Cupra 300 ST - Stolen and destroyed

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I thought that we paid people to come up with a solution that worked - we are still waiting.

Edit:- this posting refers to SRGTD's posting, I took too long writing it up for it to be the next post!

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Gutted for the op, it's a horrid thing to happen and all too common these days.

The law needs changing and make this a more serious offence but even then probably not a deterrent. Makes you wonder how folk with RS Audi and other high performance stuff keep hold of them, I guess you need to be loaded and have a huge garage to hide them in.

robby71

Sep 3, 2005
Yorkshire, UK
So sorry to hear this, it sounds awful.

sorry to ask but what happens when this happens, when your is car stolen or burnt ?
I see a lot of posts online in regards to cars been stolen and set on fire but what actually happens with funds ect...? Do you claim through your insurance and get every penny to fund another or what actually happens, what’s the first protocol?

You'd have to claim on your insurance for theft and hope the payout is sensible which usually is a lot less than you paid for the car (they go by a book guide), if they find out you had undeclared mods on the car they'd try and get out of paying.
The sensible thing when buying a new car is to take out GAP protection which pays the shortfall in difference between what the insurance pay out and what you paid for the car or what it'll cost for a replacement. I use insurethegap which cost me around £70 for 3 years cover, most dealers charge around £400

Reactions: Wilkesy

Marko70

Jul 6, 2019
Gutted for the op, it's a horrid thing to happen and all too common these days.

The law needs changing and make this a more serious offence but even then probably not a deterrent. Makes you wonder how folk with RS Audi and other high performance stuff keep hold of them, I guess you need to be loaded and have a huge garage to hide them in.

well, most people that have a garage would rather fill it with crap they can't be bothered to take to skip than put a 30k car in. there is no way in hell I would ever park my car outside, it would get vandalised at the very least.. scum just keep on breeding these days, it's not a 100% guarantee but "what the eye can't see...."

sorry for your loss OP

Fer16v

Feb 2, 2020
Spain
Well, first at all, my support to the OP. What i really HATE on this story -besides the car theft- is the way he ends thinking not owning an performance model anymore. That is simply horrible and cracks our daily wellness. From all of us. And it's a problem from governments who doesn't allow our policemen to act properly and overwhelming. A huge security problem. It's not much better in my country (Spain), and the main problem is when offenders doesn't fear the results of their acts. I love Uk, but it saddens me when i see LOT of videos of people (much of them in scooters) stealing other bikes, goods from inside of vans, cars, shops....in the fuckin' daylight!!! If police lose all of their authority, we are simply lost in terms of security as a society model...

Is it normal that if offenders don't have a proper sentence, they will keep acting like criminals. And on and on and on...

This is a sad post. Have a nice sunday guys....

Reactions: mty12345

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
well, most people that have a garage would rather fill it with crap they can't be bothered to take to skip than put a 30k car in. there is no way in hell I would ever park my car outside
@Marko70; That’s my way of thinking too. I have a garden shed to keep items in like my £100 lawnmower or items waiting to be taken to the local tip, rather than fill the garage with them, and then be forced to leave my car on the driveway in full view of anyone looking for a free ride.

I live in a 1980’s house with a 1980’s sized garage. Unfortunately for many who live near me, because the majority of cars have ‘grown’ in size over the years with each new model launch, or the owners have too many cars to garage them all, they get left outside. Fortunately, my car’s small enough to fit in the garage, so it gets parked in there whenever I don’t need to use it. Thinking about it, I’m pretty certain I’m the only person in my street who does actually use their garage for its intended purpose - to keep the car in. It has benefits in the winter too - no early morning ice scraping necessary!

One of the criteria when I consider a new car is ‘will it fit in the garage?’ Some might say I’m limiting my choice of which car I buy, but as I don’t need a large car, and I feel more comfortable driving something the size of a Leon, Golf, or smaller, there’s still plenty of choice for me.

Reactions: Marko70

Wilkesy

May 1, 2018
Tbh I have a garage but can’t fit a car init never mind a Leon. Previously had an Ibiza couldn’t even get that in. The house we moved in to had the kitchen converted so it extended into the garage slightly. Isn’t car insurance cheaper if you’ve got the option of parking in a garage ?

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Tbh I have a garage but can’t fit a car init never mind a Leon. Previously had an Ibiza couldn’t even get that in. The house we moved in to had the kitchen converted so it extended into the garage slightly. Isn’t car insurance cheaper if you’ve got the option of parking in a garage ?

