Limo mode tried everything

SeatLeon5548

Dec 21, 2017
I own a MK1 leon 90 evertime I rag it to 4k rpm in 4th gear is goes into limp mode, the turbo is 100% it's mapped but the engine I had in it previously didn't go into limp mode it boiled and swapped a new one, all the vacuums are ok, no boost leaks anywhere injector wire 3 is spliced but tested and works, could it be the actuator? Although it's holding boost fine I 3rd to redline. Another Symptom when booting in an hour ago in 3rd gear is started spluttering and some white smoke came out and the car stalled I let it roll on and it fired up again.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Could be a sticky actuator. I'd give the cast iron side of the turbo a Mr Muscle treatment (give it a google if unsure) and while it's doing it's thing get underneath and give the actuator lever a good blast of wd40 and push it back and forth a few times (repeat this every 10 mins or so while the Mr Muscle is soaking for an hour). Sorted my TDi out with similar problem. You should feel the resistance on the actuator arm become a lot less.

Reactions: SeatLeon5548

SeatLeon5548

Dec 21, 2017
Could be a sticky actuator. I'd give the cast iron side of the turbo a Mr Muscle treatment (give it a google if unsure) and while it's doing it's thing get underneath and give the actuator lever a good blast of wd40 and push it back and forth a few times (repeat this every 10 mins or so while the Mr Muscle is soaking for an hour). Sorted my TDi out with similar problem. You should feel the resistance on the actuator arm become a lot less.

I sprayed wd40 and Mr muscle and has made no difference car is still doing the same thing, could it be a faulty fuel pump not the one in the tank the timing driven one, maybe it hasn't got enough power? Automatically it was my first thought is there any upgrade options?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I sprayed wd40 and Mr muscle and has made no difference car is still doing the same thing, could it be a faulty fuel pump not the one in the tank the timing driven one, maybe it hasn't got enough power? Automatically it was my first thought is there any upgrade options?

Have you scanned it for fault codes with VCDS? If it's going into limp mode then there should be one. Without a fault code you're just shooting in the dark.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Sticking Turbo Vanes, might be able to clean as said above or maybe new turbo time

you can plot the requested mbar boost pressure on vcds and compare it to the actual achieved mbar boost pressure and see what it is doing. Im going back a lot of years, maybe 10 here so my memory is a bit fuzzy. obviously if you do that and the actual mbar boost pressure is higher than the requested then you have a turbo vane / actuator setup issue

Last edited:

SeatLeon5548

Dec 21, 2017
Hopefully that fixes it, although it feels like a fueling problem, the turbo on the car was bought recently the turbo was put on the old engine with the same issue then transferred to the new engine, going to check the tank tomorrow and find out if there's any leafs or dirt in it maybe even water

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Hopefully that fixes it, although it feels like a fueling problem, the turbo on the car was bought recently the turbo was put on the old engine with the same issue then transferred to the new engine, going to check the tank tomorrow and find out if there's any leafs or dirt in it maybe even water
Actuator arm length issue you need to plot the boost request / actual on VCDS. That is the only way to fix it, other than that you are pissing in the wind my friend

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise