Please turn on headlights

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
I seriously struggle to see the issue with having headlights on? The energy consumption you refer to, particularly with LEDs, isn't even worth worrying about. Mine's always in auto, and at the highest sensitivity, I prefer to be seen and if anything, the LED headlights look great when they're on, what's the issue?

In my opinion, Seat have the best set up with lights I've seen so far:
1. Front and rear DRLs
2. Auto lights
3. A warning which comes on telling you to turn on your headlights if you're stupid enough to turn off the auto function

Reactions: LR231998

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
I seriously struggle to see the issue with having headlights on? The energy consumption you refer to, particularly with LEDs, isn't even worth worrying about. Mine's always in auto, and at the highest sensitivity, I prefer to be seen and if anything, the LED headlights look great when they're on, what's the issue?

In my opinion, Seat have the best set up with lights I've seen so far:
1. Front and rear DRLs
2. Auto lights
3. A warning which comes on telling you to turn on your headlights if you're stupid enough to turn off the auto function

the only thing stupid is the fact they stay on when they shouldn't, my old Octavia never had this issue, then again that was Simply Clever not simply stupid like me!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
the only thing stupid is the fact they stay on when they shouldn't, my old Octavia never had this issue, then again that was Simply Clever not simply stupid like me!
Take it to the dealer so they can have a laugh.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk

lol too funny. Ridiculous logic. I don’t rely on every sensor and automatic function that my car has. I have auto wipers on also... sometimes it doesn’t clear the screen when i can’t see properly... I don’t just blindly drive on with poor visibility, I override the system and assume control.

I have encountered scenarios where auto lights come on when I deem unnecessary, for example broad daylight on a sunny day.
The issue for me is not about power consumption its about being the only car on the road at the time with headlights on and the fact that my Infotainment and virtual cockpit screens will switch to night mode and go to dark scheme, which I don’t like in broad daylight.

On rare occasions (and I’m only talking about a handful of times on the after 7mths of owning the car) that I deem to have made better assessment with my MK1 eyeball and 40yrs of life experience of the lighting conditions than a cheap electronic sensor, I again assume control and flick the switch to off.

I don’t want a warning screen then to take over half my virtual cockpit telling me to switch on main beam because I’m not a brain dead idiot.

It will get switched back to auto when appropriate.

Reactions: LR231998 and Butty

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
It does seem that Seat has made the system very sensitive, I’ve had the lights come on when a Golf or similar around me does not(checked using a friends Golf with lights on auto), is it because Spain tends to be sunny more of the time? Sell more Seats and we will be in the majority.

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
lol too funny. Ridiculous logic. I don’t rely on every sensor and automatic function that my car has. I have auto wipers on also... sometimes it doesn’t clear the screen when i can’t see properly... I don’t just blindly drive on with poor visibility, I override the system and assume control.

I have encountered scenarios where auto lights come on when I deem unnecessary, for example broad daylight on a sunny day.
The issue for me is not about power consumption its about being the only car on the road at the time with headlights on and the fact that my Infotainment and virtual cockpit screens will switch to night mode and go to dark scheme, which I don’t like in broad daylight.

On rare occasions (and I’m only talking about a handful of times on the after 7mths of owning the car) that I deem to have made better assessment with my MK1 eyeball and 40yrs of life experience of the lighting conditions than a cheap electronic sensor, I again assume control and flick the switch to off.

I don’t want a warning screen then to take over half my virtual cockpit telling me to switch on main beam because I’m not a brain dead idiot.

This, but apparently I'm stupid because I don't want to drive around all day with headlights on! I like to be in control not some dumb computer lol.

I will check the sensor after work today to see if it is that, was just a small annoyance and didn't expect to get blasted from what I thought was a helpful community..

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
To me i am in auto 100% of the time and if the lights come on “early” im not going to be losing any amount of sleep over it. I am not that tight that i am worried about the added fuel cost of an led headlight running

Reactions: daniel_ley

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Auto wipers do mess up now and again 90% of the time they are fine. My first car to have auto wipers was in 2000 on an old peugeot 306.

auto lights however are a no brainer
Have to admit on the 280, I turned the auto wipers off and used them to adjust the intermittent setting. On the 300 it does seem better now i understand auto needs turning off and on again to work after engine has been turned off.

Butty

Sep 7, 2018
Only time I override auto lights is in fog, which seems to confuse many light systems out there.

Reactions: LR231998

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley

Interesting approach.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.