Little annoying things about your Ibiza???

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
Have you noticed any trivial but annoying things that bug you about the design of your Ibiza?

Examples being finger prints on informant screen. Can't really be helped unless you remember to use your knuckles or wear gloves.
One thing I have noticed is the flat surface just below the boot lip is always puddles of water. When it is dry is always looks dirty.

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
Have you noticed any trivial but annoying things that bug you about the design of your Ibiza?

Examples being finger prints on informant screen. Can't really be helped unless you remember to use your knuckles or wear gloves.
One thing I have noticed is the flat surface just below the boot lip is always puddles of water. When it is dry is always looks dirty.

That flat surface is dirty, because rear window wiper swipes all the dirt from window to that area. Same on mine.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Keep a stylus in the car for screen operation if you can't stand your own fingerprints. Probably still get smudges, but their uniform roundness might not trigger OCD

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
Keep a stylus in the car for screen operation if you can't stand your own fingerprints. Probably still get smudges, but their uniform roundness might not trigger OCD

I think I solved the mystery of the fingerprints on the informant screen. They are not my prints? It is my Mrs with heavy duty hand cream on before she goes out in the car, Grrrrrrr! lol!

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
That flat surface is dirty, because rear window wiper swipes all the dirt from window to that area. Same on mine.

I never thought of the rear wiper playing a part in this? The surface is like a shelf, it is very flat. Also I think it may be more apparent on my car as I did make a mistake in choosing midnight black colour : ( I also live in a very rural area the roads do get quite mucky.

kwlw

Nov 22, 2019
I am not sure we are both talking about same place. This is how mine gets dirt spot (picture borrowed from Seat):

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
I was referring really to whole length of the flat surface where the boot lid lip is. It is a very flat surface like a shelf. Where your green line turn into right angle.

DigiMagic

Apr 14, 2017
I would like to be able to adjust the volume on the radio in more fine steps. Of course how loud I want it depends on the amount of road noise and loudness of a particular song, just sometimes I have to choose between setting the volume to either too loud or not loud enough, there is simply nothing between these two settings. Is this because I have the (cheaper) 5" radio, is the 8" better?

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
I would like to be able to adjust the volume on the radio in more fine steps. Of course how loud I want it depends on the amount of road noise and loudness of a particular song, just sometimes I have to choose between setting the volume to either too loud or not loud enough, there is simply nothing between these two settings. Is this because I have the (cheaper) 5" radio, is the 8" better?

Yes the big colour eight inch informant system is one of the best available to use. Even Fords new one is not as good.
The radio volume control is very slowly and notch less and very gradually progressive. Some people say the sound is not good unless you get the beats audio system. However still remember the appalling tinny sound of the early tape cassette recorders. In comparison well it's heavenly. Well really showed my age with that comment lol!

Reactions: DigiMagic

Jakki

Sep 4, 2018
When I open the back doors water leaks on the chairs.... oh and my breaks have always squealed!

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
When I open the back doors water leaks on the chairs.... oh and my breaks have always squealed!

Yes very good point, he back seats do take a soaking. Luckily it goes on the vinyl bit not the cloth or alcatara. Is this due to modern cars not having a rain water gutter so to speak.

This has not appeared too bad for me. I think I can live with it. As previous two cars where Ford Pumas, Every time you opened the hatchback. You would get Niagara falls into the boot. It really was a water feature of a design fault. Or to put a positive note on it something free from Ford lol!

Also water came in from the stupid cabin filter. Later though the floor when it rusted though. As they all did rot with age,

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Mine's a 2016 1.0 ST (estate) It has the 95hp 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine. With speed bumps almost everywhere and 20mph too I find it best to negotiate them in 2nd gear at virtually tickover revs then accelerate on to the next one and repeat. Low speed turbo lag is chronic. I live with it but would rather not have too. Out of town it's a very different story and the car drives very well.

When it's wet, if you open the tailgate it sheds water from the join between the screen and metal. If no wind is blowing it lands neatly in the drain channel around the tailgate, However even the slightest bit of wind makes sure it deluges into the boot itself. My old Cordoba estate did not do this!

I like being able to monitor oil temp, fuel consumption etc on the wee screen between the rev counter and speedo but I would rather just have an old style radio instead of that screen in the centre of the dash.