I'm sure that I've read on one of these motoring forums that insurance can be cheaper if you don't keep the car hidden in a garage, but I never managed to work that one out - maybe outside under the illumination of street lights is considered safer than hidden behind a closed garage door, who knows!

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
Couple of years ago I changed the insurance on the wife's car from garaged to parked on the drive (coz she got too lazy to put it away) and that had no effect on the renewal premium.

We live in a rural area though so not sure that would apply everywhere.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm sure that I've read on one of these motoring forums that insurance can be cheaper if you don't keep the car hidden in a garage, but I never managed to work that one out - maybe outside under the illumination of street lights is considered safer than hidden behind a closed garage door, who knows!

Your insurance can sometimes be cheaper if you park on the road.

I think the insurer’s rationale for this is that a would-be perpetrator is less likely to know which house to break in to steal the car keys in order to steal the car, or with keyless cars, which house to position their signal amplification equipment next to in order to pick up the key fob signal and transmit it to the car.

Presumably insurers who charge less if you park on the road will have claims stats to back this up.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Often these scrotes seem to have run wild as kids “under the age of responsibility” it’s at that time to punish the parents when there offspring go astray, they might then take a more active role in parenting, not “out of sight, out of mind”. You might gather I’m an old fart, from a time when the local plod took you to one side and planted a a slap on the head or a foot up yer arse, did me no harm, pc society has gone mad, still if I caught some little **** at my car I’d rip his head off and piss doon the hole in his/her neck, no chance of repeat offending there.

Reactions: Rowan83

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

I read this too. I think it was summat along the lines. If it's in a garage, if thieves get into the garage they can work on getting into your car and starting it unseen till basically the sun comes up and you go to work. But if it's on a driveway or in the street, eg, if I hear a car alarm anywhere in my street I'm up the window like a whippet.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
How often do you see high performance car parked on drive with house where cheap UPVC doors are installed... Or non TS marked euro lock installed on fancy super security doors?

A big number of today's break ins are non targeted chances they just spotted nice car parked on drive with very poorly secured house... You already marked your house with nice car on drive so now you need to make it more difficult for "low lifers" to get to your house, if you like it or not this is the world we live in.

As always there is no guarantees they not get in but if you make it a more difficult to get in this may put "chances" off.

I work for UK biggest security company altrough for industrial department but trust me some people are just not treating house security as anything that is worth looking at.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Norbert and RUM4MO

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
How often do you see high performance car parked on drive with house where cheap UPVC doors are installed... Or non TS marked euro lock installed on fancy super security doors?

A big number of today's break ins are non targeted chances they just spotted nice car parked on drive with very poorly secured house... You already marked your house with nice car on drive so now you need to make it more difficult for "low lifers" to get to your house, if you like it or not this is the world we live in.

As always there is no guarantees they not get in but if you make it a more difficult to get in this may put "chances" off.

I work for UK biggest security company altrough for industrial department but trust me some people are just not treating house security as anything that is worth looking at.

Yes, and the fact that few if any of these what are actually cheap new doors get sold with the option of proper locks upgrade is crazy, my daughter's boyfriend is going through this "sorting out locks" on their house, I hope the Cupra survives until that task has been completed!

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Bar stewards

I have a Skoda Superb with the same engine as the Leon Cupra making 300hp (few tweaks along the way!) this is a total sleeper car - no one has a clue it's got the fire in its belly that it has!!! 100% recommend if you want some performance but not the 'shouty I'm a hot hatch' loook!
Mk3 280 one? I had a mk3 2.0tsi 220hp one and loved it except it kept spinning front wheels and i wanted more power and awd lol hence swapped to the cupra st300

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Yes, and the fact that few if any of these what are actually cheap new doors get sold with the option of proper locks upgrade is crazy, my daughter's boyfriend is going through this "sorting out locks" on their house, I hope the Cupra survives until that task has been completed!
Look for TS mark and star rating if upgrading locks three stars are the one to go for but one star anti sna would do as well (don't forget about the rear access as this is often ommited from any considerations too)

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
Look for TS mark and star rating if upgrading locks three stars are the one to go for but one star anti sna would do as well (don't forget about the rear access as this is often ommited from any considerations too)

3 star locks are the ones to go for and also worth getting 2 star handles at the same time. Good point on rear of the property, especially upvc patio doors as they normally use the euro lock.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members