it at your discretion with whatever upgrades you want without warranty protection..

Jenko

Sep 9, 2019
Well, the standard car is capable of far more than 300hp, but that's what they give you. One of the reasons being that they are considering car durability. The car is not marketed as a track day special, if that's what you want, do it at your discretion with whatever upgrades you want without warranty protection..
That’s all fine but they shouldn’t have given me a car with 300 I payed for the 345 so rightly or wrongly I expect the car to put out around 345, I wouldn’t have even cared if it was low 330s that would have been something.
all I wanted was to treat myself to a car that I’ve always wanted, that had something that makes it a bit special. And just annoyed when I find out it’s not doing what it’s suppose to.

Reactions: ray and Seastormer
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members