Oh, I do wish the rear seats folded properly flat like my old Cordoba used too. In fact if I could have just bought a nice new Cordoba that would have been fine for me! And another thing is, I really don't like those Bridgestone eco tyres. they're noisy and don't grip very well in the wet.

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
Mine's a 2016 1.0 ST (estate) It has the 95hp 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine. With speed bumps almost everywhere and 20mph too I find it best to negotiate them in 2nd gear at virtually tickover revs then accelerate on to the next one and repeat. Low speed turbo lag is chronic. I live with it but would rather not have too. Out of town it's a very different story and the car drives very well.

When it's wet, if you open the tailgate it sheds water from the join between the screen and metal. If no wind is blowing it lands neatly in the drain channel around the tailgate, However even the slightest bit of wind makes sure it deluges into the boot itself. My old Cordoba estate did not do this!

I like being able to monitor oil temp, fuel consumption etc on the wee screen between the rev counter and speedo but I would rather just have an old style radio instead of that screen in the centre of the dash.

Oh, I do wish the rear seats folded properly flat like my old Cordoba used too. In fact if I could have just bought a nice new Cordoba that would have been fine for me! And another thing is, I really don't like those Bridgestone eco tyres. they're noisy and don't grip very well in the wet.

Yes my car has quite a bit of turbo lag. There is talk of increasing the pressure in engines for fuel economy and emissions. Wonder how this will play out on engine life and reliability? Such as head gaskets?

I do like the info screen in the middle of the clocks. However one thing annoys me is when my hand hits the buttons on the steering wheel and changes it all. Grrrrrrrr!

I have a flat floor option in my Ibiza which makes back seats level. I was also very lucky with my tyres that came on the car. As a mate told me they came with crappy nylon death trap Hankooks. It turned out the car came with Pirelli P7
Cinturato Which I have found a good all round tyre. There is road noise however I think it is just the nature of the Ibiza from what I have read?

Reactions: Crossthreaded

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
One thing that seems to make breaks squeak and squeal. Is going to car valeting places. As they just blast the alloys with such high pressure water jets and loads of shampoo. It just washes any lube completely away, Does not take many visits to then find you have squealing brakes or worse a binding calliper.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Yes my car has quite a bit of turbo lag. There is talk of increasing the pressure in engines for fuel economy and emissions. Wonder how this will play out on engine life and reliability? Such as head gaskets?

I do like the info screen in the middle of the clocks. However one thing annoys me is when my hand hits the buttons on the steering wheel and changes it all. Grrrrrrrr!

I have a flat floor option in my Ibiza which makes back seats level. I was also very lucky with my tyres that came on the car. As a mate told me they came with crappy nylon death trap Hankooks. It turned out the car came with Pirelli P7
Cinturato Which I have found a good all round tyre. There is road noise however I think it is just the nature of the Ibiza from what I have read?
Whereas the Cordoba was built like a tank - not even that much rust at 19 years old and that old VE series 1.9 tdi, forerunner to the PD, would have gone on for ever - I'm really not viewing the Ibiza in the same terms. There have been many weight saving exercises undertaken on engine components (take a look at the small end of the con rods, looks too "shaved down" to me) and I don't like the reduced bearing sizes on the bottom end either. There's so much complication (variable flow oil pump, two water pumps - the belt on the main water pump back of cylinder head looks pretty flimsy. I'll be having that changed when the cam belt is done - electric vacuum pump, etc, etc. I also don't have much faith in the gearbox which sounds like a bag of old nails to me - I know, they all sound like that.

Then there's the Low Speed Pre ignition thing which, apparently, plagues all direct injection engines to some extent. I believe ours are one of the better designs in this respect. The pre ignition problem can be addressed to some extent by running high octane fuel (Shell do a highly acclaimed version, but why produce a "cooking runabout" that needs "supercar expensive" fuel?) Then you need to think about induction carbon fouling and the likelihood of injector nozzle fouling (the injectors are, I believe, much more expensive than the old port mounted type and live in a much more hostile environment inside the cylinders). Better stop at that before I depress myself too much!

I have the same problem as you with the steering wheel buttons and especially that little scrolling wheel. I like to monitor oil temperature until it warms up to around 80 degrees then I watch coolant temperature most of the time. Quite often I find the display is not even showing this parameter group!

