Kitchen knife sharpening

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Don’t use a rod but do have a vee wheel stone that I run them through before using - think I got it from IKEA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Don’t use a rod but do have a vee wheel stone that I run them through before using - think I got it from IKEA

Living the dream haha thanks for some info I'll give it a look into later

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
By the time you've spent days and days grinding these edges, your large knife will look like this:
s-l300.jpg

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
How much do you charge per knife haha did you do the classic stand back and admire your workmanship?

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hell yeah, even tried the paper slicing & forearm hair trimming .
Spent about 2mins per side with each stone (150/400/800/1500/2000/3000) then finished with my leather belt as a strop.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
150 grit must be like a brick lol how much did that cost all in do you think minus the leather strap...

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
About £13 all in
Old decking board off-cut £0
Length of tubing from shed £0
Screws/dowels/washers from shed £0
Old picture frame bracket £0
Old file handle from shed £0
Spring from old broken toy £0
Couple of plastic bolt head covers £0
9x17x5 sealed bearing £3.80
Honing whetstones (£8.99)

Total man hours 3.45 (with coffee breaks)

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
About £13 all in
Old decking board off-cut £0
Length of tubing from shed £0
Screws/dowels/washers from shed £0
Old picture frame bracket £0
Old file handle from shed £0
Spring from old broken toy £0
Couple of plastic bolt head covers £0
9x17x5 sealed bearing £3.80
Honing whetstones (£8.99)

Total man hours 3.45 (with coffee breaks)

Quick question as I looked at pre made versions of your setup which don't look as sturdy lol

Using this method am I right in saying that 2 thirds of the Whetstone don't get used as it swings past the same bit (for the shop made ones anyway), I see on you have a realise so you can move the bar down... Is that for this purpose? I've seen a few with 120 to 800 and then I have the 1000 and 4000 grit on top of that.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
It all depends on how quick or slow you stroke across the blade edge (ooo er!!!)
You can use multiple strokes of the whole whetstone along the blade edge, depending on the length of knife.
I’ve marked the vertical tube with 17, 20 & 30 degrees so it’s easy to move to different angles. I use 17 degrees for kitchen knives as this seem to be the most used, although 20 degrees is another common.
Hmmm, I can’t seem to add a video of me using it just to show all what it looks like

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
It all depends on how quick or slow you stroke across the blade edge (ooo er!!!)
You can use multiple strokes of the whole whetstone along the blade edge, depending on the length of knife.
I’ve marked the vertical tube with 17, 20 & 30 degrees so it’s easy to move to different angles. I use 17 degrees for kitchen knives as this seem to be the most used, although 20 degrees is another common.
Hmmm, I can’t seem to add a video of me using it just to show all what it looks like

I get it, I've got some long ish blades which may test the arm on this sort of thing...

I assume this is the same thing you made but for lazy people that don't have all the parts in the house lol how did you go about measuring the angles etc you got a laser guide as they don't seem to be set... This setup looks alot easier than manual stoning I must say, I just think mine are so dull that it's going to take me a while to get them back lol

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/184022729123

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
As for measuring the angles, I used my iPhone app ‘measure’ and used the level setting then just sat it on the stone and moved the handle tube up until required angle

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Yep there’s an app for everything!!!!!
I pre soaked the stones in the plastic tub I now keep them in (container from Saturdays fried rice dish ), I kept dripping water on them each time I swapped knife over.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Yep there’s an app for everything!!!!!
I pre soaked the stones in the plastic tub I now keep them in (container from Saturdays fried rice dish ), I kept dripping water on them each time I swapped knife over.

Super! Now I know what it does and how I can find a version of it that will last without breaking haha

How much pressure do you place when applying the stones to the blade on a scale of 0 is just gliding the stone with no pressure and 10 being full pressure almost leaning on it lol

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
To start with I was just gliding the 150 stone so about 1 - 2 but as I got used to it I would say I now use about 5 for each stone.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
To start with I was just gliding the 150 stone so about 1 - 2 but as I got used to it I would say I now use about 5 for each stone.

Thanks very much for your help. I'll see what I can get hold of.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise