My mk2 woes continue....

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Hi all,

Some of you may have read my thread from a month or so back where I removed and cleaned my intake manifold and ports/valves in the quest of curing a misfire.

For those who didnt, my valves were all carboned up but this wasnt the cause, a blown head gasket was to blame.

I have since tried to use steel seal as a temporary fix until I can get the funds to fix properly. This has worked thankfully.

I now have a new issue, car is drinking its coolant like no tomorrow, everyday I do around 25 miles for work and everyday I put in around a litre of fluid.

At first I thought maybe air locks were working their way out of the system after it being pressurised from the cylinder. I read that my car will hold 8.4l of coolant, I have put way more than this into the system now so obviously a leak.

Car doesnt misfire anymore so I assume its not being burnt off in the pots. I can see no visible leaks anywhere with engine running but car stationary.

My friend suggest a leak in the egr cooler but I dont have excessive white smoke, only a bit when the engine is cold, once its warmed up nothing.

The water is not mixing with the oil as I have kept an eye on my oil level and its a consistant level.

Where is my coolant going??

One thing to note is when i remove the expansion tank cap after a good long drive there is zero pressure behind the cap, nothing. Normally I would expect some.

I am taking any and all suggestions as I am at a loss and dispairing of this cursed motor, nothing but trouble since I got it :(

Oh and to add insult to injury my lovely new LED sidelights went pop the other day :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
Sorry to hear the cars still be troublesome. Shot in the dark, bit is the coolant cap ok? If it's old week could be letting it out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Sorry to hear the cars still be troublesome. Shot in the dark, bit is the coolant cap ok? If it's old week could be letting it out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
Hmmmm i dont think so mate, before when the head gasket was blowing pressurising the system it seemed to hold it fine then. Good shout though

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
Hmmmm i dont think so mate, before when the head gasket was blowing pressurising the system it seemed to hold it fine then. Good shout though

You may have a leak around manifold ,this could be vaporizing coolant when under load.....but not leaking enough to do ticking over.... get someone to follow you and see if getting a little steam in exhaust gas....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: jonny87

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You've got a headgasket leak and your car is losing coolant??

I think you've answered your own question, the coolant is going because the headgasket is ******.

Reactions: Brimfull

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
You've got a headgasket leak and your car is losing coolant??

I think you've answered your own question, the coolant is going because the headgasket is ******.
I have fixed the head gasket problem temporarily with steel seal

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Steel seal isn't a guaranteed fix, and if you're still drinking water it indicates that it's not worked properly.

You'd have to be extremely unlucky for the car to have developed a big water leak right out of the blue, it's going to be the headgasket.

jonny87

Aug 2, 2019
Well I have just returned from the garage and the diagnosis was easy in the end, waterpump has let go :(

Although we cannot rule out water still entering the cylinders from the busted gasket it was clear that the majority (if not all) my water loss is via the pump.

Computer was not logging any misfires either so thats ok.

So there we have it, guess I am unlucky huh R3k1355?

One small piece of good news is that a compression test showed good, strong, consistent pressure across all four cylinders so at least I have a strong base on which to rebuild the top end on.

Taking the car off the road for now, too many faults and if its the bearings going in the water pump a failure theres mean bye bye engine.

Its gonna be an expensive christmas!!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.