I think you are absolutely right about the inherent road noise. The Cordoba, despite it's "old school" diesel, was much quieter. I suspect the suspension bushes, including strut top mounts, are at the root of the problem and so not easily rectified. Compared to the Cordoba, the Ibiza lurches and crashes it's way over the road surface and if you fail to avoid one of the many potholes you are subject to a terrific crashing noise and the whole car shakes in a way the Cordoba never did. The front tyres, now a few months short of 4 years old, are showing quite a bit of wear and minor cracking in the grooves, good, I'll soon have an excuse to change them for something more to my liking.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Whereas the Cordoba was built like a tank - not even that much rust at 19 years old and that old VE series 1.9 tdi, forerunner to the PD, would have gone on for ever - I'm really not viewing the Ibiza in the same terms. There have been many weight saving exercises undertaken on engine components (take a look at the small end of the con rods, looks too "shaved down" to me) and I don't like the reduced bearing sizes on the bottom end either. There's so much complication (variable flow oil pump, two water pumps - the belt on the main water pump back of cylinder head looks pretty flimsy. I'll be having that changed when the cam belt is done - electric vacuum pump, etc, etc. I also don't have much faith in the gearbox which sounds like a bag of old nails to me - I know, they all sound like that.

Then there's the Low Speed Pre ignition thing which, apparently, plagues all direct injection engines to some extent. I believe ours are one of the better designs in this respect. The pre ignition problem can be addressed to some extent by running high octane fuel (Shell do a highly acclaimed version, but why produce a "cooking runabout" that needs "supercar expensive" fuel?) Then you need to think about induction carbon fouling and the likelihood of injector nozzle fouling (the injectors are, I believe, much more expensive than the old port mounted type and live in a much more hostile environment inside the cylinders). Better stop at that before I depress myself too much!

I have the same problem as you with the steering wheel buttons and especially that little scrolling wheel. I like to monitor oil temperature until it warms up to around 80 degrees then I watch coolant temperature most of the time. Quite often I find the display is not even showing this parameter group!

I think you are absolutely right about the inherent road noise. The Cordoba, despite it's "old school" diesel, was much quieter. I suspect the suspension bushes, including strut top mounts, are at the root of the problem and so not easily rectified. Compared to the Cordoba, the Ibiza lurches and crashes it's way over the road surface and if you fail to avoid one of the many potholes you are subject to a terrific crashing noise and the whole car shakes in a way the Cordoba never did. The front tyres, now a few months short of 4 years old, are showing quite a bit of wear and minor cracking in the grooves, good, I'll soon have an excuse to change them for something more to my liking.
4 year old tyres. On a Mk 6 that's only been on sale 2 years? You may be on the wrong forum?

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
4 year old tyres. On a Mk 6 that's only been on sale 2 years? You may be on the wrong forum?
Camelspyyder Yes well spotted. Crossthreded is exactly that crossthreaded. lol! This forum thread is for the Seat Ibiza Mk6 2017 onwards.

Very interesting information and observations raised by crossthreded. Well written I did very much enjoy reading it.

Crossthreaded

Apr 16, 2019
Well spotted indeed sir! You are quite right, my car is a mk5 (2016 to be exact). I posted in this thread because of the subject matter - the little things that annoy me - rather than the specific model year. Apologies to all, no intent to deceive I assure you.

I like your comment about me being indeed crossthreaded Sonicboom, it did give me a wee chuckle! thanks.

Pepper28

Jun 18, 2018
I can hear the relay click of my windscreen wipers. coming from the driver door.
I was told this is normal, its very irritating, do others hear it too? It's not when the wipers are on constantly, but any speed where they're wiping and there is a brief pause between sweeps.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sonicboom

Dec 3, 2019
Good point Pepper28. Yes it is like a single loud tick of a clock. In the way it is equally spaced, you are expecting and anticipating it. I think the relay is somewhere underneath the light dial selector switch at the bottom of the dashboard. You are right in saying, it is much more noticeable on intermittent wipe mode. Yes this is normal. Everybody is different, It does not annoy me that much. I have put it down to the unique quirk and adds character to the car lol! Which many cars seem to lack these days.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise